Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Any recommendations for Medieval Fantasy books?

I'm looking for some good reads into the Medieval Fantasy genre, I'm just not sure what books to look for...

I'm looking for books with less magic than in the High Fantasy, but where magic may still be present in a lesser degree.

Something like the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Have you read the Shannara books by Terry Brooks? They do have some fairly blatant magic, but it is usually limited to only a few individuals.

One book I strongly recommend is "The Wizard of Earthsea." It's part of a trilogy. Number 1 is my favorite. It has a truly epic duel and hunt at the end.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I'd recommend my books, but I haven't got them published yet!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I'm not sure if you can have medieval fantasy without magic.

I really like medieval fantasy that's based on mythology or folklore. In this category I would certainly recommend Lloyd Alexander (lots of mythology from different countries) and C. S. Lewis (Narnia, Till we have Faces). Enchantment by Orson Scott Card and the Firebird by Mercedes Lackey are both based on Russian folklore. Several of Robin McKinley's books fit in there too, and they are all great fantasy.

Of course there's lots of other great medieval fantasy. These are some of my favorites, from least to most magic (approximately):

the Princess Bride by William Goldman
the Once and Future King by T.H. White
T.A. Barron's Merlin Series
Diana Wynne Jones
Patricia C. Wrede
David Eddings
Raymond E. Feist

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead

(Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail)

One of the best Arthurian series I've seen.

Also, the Crystal Cave trilogy by Mary Stewart is another.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Jabberwock
Enting

Medieval Fantasy, low magic

I'd say that if you want medieval style fantasy with low, but integral magic, you could probably do pretty well to read some of these:

Guy Gavriel Kay (styled on medieval spain, italy, england, france). I like Song for Arbonne, Tigana, Lions of Al-Rassan, and Sailing to Sarantium. Great stories. Artists tend to be his central characters.

George Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series seems to be one of the popular series lately and book four is out in a few days. This one's got a complex and intriguing plot and it is character driven. Great characters, easy to love and love to hate. Good books all around. Gritty realism with a satisfying touch of magic and mystery. At times it can be crude though for those who don't like the use of strong language or sexual imagery.

Someone mentioned White's Once and Future King. This one's a classic, but its also a bit of a dark comedy, and well... not a great example of 'medieval' fantasy so much as it is a great piece of literature.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I think you should definitely read AA Attanasio's four book King Arthur-series:
The Dragon and the Unicorn, The Eagle and the Sword, The Wolf and the Crown and The Serpent and the Grail. Excellent books, excellent prose.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead

(Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail)

One of the best Arthurian series I've seen.

Also, the Crystal Cave trilogy by Mary Stewart is another.
I absolutely love The Pendragon Cycle so very, very much. Lawhead is a master of humour and history. (There's a scene in "Arthur" where Kay tells this side-splittingly hilarious story. I laugh just thinking about it.)

Another fabulous series by Stephen Lawhead is The Song of Albion trilogy. This one is all about Celtic mythology, and it is completely fabulous in every way. This series is one of my all-time favourites.

Technically it doesn't quite fit in with your request since it's sort of pre-midieval, but Celtic mythology was certainly alive and well in midieval times.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote