Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #181
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well the others are St. Lous, Phoenix and Atlanta. They did that this year so that people wouldnt fuss about not being in "their" region like they do every year. So they send Syracuse to Denver which is actually the "Phoenix" region I guess. And Buffalo is East Rutherford? Quite odd. But if you dont worry about regions it shouldnt bother you. just look at brackets.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:35 PM   #182
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well in order to win my pool i gotta have Oklahoma State beat Duke. Any other possible option and Im out of first place. So Im in the auspicious position of having to cheer for Duke to win a game... Or maybe Ill just cheer for Connecticut and take second place. Its almost worth it.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #183
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, I hope you (they!?) win!
I went to the Pacer/Heat game yesterday. It was so wonderful! The crowd was huge, loud and totally fired up....I thought the place was going to EXPLODE when Reggie Miller hit his three. People went berserk...special music...Man! Besides wiinning, and Reggie hitting a three the only time the game got tied, my favorite part was one of the mascots, "Boomer" riding around on the motorized toilet. : Do all basketball teams have macots zipping around on motorized toilets during breaks?
Old 04-05-2004, 01:37 PM   #184
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well The University of Connecticut has an opportunity to do something no other school has ever done: sweep the NCAA National Championships in basketball. Tonight the men go against Georgia Tech and tomorrow night the women go against Tennessee. Its really quite possible they could pull it off since they are favored in both games. Really quite an amazing accomplishment.

As far as the games: I think the CT men should handle Georgia Tech pretty well (even though Tech beat CT earlier in the year). The match ups all seem to be in CT's favor. I dont see how Shencher can handle Okafor down low. Hes just too fast and hes a shot blocking machine. And even if he gets in foul trouble you got two more big men coming off the bench who are excellent themselves. I think they will be swamped down low. And I dont think Tech can ride their outside game for 40 minutes against this Connecticut defense.

I think the womens contest should be great. Have you seen that past three Tennessee games?? Talk about nail biters. It seems like they are the team of destiny but I cant see how anyone can pick against Connecticut who has won five of the last 10 championships and two in a row. They MAY have the best female basketball player of all time in Diana Taurasi who if youve ever seen her play you cant help but think of Larry Bird. And Taurasi simply doesnt allow CT to lose very often. And of course her surrounding cast is pretty darn good themselves. But these two teams are fairly evenly matched so it SHOULD be a real solid game.

Guess we will have to see if Connecticut can break the male/female NCAA Championship jinx. Looks pretty good though if you ask me. Course the game is just 40 minutes and anything can happen. As nice as it would be to win both if they lose both it will be devistating to the school.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #185
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
well in order to win my pool i gotta have Oklahoma State beat Duke. Any other possible option and Im out of first place. So Im in the auspicious position of having to cheer for Duke to win a game... Or maybe Ill just cheer for Connecticut and take second place. Its almost worth it.
0 for 2. Second place!

Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM   #186
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow! The Pacers just won their 60th game tonight! I have to pinch myself! This season has been such a pleasant suprise for Pacer fans. All those "close but no cigar" seasons, and now, the best record in the NBA! Boy, I sure hope we make to the finals!!!!!
What's happening out west? I thought the Lakers were back on track, steamrolling to first place....but they got sidetracked again? Minnesota to be #1? I think the playoffs should be pretty entertaining this year!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #187
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Woops forgot to post this friday night before things started. But its only been a day so Ill do it now.

Predictions on this year's playoffs? Heres the run down:

In the East

Indiana vs. Boston
Miami vs. New Orleans

Detroit vs. Milwaukee
New Jersey vs. New York

In the West

Minnesota vs. Denver
Sacramento vs. Dallas

San Antonio vs. Memphis
LA vs. Houston

Possible upsets could be Milwaukee over Detroit. And Dallas over a disorganized Sacramento. I think LA will manage to get by Houston and San Antonio should handle memphis (although Memphis has been playing fantastic) and that will give us a nice second round San Antonio-LA match up. On the other side of the bracket I see Minnesota waiting for whoever wins the LA-San Antonio series. In the east it seems likely that an Indiana-New Jersey match up could decide the eastern championship. Predictions anyone?

Old 04-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #188
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That sounds fairly reasonable, though I will give Houston the edge over LA, just cause that's what I want. I can't believe the Rockets lost by one stinking point yesterday. (I bet they can't believe it either! ) Those kind of losses are tough to take.

I thought everyone was suddenly keen on Detroit with the double Wallace thing, and them beating the Pacers just a couple games back.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #189
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well after todays game, Detroit looks pretty strong. So my pathetic attempts at picking a couple upsets probably wont come to fruition. But its just one game so far I guess. And Milwaukee looked awful awful sloppy. I cant imagine they will play like that all series.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 PM   #190
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

All right! The Bucks beat the Pistons! Still looking for that upset out west! (lakers....)
Old 04-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #191
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I-rex, I need some of your expert opinion and analysis:

It's looking like we won't have any upsets the first round of the playoffs - unless one of the teams that is down comes back in a big way. I had been hoping for Houston to take out the Lakers... I don't really like the Lakers!

So what do you think... the teams that swept the first round, keeping it as short as possible, saving their energy and proving their strength - are those the teams most likely to make finals? I believe they were San Antonio, Indiana and New Jersey.

Has Dallas dropped-off or have enough other west teams just passed them by? Can they keep their current lineup and move back UP in the west next year?

Why is Sacramento disorganized? (as you mentioned?) I haven't watched much playoff action yet, but saw the end of last night's game. Couldn't believe Chris Weber comes down with a rebound and steps out of bounds with 11 seconds left and the Kings just up by 2! ... or maybe I COULD believe it - kept having flashbacks to his famous 'time-out' call in the NCAA Championship game 11 years ago (poor guy - that's gonna haunt him forever... the joys of television!).

I think I wanted to ask some more - but that should do it for now.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:37 PM   #192
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
It's looking like we won't have any upsets the first round of the playoffs - unless one of the teams that is down comes back in a big way. I had been hoping for Houston to take out the Lakers... I don't really like the Lakers!
yeah the Lakers are well hated. And they did get lucky in a couple of those games but then again champions win close games. So you gotta give em that. But I think a lot of people will be please to note that even if they manage to win it all this year (and frankly Im still dubious) you wont ever see the Lakers as they are now. They could very well shatter apart completely. Ironically the only player who may be back could be Shaq. The three other super stars might be done. Bryant certainly is talking about moving on. And Jackson seems like hes really gotten tired of it all. But then who knows...

Quote:
So what do you think... the teams that swept the first round, keeping it as short as possible, saving their energy and proving their strength - are those the teams most likely to make finals? I believe they were San Antonio, Indiana and New Jersey.
Well they sure looked good. But New Jersey over New York with two of their players missing was a little bit of a gimme. But I can see Indiana rolling their way to the eastern conference final against new jersey/detroit. They seem unstoppable at this point. More and more its looking like a San Antonio - Indiana final.

Quote:
Has Dallas dropped-off or have enough other west teams just passed them by? Can they keep their current lineup and move back UP in the west next year?
Dallas had some injury issues this year but I mean if you look at their talent you just have to think wow. They are loaded. You can make the argument that they will never go deep or win it all with Nelson as coach. Although hes a good coach he doesnt emphasize defense enough and gathers strong offensive players with some defensive weaknesses who can in the end be defeated by solid offensive teams (Sacramento is showing this already).

Quote:
Why is Sacramento disorganized?
Im thinking it was just a matter of their chemistry peeking during the season and then when Webber came back near the end things kind of slid and then it got mental for them and their energy level and timing suffered. Sacramento has a reputation for being a really good team but easily initimidated and discouraged (others would say thats a nice way of saying they are a bunch of wimps and floppers aka Webber, Divac, etc.). Plus Webber is onviously still not healthy. He needs to start a season and get into a grove to be his most effective. Hes had some horrible games (2-23 shooting!!) and hes just GOT to be still hurting some.

Yeah I wasnt surprised he made another mental error. it seems to define his career. Both on the court and off. As good a talent as he is (and hes a pretty nice guy too) hes just been a plague upon every organization thats taken him on at every level of his development. Cant be all coincidence. He makes poor choices and can get sloppy. Its a shame though cause hes just an enormous talent.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:44 PM   #193
Valandil

Quote:
yeah the Lakers are well hated. And they did get lucky in a couple of those games but then again champions win close games. So you gotta give em that. But I think a lot of people will be please to note that even if they manage to win it all this year (and frankly Im still dubious) you wont ever see the Lakers as they are now. They could very well shatter apart completely. Ironically the only player who may be back could be Shaq. The three other super stars might be done. Bryant certainly is talking about moving on. And Jackson seems like hes really gotten tired of it all. But then who knows...
Isn't prevailing thinking that Bryant will in fact be the one to come back? That's how people are talking, since Bryant retracted statements about being elsewhere, Shaq has started to diminish in performance a bit - and since the Lakers cut off contract negotiations with Jackson.

Are you still big on Minnesota and Garnett? Or not so much anymore?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #194
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Isn't prevailing thinking that Bryant will in fact be the one to come back? That's how people are talking, since Bryant retracted statements about being elsewhere, Shaq has started to diminish in performance a bit - and since the Lakers cut off contract negotiations with Jackson.
well shaq has said if jackson goes so will he BUT where would he go? what team could sign him that has a chance of being one of the elite teams next year? golden state? And I wouldnt put a lock on what happens with Kobe really. Hes been all over the board this year the way hes been talking. and in good diplomatic style he always tends to rein himself in after a little ego explosion but somethings gotta give one way or the other. I saw an interview with Shaq just a couple weeks ago and he was talking about the long term potential of the lakers and how he saw the team evolving over the next half decade or so and he included himself in the picture but who knows with those guys really. And I heard today that Payton said he wants to go wherever Malone goes. So if Malone stays then looks like Payton would stay and Shaq would love that so where does that leave Kobe...

Quote:
Are you still big on Minnesota and Garnett? Or not so much anymore?
oh I think its just a matter of time before Garnett wins a title. But I would be a little surprised if its this year. The Spurs are a hard team to beat. He should win the MVP though.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #195
Valandil

Quote:
well shaq has said if jackson goes so will he BUT where would he go? what team could sign him that has a chance of being one of the elite teams next year? golden state? And I wouldnt put a lock on what happens with Kobe really. Hes been all over the board this year the way hes been talking. and in good diplomatic style he always tends to rein himself in after a little ego explosion but somethings gotta give one way or the other. I saw an interview with Shaq just a couple weeks ago and he was talking about the long term potential of the lakers and how he saw the team evolving over the next half decade or so and he included himself in the picture but who knows with those guys really. And I heard today that Payton said he wants to go wherever Malone goes. So if Malone stays then looks like Payton would stay and Shaq would love that so where does that leave Kobe...
Oh... I bet SOMEONE would pick up Shaq! Maybe Orlando (again!) - maybe even the Bulls! I would think a LOT of eastern teams would love to have such a dominant center (incl New York, New Jersey, New Orleans - all those "New's") Just not sure how effective the Lakers have been with Malone and Payton lately - and how much longer careers they (and O'Neal) realistically have. I won't be surprised if some of these other stars are not back next year and the team is re-shaped around Kobe Bryant - for better or for worse. Then again - we may have to wait and see how his trial comes out. Personally, I don't expect he'll be spending any time in prison, but we'll see.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #196
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Oh... I bet SOMEONE would pick up Shaq! Maybe Orlando (again!) - maybe even the Bulls! I would think a LOT of eastern teams would love to have such a dominant center (incl New York, New Jersey, New Orleans - all those "New's") Just not sure how effective the Lakers have been with Malone and Payton lately - and how much longer careers they (and O'Neal) realistically have. I won't be surprised if some of these other stars are not back next year and the team is re-shaped around Kobe Bryant - for better or for worse. Then again - we may have to wait and see how his trial comes out. Personally, I don't expect he'll be spending any time in prison, but we'll see.
I dont think so either. But its certainly a factor to keep in mind. Its hard to win championships when yer serving 40 to life. On the basketball message board I go to theres a lot of talking about what Kobe would average if all the other stars on the team leave LA. Most think hed easily be in the high 30s with close to 10 boards and 10 assists a game. That would be impressive but hes certainly capable of it and if he were the only super star on the team its guaranteed his numbers would shoot up.

I read this long article on what would be best for Kobe to do considering sheer numbers. Apparently next year theres some sort of change in the state of the current collective bargaining agreement that would impact his contract situation if he doesnt use his contract termination option. Its all very complicated and I kinda got bleery eyed about half way through the article (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_6819.shtml) but it boiled down to the fact that as far as maximizing his financial numbers opting out of his contract then resigning with LA before next year is the way to go. But of course theres tons of other factors here. Maybe he just wants to be out of the shaq's shadow although having a player like Shaq on your team is only to your benefit when you are a player like kobe I think.

Yeah Im sure the Isiah Thomas would love to have Shaq on the knicks but my question was how many teams could actually afford him? It would take some restructering in many cases and perhaps a big short term contract and you gotta wonder if Shaq would be fine with that. Also, Im betting theres only so many teams hed be willing to go to (do you really think he would want to go to a team like the Bulls or the Magic where theres no way hed be in contention to win anything in the post season?). Its awful complicated. And people like to say one thing just to send a message so you never know whats true and whats grand standing. Guess we'll see by next october.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #197
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Maccabi Tel Aviv is the Europe championship!

We've just won Skipper Bologna in 44 points!
Although only 4 Israelis really played during the game - of about 10 players. But it's still our money.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #198
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Maccabi Tel Aviv is the Europe championship!

We've just won Skipper Bologna in 44 points!
Although only 4 Israelis really played during the game - of about 10 players. But it's still our money.
Skipper Balogna? What's that Rad? Oh yeah....CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:23 AM   #199
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Skipper Balogna? What's that Rad? Oh yeah....CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Bologna is a city in Italy. I don't know what Skipper is.

Thanks. It's the biggest difference in the history of Europe Finals, and the biggest score.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #200
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Bologna is a city in Italy. I don't know what Skipper is.
Hmmmm......(takes a quick swig of coffee, and a deep breath...forces smile...) Gee Rad, So "Skipper Bologna" is just something stupid you say, for fun?

Please, tell me more about the European basketball league your team has won the championship of. "Spell it out" (figure of speech meaning talk plainly ) for me please. Is the European finals a professional league championship? What countries are involved?

"4 Israelies played during the game of ten players...on Israelie money"....what do you mean by that?

Thanks. It's the biggest difference in the history of Europe Finals, and the biggest score.

Last edited by Lizra : 05-02-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote