Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Gil-Galad 2.0
Hobbit

Anybody ever heard of the Uvanimor

I heard this thing about some creatures called the Uvanimor they are a group including giants, ogres, and some others. If anyone has a quote, book, or website that would help learn some information on the uvanimor I would appriciate it.

Gil-Galad 2.0.
Gil-Galad 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Sorry never heard of them.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
Alcuin
Salt Miner

I found a reference to the Úvanimor in Shaping of Middle-earth, “The earliest annals of Valinor”, p 350 in the paperback edition. The Vanimor, or Valarindi, are “the Children of the Valar, ‘who were many and very beautiful’, are counted among the Vanimor”. Christopher Tolkien says that his “father was trying to emphasize the generative powers of the great Valar, though afterwards all trace of the conception disappeared.” The word Vanimor is translated as “the Fair,” so it stands to reason that Úvanimor could translate as “the Ugly.”

In Book of Lost Tales, Part Two, “Turambar and the Foalókë”, p 136,
Quote:
Linwë (i.e., Tinwelint) guarded the gold, and he had a great necklace made by certain Úvanimor (Nautar or Nauglath). (Úvanimor have been defined in an earlier tale as ‘monsters, giant, and ogres’, … Nauglath are Dwarves…) In this Necklace the Silmaril was set; but the curse of gold was on him, and he defrauded them of part of their reward. The Nauglath plotted, and got aid of Men; Linwë was slain in a raid, and the gold carried away.
Linwë or Tinwelint is Elwë or Thingol of the final form of the tales. The Necklace is of course the Nauglam*r, which in this early version was made by the Nauglath, who are Úvanimor, “the Ugly.” The flavor of this survives into the final form in Silmarillion, “Of the Ruin of Doriath”, p 279 in the paperback edition:
Quote:
...the greatest of the works of Elves and Dwarves were brought together and made one; ... the countless jewels of the Nauglam*r did reflect and cast abroad in marvelous hues the light of the Silmaril amidmost. Then Thingol, being alone among them, made to take it up and clasp it about his neck; but the Dwarves in that moment withheld it from him, and demanded that he yield it up to them, saying: ‘By what right does the Elvenking lay claim to the Nauglam*r, that was made by our fathers for Finrod Felagund who is dead? It has come to him but by the hand of Húrin…, who took it as a thief out of the darkness of Nargothrond.’ But Thingol ... in his wrath and pride … gave no heed to his peril, but spoke to them in scorn, saying: ‘How do ye of uncouth race dare to demand aught of me, Elu Thingol, Lord of Beleriand, whose life began by the waters of Cuiviénen years uncounted ere the fathers of the stunted people awoke?’ And standing tall and proud among them he bade them with shameful words be gone unrequited out of Doriath.

Then the lust of the Dwarves was kindled to rage by the words of the King; and they rose up about him, and laid hands on him, and slew him as he stood.
Here the Dwarves of Nogrod remain an “‘uncouth race … the stunted people’” And the index in the back translates Naugrim as “the stunted people”.

The primary references to Úvanimor are in Book of Lost Tales, Part One. There are page references to them in Shaping of Middle-earth and Book of Lost Tales, Part Two; but since I cannot readily locate my copy, I will have to leave it to another ’Mooter to reference them for you.

PS – I’ve never come across Úvanimor before, or at least, I don’t remember it. Thank you for pointing it out, Gil-Galad 2.0.

Last edited by Alcuin : 07-21-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
Gil-Galad 2.0
Hobbit

Thanks Alcuin I owe you one.
P.S. I thought it was awsome that you gave the page number.

Last edited by Gil-Galad 2.0 : 07-21-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Gil-Galad 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

For BOLT I, it's pages 75, 236-7. For BOLT II, it's pages 136, 247. Finally, fot SOME, it's page 293. Hope this helps.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There is a brief reference back to them by C Tolkien in HoME X linking them to the Umaiar (a group of evil spirits to which the balrog were assigned to) who followed Morgoth and were evil creatures/spirits.