Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I'd say, that nine Nazgul would be darm much harder to kill than 900 goblins, plus their special powers and aura of fear.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightice View Post
I'd say, that nine Nazgul would be darm much harder to kill than 900 goblins, plus their special powers and aura of fear.
The point is not whether you can kill them, but whether you can get out of the situation alive. Where do you think you have better chances - in the middle of a 900-headed Orc thrall, or in front of nine fire-, water- and Elf-fearing Nazgûl?

(And as a side note, truly has the Númenorian blood grown thin if the Men of Minas Anor fear those wretched shadows.)
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Tinman
Enting

I first off am one to believe that gandalf was powerful, but not super man. He was just as easily killed by a stray arrow as any random soldier.

That being said, I think Gandalf maybe could have escaped the burning tree's that night, but I dont think that was his goal. Gandalf had a mission that was bigger than himself, and his job was to get those dwarves across middle earth, and to set them up with the means to defeat a potentially undefeatable ally to sauron. Sure, maybe gandalf could make it out alive, but what about the dwarves? What about the poor bumbling burglar he hired? If they failed their missing, the siege of dol goldur would have been impossible, as no doubt, smaug would have recruited to Sauron's agenda.

Gandalf was planning to go off like a bomb, take out as many of the goblins and wargs in the area that he could, so that the dwarves mission might be a success. Their fate determined the fate of the White Council's next move.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I first off am one to believe that gandalf was powerful, but not super man. He was just as easily killed by a stray arrow as any random soldier.

That being said, I think Gandalf maybe could have escaped the burning tree's that night, but I dont think that was his goal. Gandalf had a mission that was bigger than himself, and his job was to get those dwarves across middle earth, and to set them up with the means to defeat a potentially undefeatable ally to sauron. Sure, maybe gandalf could make it out alive, but what about the dwarves? What about the poor bumbling burglar he hired? If they failed their missing, the siege of dol goldur would have been impossible, as no doubt, smaug would have recruited to Sauron's agenda.

Gandalf was planning to go off like a bomb, take out as many of the goblins and wargs in the area that he could, so that the dwarves mission might be a success. Their fate determined the fate of the White Council's next move.

I agree with Tinman. As a Maia, Gandalf's spirit may have been immortal but his body was not. They were facing unbeatable odds, and to stay in the trees would have meant certain death for all. His plan was a desperate attempt to use his subtle arts to save the Dwarves and Bilbo. To do that he would have needed to occupy all the Goblins and Wargs and until he was sure his charges were out of harm's way. A fighting retreat would have been out of the question.

Fear Complacency!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Tinman
Enting

A great quote from the appendices, when gandalf is speaking of the importance of the quest for erebor:

"Yet things might have gone far otherwise and far worse. When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valour of Durin's Folk. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador, night in Rivendell. There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now hope to return from the victory here only to ruin and ash. But that has been averted – because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring in Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth."

It really puts into perspective how important the dwarves mission was, and I think Gandalf truely believed at that second their fate was tied to the fate of middle earth.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote