Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
slurktan
Sapling

The Memory of Anarion

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have a fairly simple question:

Is there any mention anywhere in any of the books, of Anarion actually having a tomb, or his corpse in Rath Dinen, or even him having something like Elendil's Tomb?

The only mention I can think of that regards Anarion is that Isildur planted the White Tree in Minas Anor in memory of his brother.
slurktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I don't know of any actual mention - but by the description of his death in battle, I have always envisioned that there were others around him and that his body would have been recoverable.

So my best guess is that he was laid to rest in his royal mansion of Minas Anor (later Minas Tirith) - and that he is the first of the Kings of Gondor to be entombed in Rath Dinen.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Welcome to the Moot, Slurktan, and to the Books Forum .

You have a very interesting question. I tried to find some direct reference to the tomb of Anarion, but found none.

I think, Valandil is right.
Quote:
The crown of Gondor was derived from the form of a Númenorean war-helm. In the beginning it was indeed a plain helm; and it is said to have been the one that Isildur wore in the Battle of Dagorlad (for the helm of Anárion was crushed by the stone-cast from Barad-dûr that slew him). But in the days of Atanatar Alcarin this was replaced by the jewelled helm that was used in the crowning of Aragorn.'
Anarion died when a stone crushed his helm. But it seems that the body and the ruined helm were recovered. Most likely he rests in Rath Dinen.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
slurktan
Sapling

Thank you for your answers both, and the welcome Gordis.

Interesting though if that is the proper answer. Seeing as how the helm was crushed, that would mean the head therein would be as well, so essentially you'd have one headless body lying in Rath Dinen.
slurktan is offline   Reply With Quote