Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2002, 04:28 PM   #41
olsonm
Elf Lord

Then why hadn't Luke heard of him? He knew of the clone wars.

As long as Luke didn't become famous he would go unnoticed. That's why Owen didn't want him to go to the academy.

Last edited by olsonm : 05-21-2002 at 04:31 PM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:33 PM   #42
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Luke was brought up as a farmer in a remote area. Maybe his uncle never even told him what his true name was. Or just said that the famous Anakin Skywalker - wasn't related to him. We know that Owen had lied to Luke about who his father was - because when Obi-Wan tells him. He says that his father never fought anything. I can't remember the exact words. But Ben answers back "That's what your uncle wanted you to believe."

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:34 PM   #43
Sween
im quite stupid

people would of know who anakin was for sure. he would of been known by all of the senete at the time and by a lot of the military and the soldiers which i asume he will serve alongside.

what the world probably believes was Anakins fate was he confrounted Sidious and was killed by a misterious person called Vader not that they were the same person.

its clear that watto knew that anakin went on to become a jedi knight which im sure he would of shared with his associates so people would be aware that a) anakin was a jedi and b) his mother was a slave who married cleg lars.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #44
olsonm
Elf Lord

Right! Why would anyone amongst the farmers associate Luke with Anakin? It isn't necessary that Anakin was famous amongst the farmers, afterall Luke didn't know who Obi-wan Kenobi was.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:41 PM   #45
Sween
im quite stupid

they very cleverly stated in the movie that Mos espa and Mos esiley were very far apart. so if we take this into consideration where anakin would of been well know (mos espa) was the same distance as say London and LA are from each other there is no reason why luke should find out. Tattione all came across as a place with little to no comunity bassically a lot of individuals just getting on with there lives.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:43 PM   #46
olsonm
Elf Lord

exactly. and no reason for people to find out about Luke.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:58 PM   #47
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Actually, after Episode III comes out, I heard they're going to rework the entire series for an "Archival Edition," including new scenes and plot hole fixes. John Williams will re-score the movies too to provide more musical continuity, such as inserting the Imperial March in ANH. It should be great.
*JAWDROP*

As my people say- WOOT!
Old 05-21-2002, 05:14 PM   #48
Sween
im quite stupid

The Origionals will need to be changed to make sence to the new generations of fan. A few things will need to be changed

A) the standard of lightsaber fighting. In ANH the vader/obi wan fight just looks silly now and doesnt make sence.

B) why luke can learn to use the foce in amatter of mouths not a life time of training like the other jedi
Old 05-21-2002, 05:35 PM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
A) the standard of lightsaber fighting. In ANH the vader/obi wan fight just looks silly now and doesnt make sence.
Actually. No. Remember who are the ones who still have the skills. Darth Vader. A machine. Obi Wan. An old man. Yoda. An old whatever the feck he is. There is no young blood to teach Luke. So of course Luke's gonna develop a rusty, slow technique; his teachers are all out of shape!

Quote:
B) why luke can learn to use the foce in amatter of mouths not a life time of training like the other jedi [/B]
He can't. It clearly shows that he developed it over the period of the three movies. And even in the end, his technique is hardly "perfect". Also, consider who he is the son of. Anakin had the highest count of midichlorians EVER. You think it's possible Luke might have gotten a pretty strong count as well?

Now: take this lightsaber, and go choke on it.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #50
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually, I really wonder if a lack of ability enough to explain the lack of apparent skill in ANH/ESB/RTJ lightsaber duels.

I mean, think about it. For you or I, swordfighting would inolve learning a number of particular strikes and how to respond to each. But the jedi base much of what they do on two factors- They know what's going to happen before it does, and they can act with superhuman precision.

And I can't help thinking, if I could forsee what my opponent was going to do, I could kick some serious butt.

After all, this is a kid who by the end of the second movie has learned how to deflect blaster bolts- do you honestly believe that he couldn't move a little faster when facing vader?

Although (and this touches on force use as well) i can understand the lack of yoda-esque ricks on lukes part. He wasn't able to use the force to do that. But I still think It's best that we acknowledge the root cause of the problem-which is a lack of competent scripting for the scenes.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #51
olsonm
Elf Lord

What problem? Luke is not an expert swordsman. He has to be careful with Vader or he'll get his butt kicked. Plus, I don't remember Obi-wan or Anakin moving superfast against Dooku.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:54 PM   #52
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

you're right, they didn't...
Old 05-21-2002, 10:01 PM   #53
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

the reason for the fights being different is beacuse inn episode 4-6 kendo was the basis for the jedi fights

while in epi I ray park( darth maul )is a champion wushu stylist

I've yet to see Aotc but seems that they are using more of the flashy entertaining acrobatic chinese arts the less flashy direct japanese moves of the earliet episodes

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 07:20 AM   #54
Sween
im quite stupid

acctually obi wan would of been the same age as dooku is in ep 2. so he is not that old. it is fair to say that vaders abalities were dimished due to his mechincal body.

the way i look at the films these days and the only reason that you can use to think why couldnt a person like yoda with the skills weve seen him use now not beat the living daylights out of vader is the simple fact against luke he really did not want to hurt him if he wanted to of killed him he would of destroyed him.

the conflict within him stoped him showing his true power