Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel I'm new

Hello fellow Tolkien fans! I am new to this site so if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. These may seem like stupid questions to you but I've never been in an RPG before. First of all, what exactly is a role playing game? How does it work? Do you totally make up the characters & plot yourself or is it based on something Tolkien's written? Basically, I just want to know some general info on RPGs. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

P.S. I'm doing a research paper at school on the life of J.R.R. Tolkien - if anyone has some really good info on him please let me know - Thanx again!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 07:37 PM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ok this is not me. it is from another thred, and was writen by another RPG'er

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The name stands for Role Playing Game. It is an interactive story involving several players. One person enters a post, such as:

Emwid cursed as he looked at the prisoners. Where was his sister? The cursed brat had escaped from among the others. But how? The secret pannels had been lost for centuries, he couldn't understand how she . . . Realization flared through his head.

"Captain Melwitz! Where is the Tobaoth Stone!? Bring it to me at once!"

"My lord," he said, a frown creasing his brow. "It has been missing since last night. At first we thought it was a natural accident, but . . ."

Emwid seized him by the throat and threw him back against the wall. "Do you realize what you've done! What you've allowed to do? She has escaped! My sister, the heir to the kingdom has escaped using that stone! If you'd told me before it could have been prevented! Can you possibly concieve of what you have caused . . . ?"

Anyway, there's the general idea of one post. You can be in charge of a particular character and other people are in charge of their own characters as well. One person sends a post, like the above and then another person sends another post, involving their character(s). Sometimes you involve yourselves in complex conversations with other players, and other times you actually make the conversation entirely yourself. It most of the way depends upon the importance of the conversation.

I'm probably getting more detailed than I have to. All you have to do is take a look at any one of the RPGs in this forum which are already made, and you'll get the general idea.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 11:29 PM   #3
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel Thank You!

Thank you very much, Tesseract! That helped alot. Also, I like your location thingy - that's cute! LOL Thanx again1

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 12-09-2001, 11:47 PM   #4
Shenna McBain
Hobbit

:)

Hey Galadriel!! I am getting ready to start a new rpg, you can join into it if you like. Sometimes it's easier to get going when you get into one when it's just started. Then you don't have to worry about messing up a plot already in progress.
Shenna McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:01 AM   #5
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel Sounds great!

Shenna,
Sounds good! I would like to join. Bear with me if I'm not the most wonderful writer, this is my first RPG & I usually don't write fantasies when I write stories, but I will try! I always say that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing well, so I will see just how creative I can get with this. Thanks for offering!

Old 12-10-2001, 12:08 AM   #6
Shenna McBain
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel :)

Well this rp has only just started so we can take it in whatever direction we want to... I've only laid the foundation, and you can take on the role of Tasha's mother, Lord Stravis or even create a character to enter into the story line. Just have fun and let your imagination take hold.
Shenna McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:04 PM   #7
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel ;p

K, thanx! I will read your thread now.

Old 12-14-2001, 08:28 PM   #8
tbrad28
Hobbit

Gandalf

Shenna McBain

what is the name of the rpg you think about starting????
tbrad28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Gandalf The Grey
Hobbit

welcome new ent

welcome!!
Gandalf The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:08 AM   #10
Laiqualassë
Sapling

i'm not new to Roleplays, but i am new to this board.it looks very interesting, but there are so many threads that are well under way that i don't dare entering them unless i'm invited...stuffing up the storyline and so on.if i do enter a thread, i usually read up everything before it...which is a bit hard when it's several threads long, you'll agree....