Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I never thought of it that way. How perfect must one be to never even misstep? It does not seem to be a sin to stub your toe... Perhaps, though, if the Fall of Man had never happened here, we would never have to stub our toes. At the risk of sounding slightly ... flippant... However, perhaps along with death, another of the wages of sin is toe-stubs.
I take it Lewis never considered cuts and bruises, but the moment I start to walk around bare-foot, a stubbed toe is not a possibility but a certainty (but maybe that says more about me, than Lewis ). But man, your characters are going to be in for a culture shock.

Quote:
Sounds like a dandy intro for your Hobbit, Earn, if you don't already have something planned for him (if you do, I promise I won't be offended...).
You know, that suggestion sounds awesome as I hadn't planned anything yet. As an artist, the green skin will surely fascinate him. Heh, maybe your twins will help him invent modern art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
They're both loved and hated by their people. Loved because they are the only ones who can create new weaves, and the only ones who can sing ALL weaves, hated because they can manipulate emotion through the Weave. While this may not seem like much at first, Weavers (who become Weavers completely involuntarily, and it's often considered a curse by their family), become such in their early teen years - the most selfish times in their lives. Because of the power of their gift/curse, they rarely learn to behave themselves in the way that teenagers have to learn - they can get pretty much anything they want by manipulating emotion through the weave. As a whole, Weavers are selfish, egotistical, and manipulative - not good characteristics for someone with as much power as they have.
I'm not entirely keen to play against such a powerful character, since ours don't have any defense against it. So may I humbly suggest a compromise? I'm not the game master here, so take or leave my suggestion if it doesn't suit. No hard feelings.

I'm not familiar with the book, but Middle-earth is born from music made by the Ainur, so to speak. Your character will probably be sensitive to that musical aspect. But may be the world is in another pitch or tune than his homeworld, it would make sense that there is some difference between worlds. So that the many weaves your character knows, don't sound quite right in Middle-earth and barely work. That would mean your character will have to learn the right tunes, or become attuned to the weave of Middle-earth, before he can wield it to the same effect his skills have on his homeworld. That would give you something to build on, while enabling you to make use of his full powers eventually, just not right away.