Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #301
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yea, I'd agree in both of those two cases the employer quite clearly overstepped the bounds- though the BA case came from a general ban on any neckwear after a shift to open-neck uniforms- but clear cases of employers imposing their own standards over the rights of their employees.

Note though that this was in the workplace, rather than trying to impose religious standards on outside activities- still, in my opinion anyway, it goes too far.

Anyway, good to see conservatives standing up for workers' rights- makes a nice change!

As for the other cases mentioned: the clerk who refused to register same-sex couples should be transferred for failing to fulfill her duties.

The marriage counsellor raises all sorts of questions- could a Christian complain of a secular counsellor who advised him to treat his wife as an equal in defiance of scripture? or vice-versa, a Christian, Muslim, Orthodox Jew, Hindu counsellor who tells the couple that the problem is the woman's refusal to acknowledge her husband's headship?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #302
inked
Elf Lord

European Court rules:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Apparently personal wishes do not constitute overwhelming identity with marriage properly understood.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #303
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Rick Santorum does it again- check the quote on this "outreach" Hanukkah message. Oy vey!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20..._santorum.html

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #304
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Not sure I get it. Is it because he is quoting Christ on a Hanukkah message?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #305
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Not sure I get it. Is it because he is quoting Christ on a Hanukkah message?
Not only quoting Jesus, but this message in particular:

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Unlike the Jews, who, by not following him, are presumably still stumbling around in darkness.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #306
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

OK, so he's not the brightest then. Shame he's dropped out of the race in that case.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #307
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yea, it was fun while it lasted.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #308
inked
Elf Lord

Don't worry, guys, there are plenty of bloopers left. Obama's still running. Not only can he not make sure his microphone is off while conversing with the Russian on stage, he cannot control his media consultants!

1) Hillary Rosen attacks on mothers based on spurious assumptions http://freebeacon.com/dem-strategist...y-in-her-life/

2) http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...er_636942.html Obama's travel plan and the poor recovery

3) http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...ll-too-common/

and, no doubt, many more to come....

The fun's just begun!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 04-13-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #309
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its pretty weak to try to peg Obama with the Hillary Rosen gaff regarding Romney's wife (which was purposefully taken completely out of context by the republican spin doctors so they could actually try to convince americans that they are the party that supports women despite recently trying to redefine rape, limit birth control and cut food aid to low income mothers but never mind that for now...) Shes a lobbyist not a member of the administration. And Obama chastised the statement in the very best way he could have: that talking about the spouses of those running for political office is never a good idea. So you are going to have to dig a little deeper to find cringe inducing gaffs on Obamas side that weve been seeing with great regularity over the past year or so by the various republican candidates. Why we could do a whole page on the human gaff machine that was Rick Perry in Just a few months of running, let alone Santorum, Gingrich, Romney, etc. There were periods during the last year or so where they just seemed to exist to trade off making mindbogglingly laughable comments.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #310
inked
Elf Lord

Well, not that we should limit it to the USA politicos:

Here's a Euro look at religion and individualism as it actually plays out:
http://www.koreaherald.com/opinion/D...20120412001037

"The European Union, the United States, and the world’s other democracies have the capacity to raise the issue of religious persecution; what they lack is the will. The EU should follow the example of the U.S. State Department, which publishes a comprehensive annual report on religious freedom around the world.

Another possibility is to raise the issue through bilateral agreements with countries where Christians are persecuted. That way, it would become clear that these states cannot operate with impunity when it comes to their religious minorities, whether they profess Christianity or any other faith.

By Fiorello Provera

Fiorello Provera is vice chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the European Parliament. ― Ed."
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #311
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yep, religious persecution of all should be denounced- don't forget us poor atheists!:

"Indian skeptic charged with blasphemy."
http://boingboing.net/2012/04/13/ind...rged-with.html

His crime being that he showed that water appearing to be leaking from the feet of a statue of Jesus was not a miracle, but simply a result of a broken drain. For this the Catholic Church feels he should be locked up.

And an Indonesian atheist imprisoned for "insulting" Islam.

http://boingboing.net/2012/04/13/ind...rged-with.html

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #312
inked
Elf Lord

And let's not forget Swedish Minister of Culture activities in favor of racists, or should that be violating politically correct taboo? This one has me totally boondoggled:

http://www.friatider.se/shocking-pho...2wzf1.facebook