Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Those both sound interesting. What kind of fairytale? Does it involve Elves? Or some of the water Maiar or something?
No Elves. I deliberatedly set the story in the period where the Eldar had stopped visiting and it's a small village, so they wouldn't come there anyway. But Uinen does feature heavily and even Ossë had a cameo.

Quote:
The second: Sort of a "Hay-ward forced to become Detective" thing - huh? I like that.
I am not familiar with the trope in question. But it was supposed to be rather mellow, though, sort of 'local, sleepy copper discovers the recent uptick in cow-rustling is only the tip of something more sinister and ends up -rather inadvertedly- saving the day.'
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
:
:
:
I am not familiar with the trope in question. But it was supposed to be rather mellow, though, sort of 'local, sleepy copper discovers the recent uptick in cow-rustling is only the tip of something more sinister and ends up -rather inadvertedly- saving the day.'
I got "hayward" from LOTR's Prologue - the section on Shirrifs, where JRRT basically says that they were chasing cows more than people. But though I knew he used a distinctive word, I had to look through the prologue to remember it. And I had to look up "trope" to be sure of what you were saying.

Cow-rustling... Fell Winter... Cows vs Wargs!!! *shudder*

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I got "hayward" from LOTR's Prologue - the section on Shirrifs, where JRRT basically says that they were chasing cows more than people. But though I knew he used a distinctive word, I had to look through the prologue to remember it.
Heh, I didn't recall Tolkien had a bit on them in the prologue. I just had a look at the section in question but luckily it sounds exactly about what I had in mind so that's good.

Quote:
And I had to look up "trope" to be sure of what you were saying.
Yeah, I've been spending way too much time reading on the site TV tropes lately. It hasn't only added a new word to my vocabulary but it's a genuine time-sink as well.

Quote:
Cow-rustling... Fell Winter... Cows vs Wargs!!! *shudder*
Now you're getting there! It has potential, no?

And don't underestimate the cows just yet. Can be nasty buggers if they put their mind to it...
Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post

Yeah, I've been spending way too much time reading on the site TV tropes lately. It hasn't only added a new word to my vocabulary but it's a genuine time-sink as well.
Oh, why did you have to remind me of that wonderful site?! SUCH fun!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Earniel

Come back, come back, to TV Tropes we take you!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Strider

Both the Kin Strife and the Division of Arnor are good RP/Fan-fic periods. I once started (on another site) an RP based on the division of Arnor. It ended up being more a fan-fic I wrote out myself. It started in the waning, decaying, sparsely populated city of Annuminas in the year 775 in the last years of King Elendur. The summary was the King knew his time was growing short, and wanted to see his son take the crown, but he feared his disruptive and somewhat unruly grandsons. The younger two were appointed commanders of the armies of the south and of the east, which led to their gathering loyalties in those areas and set the foundation of the later split.

other times that would be good for RP/fan-fic writing would be the wars of Gondor and Rohan during the Long Winter of 2758-59, the time of Cirion and Eorl, and a tale around the death of the sons of Folcwine in the year 2885.

I believe your tale about Rhuadur is posted on Henneth Annun?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Draken
Elf Lord

Bump...

I like the idea of exploring the bits of the story around the edges of the page, so to speak. Just what were the Blue Wizards up to in the East? What intrigues were played out on Umbar's bustling waterfront? That sort of thing.

My own, very slowly progressing, fanfic is set in a strategically irrelevant place north of Lothlorien in the build up to the War of the Ring. I like that feeling of miles-from-the-action obscurity.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote