Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I don't know.. I mean, he wrote the prophecy that she would die FIRST, then used her two more times after that (and as the Emerald Witch, it was long after LWW). I think Lewis knew what he was doing.

I'm also with Earniel. If there had been no battles, I doubt the Witch would have died on her own of Natural causes.

Are you talking about the prophecies the Beavers recited? because I don't think it says the witch died. I think it says, "Winter meets its death".

*goes checking*

Ah! The prophecies are as follows:

Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight.
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more.
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death.
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone
Sits at Cair Paravel in throne
The evil time will be over and done.

Mr. Beaver mentions "another prophecy" and that "it's a saying in Narnia time out of mind" that when two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve sit on those four thrones, it will be the end of the Witch, not only her reign, but of her life. However, there isn't a handy rhyme to go with this one, so Mrs. Beaver may have been mis-paraphrasing a prophecy or even just reciting a rumor that had been a hundred years growing.

And she may have really died. In Prince Caspian, the hag (which there were some still around even thousands of years after the Golden Age in Narnia) mentioned how you can always get a witch back. It's a possibility that she came back as the Emerald Witch because some stupid hag in the Western Woods decided to get freaky with the spells one day.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
And she may have really died. In Prince Caspian, the hag (which there were some still around even thousands of years after the Golden Age in Narnia) mentioned how you can always get a witch back. It's a possibility that she came back as the Emerald Witch because some stupid hag in the Western Woods decided to get freaky with the spells one day.
I don't think she came back as the Emerald Witch - I think the EW was a different one of the same kind, perhaps her second cousin fifty times removed or something like that. A bit like the family relationship between Arwen and Aragorn.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote