Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #41
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Allright, we've had our fun with Orlando Bloom. Don't let this thread become a vent, lest the eyes of the padlock-wielding mods behold it.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #42
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

but it's so easy, and feels so good...argh...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #43
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Yeah, there are some cheesy lines... the dwarf-tossing... Eomer acting manly... the drawn-out drama of whether Arwen is really going to sail West... Theoden's symbelmyne speech (when they left out so much that could have been better).
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #44
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

you know, i actually wrote a song about simbelmyne...simbelmyne, simbelmyne, my father's grave, now cover mine, growing tall on those who die, simbelmyne..that's just a bit...ah..hahaha.."you know you're obsessed when"...hehehe
----------------
Old 12-27-2005, 01:01 AM   #45
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
you know, i actually wrote a song about simbelmyne...simbelmyne, simbelmyne, my father's grave, now cover mine, growing tall on those who die, simbelmyne..that's just a bit...ah..hahaha.."you know you're obsessed when"...hehehe
lol!!

I now have that stuck in my head to the tune of schfifty five . It sounds really...odd..
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:05 AM   #46
clep_web
Hobbit

For me it was each of Gandalf's lines in the book that they gave to other characters, and the cheesy ones they gave him ("Authority is not given to you, Steward of Gondor, to deny the return of the king". What? In the book Denethor was never denying the return of any king. And the cheesy music they play when that line is said. ARGH!) I mean, the original lines in the book were absolutely fine.

I was toying with the idea of watching ROTK with a miniature signboard and shaking it in the air every time they did cheesy predictable lines which were not in the book. I would have had a sore arm if I actually did that.

Some time later and a few dead wolf packs...

"What did I tell you, Mr.Pippin?" said Sam, sheathing his sword. "Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no doubt. Nearly singed the hair off my head!"
clep_web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:22 AM   #47
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by clep_web
For me it was each of Gandalf's lines in the book that they gave to other characters, and the cheesy ones they gave him ("Authority is not given to you, Steward of Gondor, to deny the return of the king". What? In the book Denethor was never denying the return of any king. And the cheesy music they play when that line is said. ARGH!) I mean, the original lines in the book were absolutely fine.

Ah yes, but PJ&Co seem to have an insatiable need to remind us all what movie we're watching. That line (and the music!) bugged me too, but not as much as how in FotR Frodo felt obliged to actually take out the Ring and hold it up on display every 5 minutes, as if the audience and the other characters would forget what it was without the visual stimulus

All things aside though, I really like the movies . In fact, I like them a lot more now that I'm used to all the things that annoyed me at first.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #48
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

I think "a way of PAIN!!!" is thought to be the worst quote among most.
... I don't know what my least favorite quote is, but I'll get back to this later...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #49
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

well...yes. christopher lee had a bad line...
----------------
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #50
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

No, me9996 has an excellent point there - EVERY time I hear that "you have chosen the way of - PAIN!" line I swear to god I bust up laughing. I can't help it. That has got to be one of THE worst lines of the movies; I mean there's plenty others but that one ALways cracks me up! The worse the line, the harder I laugh.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 AM   #51
clep_web
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -elfearz-

Ah yes, but PJ&Co seem to have an insatiable need to remind us all what movie we're watching. That line (and the music!) bugged me too, but not as much as how in FotR Frodo felt obliged to actually take out the Ring and hold it up on display every 5 minutes, as if the audience and the other characters would forget what it was without the visual stimulus

All things aside though, I really like the movies . In fact, I like them a lot more now that I'm used to all the things that annoyed me at first.
Yeah, they're not too bad considering how much worse they could get, you know. I just wish since they actually made the movies they could have made them properly and get some stuff right, but that's just the nitpicker in me.

"What did I tell you, Mr.Pippin?" said Sam, sheathing his sword. "Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no doubt. Nearly singed the hair off my head!"
Old 12-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #52
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
No, me9996 has an excellent point there - EVERY time I hear that "you have chosen the way of - PAIN!" line I swear to god I bust up laughing. I can't help it. That has got to be one of THE worst lines of the movies; I mean there's plenty others but that one ALways cracks me up! The worse the line, the harder I laugh.

Me too, Lotesse. I think it's the way he delivers the line too. It's so..dragged out - like: I gave you...the chance...of aiding me...willingly...but..you...have elected...the way..of - PAIN!!! It's just funny

Christopher Lee is a wonderful actor though, no doubt about it!

Quote:
Yeah, they're not too bad considering how much worse they could get, you know. I just wish since they actually made the movies they could have made them properly and get some stuff right, but that's just the nitpicker in me.
Yeah, I know. It's particularly annoying when it's just little details that are soooo easy to get right, but they go and change stuff for the sake of it, actually to the detriment of the movie . I'm fine with them cutting stuff out, like Bombadil and even the Scouring, and okay with them changing stuff where it works for the film
Old 12-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #53
clep_web
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -elfearz-
Yeah, I know. It's particularly annoying when it's just little details that are soooo easy to get right, but they go and change stuff for the sake of it, actually to the detriment of the movie . I'm fine with them cutting stuff out, like Bombadil and even the Scouring, and okay with them changing stuff where it works for the film
There were some BIG details that they left out, and affected the movie as a whole especially in the third one. But the Bombadil edit was perfectly fine. That's one part I think Tolkien could have left out in the book.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #54
Sparra
Sapling

For some reason, it bugs me everytime I hear Aragorn say, "What say you?"

Last edited by Sparra : 01-20-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Sparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #55
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Aye!!! Agreed.

Quote:

I was toying with the idea of watching ROTK with a miniature signboard and shaking it in the air every time they did cheesy predictable lines which were not in the book. I would have had a sore arm if I actually did that.
Totally hear ya about the 'deny the return of the king' line. I was like, "Sure Gandy, and since when do you suddenly call all the shots?" Arg.

I think it was Beard of Pants that wrote a little fan-fic on Legolas turning into a super-hero by night: Captain Obvious!! Now, whenever I hear a cheesy line (in LotR or anything else) I say, "Captain Obvious strikes again!" I've got my whole family doing it. It's fun!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:24 AM   #56
Stephen
Hobbit

uh, mostly the gimly cracks come to mind...
My least fav is probably right before they march on the black gate gimli ' bla bla small chance of success, what are we waiting for?'...