Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2001, 02:00 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Abridgements for young readers

What do you think of them?

I personally abhor them. Yuck. Sure, you can make claims that they get kids reading, or introduce them to certain stories - but I find that it just leads them into developing an acquired taste for character-less, poorly woven "popular fiction" in the style of a "narrated plot".

There is a hell of a lot more to a great novel than the basic outline of the plot. Which is what a great deal of abridgements are.

Look, if the kids can't handle Oliver Twist or Robinson Crusoe or Around The World in Eighty Days - or Lord of the Rings for that matter, which thankfully I believe has escaped from the butchery unscathed so far, and I hope remains so even with the forthcoming merchandise craze - there's really no point in trying to stuff the Cliff Notes down their throats. It won't make the kids better readers.

Give them something accessible. Easy reads, classic reads, in original prose that is accessible. Carroll, Rowling, Baum, Lewis, et cetera. But please, not abridgements.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 09:25 AM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

These things make me sick. There was a teacher at my old school who used to give them to all the kids to read, it's just awefull. They butcher the stories, turning them into nothing but plot progression. Then a great book is ruined for the kid who reads them. IMO they're just as bad as Classic Comics
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 09:32 AM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

As a rule I don't think children should read abridged or adapted versions. I like the idea of giving them accessible originals.

On the other hand, I was introduced to Mr. Shakespeare through Lamb's stories and went on to enjoy the real thing. I don't think I would have liked Shakespeare if my first introduction had been in English classes.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 01:59 PM   #4
FaithFairy
Sapling

I recently found out myself that these abridgements are not shortened stories -- they are shells of a story. I discovered this in the case of The Three Musketeers. I'm surprised my son enjoyed it at all... BTW, the original which I read afterwards myself was a great book.
FaithFairy is offline   Reply With Quote