Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Photography

Not sure how active this thread will be - so I'm just going to make it a general photography thread. You can talk about anything regarding photography.

However what I am particularly interested in is nighttime photography. I finally decided last week to take my camera off automatic and take some nighttime shots with my tripod. I'll see how well they turn out. I fooled with the shutter speed and apperature and all that. So I have no idea how these will come out. I hope at least a couple make interesting pictures. Does anyone have any ideas on taking nighttime shots with a tripod?

For an idea of some of my pics I've taken you can go to my AboutNewJersey.com e-cards.

Anyway - just wanted to throw that out and see if anyone knows.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

JD,

I've had my own darkroom since the early *cough cough* 80's. I'm using a DC now, have not missed all the chemicals at all. Photoshop is my friend

Some of my favorite shots are of moonlit foggy nights, shooting down forrest lanes, near interesting old houses. The blurred street lights (moving cars) is always fun, but it's more interesting to have someone stand motionless among the moving for a cool shot.

The hand-held flash is the best tool for lighting up something specific (face, someone jumping, up under a tree, ect.) during a long dark shot, the flashed subject will be illuminated and look dramatic.

Have fun!

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Photography! Wheee!

*ahem*

I don't have extensive or expensive equipment but I love making photographs. I have a small camera and a new digital one that I got for new year. The digital one has a marco function which means I can photograph small things like my painted stones or... frogs! I use the other camera for all the rest.

I like taking pictures of forrest lanes too. I also have this strange tendency to photograph rough, pittoresque stone walls. And cats, of course.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Don't know much about nighttime pics, but I really loved my photography classes. Such fun to work in the darkroom and crop pictures, print them and develop them! I always liked pictures of interesting tree branches and leaves.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
inked
Elf Lord

JD,

For some tips on astronomical photography, check out astronomy.com or
skyandtelescope.com.

Using a tripod and various timed shots you can get constellations, star trails, and occasionally a meteor trail.

Have fun.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
JD,

For some tips on astronomical photography, check out astronomy.com or
skyandtelescope.com.

Using a tripod and various timed shots you can get constellations, star trails, and occasionally a meteor trail.

Have fun.
It's odd that you should mention that because I'm looking into buying a telescope and am thinking about the future possibility of astrophotography.

Psalm 107:31
Old 03-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Be glad I procrastinate, JD .

I am an okay Photographer (I guess: Not a single one of the pictures I took with my SLR were ever developed.), and would like to try something with nighttime photography. Specifically:
Set up my SLR on a tripod with a non moving foreground (a mountain, perhaps), set shutter speed to bulb, and hold the shutter open for a few hours or so (hopefully I can get one of those locking mechanisms beforehand). Don't ruin the surprise for me if you try first. Edit: Even though I know what happens.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I love photography! Great thread JD.

I think I'm pretty good at laying out a nice picture. No feet or heads missing from (full body) people pictures and the like. I can also take a decent picture by pointing the camera backwards at myself and other subjects (if present).

My favourite subjects are nature scenery (trees, mountains etc.), food, and buildings. Some of my photos are posted at my DeviantArt account.

I took quite a few neat pictures on the Luleå trip. I should go post some more. I have many photos not yet posted, but they'll come eventually.

EDIT: Oh yes, I have a digital camera. I have a great deal of respect for people with SLR and other manual cameras. It seems more artistic. However, since I travel a lot and take craploads of pictures, my digital camera is much more pratical for me.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-01-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Millane
The Dude

my favourite photograph ive ever seen was done with a pinhole camera in the bush on a bridge over a small creek. Sounds pretty simplistic but it was brilliant. A family friend is a photographer who lectures out at Latrobe uni and i really enjoy going to her exhibitions.
this is the only photograph i can find of hers which was for a national competition last year, i cant find the other 5 finalists photos, but there were a few gems in their too...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #10
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I really love taking pictures. I've got my dig cam now which I'm constantly using, mostly to photograph birds and the ocean, or my boyfriend. I've been low on subject matter all summer long. Just the birds and my boyfriend, or the boats - I love to photograph stuff when I'm out on the water surrounded by glimmering colour and movement, or in the marina with all the boats.

Can anyone recommend to me the best equipment to buy for manual photography? I have a Canon G6 right now for digital work, and I really love it, but I want to learn more about "real" photo equipment. I'd like to start doing more portraiture - people AND animal portraiture. anyway...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #11
trolls' bane

Well, if I had the money, I would go for one of those advanced digital SLRs. But, for now you have to be a millionare, with that one zoom lens I saw being around $900.

Any kind of camera is good for that, as far as I know, but SLRs are good for certain special effects. Some, you can do long-shutter exposures (with which I want to do star trails.)

Last edited by trolls' bane : 09-22-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

$900 is about right, I think for those killer zoom lens. They are REALLY worth the money, though. You are talking about for a Digital, right? Because the zoom lenses for Dig Cams are a totally different story than the conventional camera zoom lenses. However, for taking pics of animals in their natural habitat, especially quick and shy animals like birds, zoom lenses are indispensable. I really need to get one. A way to get them for less $ is to shop at pawn shops, or go on craigslist and see who's selling their lens on the private market.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #13
trolls' bane

I need to get a lens at some point for my Pentax. But, since most of my family members are pessimists (including myself), they don't make the right lenses anymore.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I wish I'd registered for my fall classes at ucla; I really wanted to take some photography courses to learn all the aperture/speed/light mumbo jumbo. How can I ever expect to be a great photographer if I don't know all this stuff? There's info online, and everything, but its just not the same as being in an actual class.
Here, look at these two matching boys! This is a nice portrait:

Old 09-22-2005, 10:32 PM   #15
trolls' bane

Nawww...None can beat my Superimposition of Doom (Okay, it's a picture of me sitting right next to myself, wearing the same clothes. And I do NOT have any siblings, much less a twin brother.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #16
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I liked that weird photo you did! Was that with Adobe Photoshop?

Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
trolls' bane

Nope, Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9 Series.
Well, actually I was talking about another picture that was too big to post.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #18
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

*bump* Here! Here it is, the photography thread.

Here's a picture of some birds and a big bee: Lemme tell you 'bout the birds and the bees...

Old 03-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

How did you ever get that bee to pose for you?
I personally enjoy taking pictures of still life like close-ups of flowers. Then again, I like taking pictures of animals, too.

I have a Panasonic Lumix digital camera, by the way.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer

Last edited by Meriadoc Brandybuck : 03-19-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #20
trolls' bane

Panasonic Lumix? Cool! I'll have to look it up though. Is it a single-lens reflex or just a point-and-shoot?
I do those too. I take lot's and lot's of closeups. I can't wait to get my butterfly portrait blown up to fill up all this empty space on my wall. That will be so cool. Took it today. It was a painted lady butterfly, which I mistook for a monarch and which I will have to change. I often take pictures of plants, etc. up close. I have three lens-extension tubes for macro shots, and boy, do they work! It's like a microscope almost. I love 'em! I have almost too many butterflies. I have like three rolls worth.
Closed Thread