Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by gandalfstormcrow
Favorite Elf-King is Thingol.
Oh, good heavens!!! What are you thinking?!

Anglorfin: I agree Turgon was a great king. The whole concept of a hidden city was a great defense. Well, until it wasn't hidden anymore. Maeglin *spits on ground* was a rat!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Oh, good heavens!!! What are you thinking?!
Sheeeeesh. Not even I have that low opinion of Thingol. I wonder why the supporters of FF, had that attitude towards Thingol.
Could it be perhaps because they feel that Thingol murdered FF in a way.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Sheeeeesh. Not even I have that low opinion of Thingol. I wonder why the supporters of FF, had that attitude towards Thingol.
Could it be perhaps because they feel that Thingol murdered FF in a way.
That's exactly why.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:35 AM   #4
BelegS
Enting

Finrod. I have no Attitude towards Thingol, so it would be better not to Generalize the word "supporter."
Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Anglorfin: I agree Turgon was a great king. The whole concept of a hidden city was a great defense. Well, until it wasn't hidden anymore. Maeglin *spits on ground* was a rat!!
*spits on ground also*

Quote:
Finrod. I have no Attitude towards Thingol, so it would be better not to Generalize the word "supporter."
Why? Also, welcome BelegS- the name of one of my fave characters! w00t!(Sorry Ruinel)
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I have no Attitude towards Thingol, so it would be better not to Generalize the word "supporter."
Yes, there is definitely a difference between a supporter and a true fan of FF. My mistake.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:56 PM   #7
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Strider

Definantly Fingolfin- courageuos, brave, strong and when enraged- very deadly.

Copy and past the URL and press continue:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=437705
Aragorn_of_the_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Gil-ga.... Ow! Finrod Felagund.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 PM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Gil-ga.... Ow! Finrod Felagund.
=.0 That's more like it!

Maedhros: did I or did I not say that Turgon was a good king also? Sheesh! Just because I think that Thingol was a rotten king has nothing to do with Finrod (mostly). He was just a bad king, and a jerk as a father. And that outweighs anything he did to any one person. Sheesh! You're so quick to jump to conclusions.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:13 PM   #10
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Sheesh! You're so quick to jump to conclusions.
I have no idea what you are talking about.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Silly little pup... you said...
Quote:
So, I get the impression you are being judgmental toward myself and SGH. When in fact, I have my own reasons for not liking Thingol that are completely separate from Finrod. Ok?
Old 04-21-2003, 12:25 AM   #12
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
So, I get the impression you are being judgmental toward myself and SGH. When in fact, I have my own reasons for not liking Thingol that are completely separate from Finrod. Ok?
Could be, but I think that the fact that Thingol knew that Beren had the Ring of Barahir, and that it would have been very probable that Beren would ask FF for help in his impossible quest, and endind up with FF's death is not a factor that I think would sit well with FF's fans.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:29 AM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
...probable that Beren would ask FF for help in his impossible quest, and endind up with FF's death is not a factor that I think would sit well with FF's fans.
It doesn't sit well. But I am quite capable of stepping back and assessing Thingol outside of this. Thingol is a twerp.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:36 AM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

He was at times, anyway.

But Thingol /did/ eventually come to accept the love his daughter had for beren. And after meeting Beren, his opinion of men was changed enough that he was willing to raise Turin as his own son
. He wasn't completely bad- Melian saw something in him that was enough to win her love. And that's no easy task.

Not that I would know. ]:-)

Last edited by Wayfarer : 04-21-2003 at 12:37 AM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:50 AM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
He was at times, anyway.
"At times"????? Woooo, you are stretching it. Really, you are.

Quote:
But Thingol /did/ eventually come to accept the love his daughter had for beren. And after meeting Beren, his opinion of men was changed enough that he was willing to raise Turin as his own son. [/b]
True, but Beren had to lose a hand for the first thing to happen and die for the second thing to happen. (Although, Luthien was able to petition for his return.)

Quote:
He wasn't completely bad- Melian saw something in him that was enough to win her love. And that's no easy task.
He probably had a cute nacca.

However, I just felt sorry for her, the whole time... just pitty.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:48 AM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hacca. with an 'h'.

as in 'Lissë eldahacca, n*s, vanya telqui. Ruinel ruscowen.'
Old 04-21-2003, 12:43 PM   #17
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Hacca. with an 'h'.
Oh, how funny. On my cheat sheet, I've scribbled so much that my 'h' and 'n' look alike. I must learn to take my time and write legibly. What is even more funny is 'nac-' is the root for 'bite'! I'll let your imagination roam for a while on that one.
Quote:
originally posted by Wayfarer (a.k.a.: Danger Boy)
as in 'Lissë eldahacca, n*s, vanya telqui. Ruinel ruscowen.'
Vantal úvarna tië. Inyë útulca Atani n*s. Hanyal úcaurë hon va n*s? Hanyan saiwa órë, saiwa va Anar! Áva ustal haccalla!!

Last edited by Ruinel : 04-21-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:02 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Vantal úvarna tië. Inyë útulca Atani n*s. Hanyal úcaurë hon va n*s? Hanyan saiwa órë, saiwa va Anar! Áva ustal haccalla!!
Walk-you unsafe path. Even I not-steadfast human woman. Understand-you hot heart, hot (I will not/possessive) the Sun!
I won't not-feet!!

Yeah... I'm sure. :P

Last edited by Wayfarer : 04-24-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:27 PM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Walk-you unsafe path. Even I not-steadfast human woman. Understand-you hot heart, hot (I will not/possessive) the Sun!
I won't not-feet!!

Yeah... I'm sure. :P
Criminey!!!! (note to self: must get better at Quenya to get Wayfarer back... but good) lol!

It's supposed to say: "You walk (an) unsafe path. Even I (am) not (a) weak Atani maiden. Possess you no fear from me as woman? I possess hot spirit, hot as the sun! Do not burn you your ass!"

Just realized that I needed to use '-on' ending not 'possess'. (#$!%%^@#^^@%$%^@^!$#$^$^$^@$!#$)
*bangs head on wall, 7 times* #$$#^%!$!#$%$%@%@%!!!!!

crap
Old 04-25-2003, 07:35 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Nyah, ]:-)