Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Which sucks. I think we've been over this, but that just takes away whatever deity he has and just makes him some sort of superhero who doesn't know for sure that everything will be okay, but his powers give the good guys the upper hand.
I agree completely.

Quote:
The whole point of Aslan is that he is the God-figure in Narnia. There are traces of God (all-knowing, all-powerful, loving), traces of Jesus (LWW.. He died...) and even traces of the Holy Spirit (the feelings the children get when they hear his name the first time, the peace Lucy feels after hearing the albatross in the Dark Island in VDT).
And there's not enough of that in this movie. There's no real divine intervention. Aslan sits still far away in the forest, doing nothing until he's sought out and asked for help, which is not the impression I get in the book.

Quote:
However, I'm sure that Prince Caspian would have made a lot of money if they'd called it something else. It just probably made more because it was hiding behind a name that C.S. Lewis made wonderful.
And still it seems to make less than The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which wasn't distorted quite as much.

The second objection I have against the movie - although I like it generally in spite of some serious distortions - is that it's making Peter so arrogant. It makes for more tension in the movie, of course, but unnecessarily so. In the book he isn't arrogant at all - perhaps that's not realistic, but then again these are fairytales, not psychological novels. With the medieval air there is to the Narnian world, Peter could have been left some more chivalry.

"We haven't come to take your place, you know, but to put you into it."

Perhaps the single line I missed most from the book. Not just because it's a great line, but because it shows the purpose of their quest. And Peter misses that purpose in the movie.

Btw, what did you think of the Jadis scene? I think that was one of the better additions to the plot.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote