Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #181
Midge
Faithful Gardener

As the three adventurers sat musing over a fire and roast goose, Blossomshade walked unnoticed towards their original camp. She knew that with every step that Aerin, Magor and Aelfwine had taken that morning, she'd come that much closer to being reunited with her lost brethren. What would they be like? Blossomshade wondered. She knew from what Radagast had found in Dol Guldur and other places that their lives, if they continued to be, would have been nothing but sad and cruel after they'd been forced from their gardens so long ago.

She pondered this - what had they gone through? There was no way of her knowing without them telling her. She rather hoped she would never know, but she knew that wisdom would not remain in ignorance of what had so deeply affected those she loved.

Then, in the midst of her reverie, she saw a light ahead and knew she'd found the camp again. "Who will meet me?" she murmured. Despite her worries about convincing the others, she did not fear and walked directly into the firelight where several members of the company were gathered around the fire. The others were, no doubt, doing what they usually did. Scouting, hunting, brooding, hiding, eating.

"We must go!" she boomed.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #182
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami heard the approach of the entwife but was used to the noise by now so she ignored the earth trembling steps but till the world was shaken by an almighty "we must go!"
"Good grief Boomshade, that was subtle! What has got your entish blood running so hot?"
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #183
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"We are close. Have we all grown so complacent that you did not notice the absence of three of your members? Only this morning did Magor, Aerin and Aelfwine set out to search for the next step in our quest. They have found the next step. It is not far - maybe two or three hours' march north of here."

She looked around at the shocked faces. "All right. We do not need to leave RIGHT now. But we should leave tomorrow morning at the latest. None of us were comfortable leaving the three of them where they were, but there was nothing else to be done. And if they are attacked, they will have no escape."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #184
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"So what have they found?" Radagast asked eagerly. "The spires? The canyon?"

In truth not many besides Tabrîl had seen the four depart in the morning, but their absence hadn't gone by unnoticed for long. When many travelled together as long and as far as Radagast's group had done, it wasn't hard to notice when there were suddenly less people and horses around then there had been an hour earlier. And Blossomshade herself was far from inconspicuous.

"They have found everything! Blossomshade boomed. "Well, besides the Guardian and Entwives themselves perhaps," she corrected herself. "But why wait when you can see for yourself?"

"The others are probably as safe as we are here. There are no robbers in this parts, only Dwarves." Radafast said calmly. "And I trust Magor and the others wouldn't have stayed behind to camp if they suspected it wasn't safe to do so. But I can't tear this camp up to go gallevanting through the falling dark unless we know whereto and what to expect. We'd be at more risk than the others if we did. Why don't you calm down, Blossomshade, and tell us what you and the others have found? We're all ears."
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #185
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"Well, the two of them set out this morning, and they have pretty good memories to remember the signs like they did. They didn't even have to ask for my help. And we didn't hear the Rohirrim girl sneak up on us! She'd probably make a good spy of some kind. Anyway, Aerin remembered your way-marker from the Orcs, the three-spired pillar and mentioned it. Magor and Aelfwine remembered the seer's visions. Once they'd spotted the pillar, it wasn't too hard to reach it, and from there it was only a few minutes before they'd found that canyon from the visions. If we can find any way around going in and out of that, it'll sure save time and worry. It took the three of them nearly four hours to traverse it! At the end of it was a nice little field in a sunken pit type of place. Sounded just like what the seer predicted. After they'd looked around a bit, they decided that the whirlwind a few days ago must have started in that sunken field and then Aerin came and told me to come get you all."

Blossomshade looked around and saw that Radagast was right in saying that the camp could hardly be taken down in a night and on the move in a morning. "Surely you're not going to send nobody in the morning!" Although no one in history could remember a time when one of the race of the Ents was that excited, she kept her dignity about her as she looked pleadingly at Radagast.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #186
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Barufiniel hadn't been worried when it had been known that some of the company had left the camp. She had guessed that they had gone hunting - possibly not Blossomshade, though, but the Entwife might still be with the others.

Blossomshade came back on her own, though - and she had interesting news. Barufiniel was amazed to hear that all the signs had been found and that her fellow company members now were right by the place they were looking for. Did this mean that their quest was going to be successful? Surely it must be more than mere coincidence?

She could understand the Entwife's haste, unusual as it was. Just as she understood Radagast's refusal to run off into the night.

"If you want to send someone early tomorrow morning, Radagast, I volunteer," she said. "I could get ready tonight, and set off tomorrow after an early breakfast. If you don't prefer us all to travel together, that is."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #187
Earniel

Radagast nodded at Barufiniel's suggestion.

"We all will be going in the morning," he assured the worried Entwife. "If the others have found all the signs that Teye told us about, then there is no reason for us to remain behind."

Radagast would loved to have gone straight to the field that very moment. If he was correct, then they had found the very doorstep of the Entwives' prison. But he travelled with a lot of people and animals who were ultimatedly his responsibility. Organisation was a must, so he would have to temper his eagerness. Still, it was exciting news, he had not expected such a success so soon.

"But if the canyon is as difficult as you say, we better send out scouts first to see if they can find a better route to reach the sunken field. Tabrîl and Barufiniel will go back with you to scout as soon as there is light tomorrow, Blossomshade. See if there is another route to the sunken field that doesn't lead through the canyon, or look if there is a good path to descend to the field. Even a slope that isn't too steep for horses will do. We may have to make our camp below on the field too. In the meantime we will pack up the camp here and follow you as soon as we get word."
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 AM   #188
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

It would have been difficult for Tabrîl not to have noticed Blossomshade's return. She doubted there was anyone within a mile of their encampment who had not - but Tabrîl had chosen to ignore the commotion. She had seen the others leave that morning, but despite thinking it inadvisable, she had said nothing. It wasn't as if they would have listened to her, anyway, and Tabrîl had settled into a comfortable routine. As far as anything could be considered either comfortable or routine about such a journey.

She had sat, as usual, at a small distance from the group, and paid little attention to their discussion until she heard Radagast mention her name. He was actually asking for her specifically? That was new. She wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but she stood and approached the group. Once she realized what Radagast intended, she gave Barufiniel an approving nod. Of all this strange company, Abasi excepted of course, it was the Noldorin elf she would perhaps trust most at her side in battle. That was not saying much, but it was something, and she was glad it was Barufiniel that would be with her and not one of the more excitable members of the group.

'We shall leave at first light,' she declared. 'It is right that we wait until then, you ought not to travel through darkness except in times of utmost necessity.' It was no hardship to Tabrîl herself, who had a love for the starlight, and little fear of the night's particular perils, but that information she was not about to volunteer. If Aelfwine and the other mortals chose to camp out alone, they were hardly her responsibility, and could see to their own safety.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #189
Varnafindë

Scouting with Tabrîl? That would be an interesting experience - one that Barufiniel was looking forward to. She thought they could do a good job together, especially after they had got to know each other a bit more over the last weeks. She noticed Tabrîl's approving nod, and gave a grateful smile back.

"I'll be ready at first light," she said. "And I'm glad that someone experienced will be in command. I have little experience with strategy, but I'm good at doing as I'm told."

Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #190
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'It is good to know,' commented Tabrîl, with the faintest glimmer of amusement in her eyes. It was certainly rare in the history of their peoples that Hivaranna'i took commands from Kindi, but then Barufiniel was not like those elves of long ago. Barufiniel, Tabrîl might be able to work with. She was an accomplished warrior in her own right, capable of the task ahead. She was clever, too, to recognize Tabrîl as leader. Likely she knew how seriously she would take such a responsibility, just as if she were leading a patrol of her own out through the Greenwood.

Except that Barufiniel wasn't Kindi.

Tabrîl didn't know if in this circumstance, it made much of a difference. She looked again at the other elf. 'I do not know that we will be much in need of strategy - we will either find the mortals' camp much as she-' here she indicated Blossomshade, '-left it, or we will be too late to be of any assistance. All the same, we shall be watchful, and prepared for what we may discover.'

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #191
Midge
Faithful Gardener

As they were instructed, Blossomshade, Barufiniel and Tabril set out at the first light to scout the sunken field. Instead of following the exact route that Magor, Aerin and Aelfwine had followed the day before, she took a route more directly to the sunken field.

When they arrived, they looked down into the field and saw the place where the three explorers had obviously built a fire that had burned out. Blossomshade turned to her companions, noting, "It looks like they didn't let it burn down, but put it out quickly - it's black and there are no ashes of a long fire." Turning back to the field, she made a guess on who would have been keeping watch: "Magor!"

"Magor!" She called again and he came stumbling out from under a shallow recess in the cliff walls.

"Blossomshade! And Baru and Tabril! It's good to see you! Is the rest of the camp coming? It would probably be a good idea to see about how to get in and out of here quicker than that ridiculous canyon. I'll help you look. Let me wake Aerin and Aelf and we'll scout from below."

Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #192
Varnafindë

Barufiniel was glad that there were no incidents on their way to the canyon - the less risk of there having been any trouble for their friends, she assumed.

She felt some concern about the fire having been put out, and she had time to worry for a few seconds while she waited for Magor to answer - but no more than that. She felt greatly relieved to hear his voice and to hear that he had Aerin and Aelfwine close by.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #193
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelwine was awakened from a dreamless sleep by Magor shaking her shoulder.
"Blossmshade is back with Tabril and Barufiniel. We need to help find a better way then that canyon so the others can join us," Aelfwine streched and stood.
"Of course," She said. "Anything is better than that,"

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #194
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

With the scouting party left from many hours and the camp will under way being demolished, Nami took stock of her surrounds. Far away into unknown lands they had traveled. She looked at for few belongings, worring about Aelfwine and even Aerin, not that she had been very close to her fellow elf.
Hearing the kind mutterings of Haldis to her mules. She wondered about the approaching end of the quest and she beginning to anticipant the lose of Haldis excelant stew! Smiling to her self Nami'ed potter over to Haldis to offer her help.
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #195
Earniel

A short distance from the field, but a few minutes on foot into the canyon, the scouting party found a seemingly suitable place to descend. Rainwater had carved a sloping ramp into the sandy canyon side. The ramp was broad enough to let a horse descend if led by hand. It lay partially hidden and could only be seen if one walked through the canyon coming from enclosed field, but not the other way around.

~~~

Back in the camp, the packing was going smoothely. Some used the extra time to check the snares they had laid out at a nearby rabbit warren the evening before, and returned with the promise of stewed rabbit for supper.

Hedrim caught a fancy to compliment those rabbits with a tasty deer-steak and left alone to hunt for it. Quite how he would catch a deer or anything else while wearing such shiny and conspicuous armour was anyone's guess. Branwyn humourously speculated on the tall tale Hedrim would no doubt tell when he got back with empty hands of how a suddenly appeared bear had made off with his deer.

Radagast packed up his scrolls for, what he hoped, was the last time. He could almost feel his beard quiver with excitement. So close! So close! Would they finally be able to solve the mystery of the last resting place of the Entwives, would any still remain? He also wouldn't be sorry if he could satisfy his curiosity regarding those ghostly creatures that had seemingly haunted every step of their quest and what they had to do with all this anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #196
Amael
Elven Warrior

As relative peace had begun to sweep the town of Ingwin, A'mael prepared to say goodbye to Ingwionis, who was leaving the town to rejoin the Adventurers and Radagast, wherever they might be. A'mael knew that she could not join him this time. Fortunately, the angry politics in the city had come to a halt and A'mael would have a relatively good time managing the city's finances and guilds. She had, in her short time there, accepted into being the formation of an Adventurers Guild and The Ingwin Guild of Wizards. She had formed her own guild, which involved mostly marksman training.

The evening came when Ingwionis would disappear into the east. She asked Ingwionis how long he'd be. "My husband, I know that without my help, you might not be ready to face some of the dangers alone. So please, be careful, and rely on stealth to defeat any enemies you encounter before reaching Radagast's party." A'mael smiled as she waited for a response from her husband.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #197
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Aerin looked around at how busy the field seemed, even though not all the Company had arrived yet. She was so glad that Tabril had decided to check up the canyon a little way and found a good, albeit slightly steep, ramp. None of those who'd traveled it the entire way had any intention of going near it again.

Now they waited for the rest of the Company to arrive and Aerin wondered where Radagast would lead them next, and how the next clues would manifest themselves.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #198
Varnafindë

It was decided that Barufiniel and Tabril should go back and tell the company where to go, that they needn't enter the canyon, and that a better descent had been found. Blossomshade stayed with Magor and the others.

Barufiniel didn't know whether they might even meet the company on their way - at least she expected them to be ready to depart as soon as the two scouts returned.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #199
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

"At least they won't have to go through the canyon," Aelfwine said as the two scouts left. "Too bad we could't have found that yesterday," She said with a mirthless smile.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #200
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Magor chuckled at Aelf's comment. "There should be some kind of colloquialism for that: 'Are you going through the canyon or am I?' type of thing... What do you think?"

He turned around and realized that the three of them were once again alone in the canyon, though not quite as stuck as they were last time.