Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Well, I was thinking about that. In addition to putting words in Maleldil's mouth, it could be that would be an opportunity to make them seem omnipotent, which I don't want to do.

I think what I'll do is let them hear from him a couple of times in Middle-Earth, but gradually he speaks to them less.
That sounds like a good way to handle it. I think any perceived omnipotence would depend entirely on the way in which we wrote it. I can't imagine that all the other characters would react to one of the twins saying something like 'my God is speaking to me' in the same way Perelandrans would.

Quote:
but they will need to learn caution and how to deal with people who have evil natures, etc.
Yes! And not even just evil people but people who are basically good but also flawed - telling the difference between the two might be tricky for someone with a prelapsarian mindset.

Quote:
I was thinking I'd write a couple of posts in Perelandra. That way, if you're just reading the story, you can get a feel for where they're coming from and their way of life, etc.
Sounds good! You're welcome to fit those posts in wherever you like, since they're not directly impacting the other characters just yet.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
That sounds like a good way to handle it. I think any perceived omnipotence would depend entirely on the way in which we wrote it. I can't imagine that all the other characters would react to one of the twins saying something like 'my God is speaking to me' in the same way Perelandrans would.
One of the problems with this is that if Maleldil still speaks to them as He would in Perelandra, I'm afraid they would listen to Him over their companions, which, if any of the companions are convinced that Maleldil is a delusion, could result in a rift or even a fight.

And if I were to have Maleldil speak at the wrong moment or say the wrong thing (I am not God, after all), I could ruin a story.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

oh i think i may play Anahera from a godless sociality! may create a bit few debates! i also thought i may have her not really understand weston but some thing a little like it, could lead to a few misunderstanding.
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
oh i think i may play Anahera from a godless society! may create a bit few debates! i also thought i may have her not really understand weston but some thing a little like it, could lead to a few misunderstanding.
This confused me out of my mind for a few seconds because there is a character named Weston in the book, Perelandra.

Then I figured out you were talking about languages, not people.

ALSO: I really want someone to freak out when my characters stumble into Middle-Earth. They will
a) look like humans, except their skin is green,
b) be completely naked, and
c) have been running toward the portal (they're trusting, remember?) and of course fallen over one another as they are tumbling down out of the portal.

Any volunteers?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 06-10-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote