Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2001, 10:54 PM   #21
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You can do color & underline tags, but couldn't figure out the italics, Shannon?

My answer to your original question would be that the Silmarilli were hallowed. They had sort of the opposite effect as that of the One Ring, save that they did not induce anyone to be good (which would be the opposite of what the Ring did). They were pure as themselves and did not give out any 'temptation', save that of men and women who look upon a fair thing and desire it. They must have been amazingly beautiful. These were the last things on Earth that held the unsullied Light of the Two Trees. Even the Sun could not claim as much, could it speak for itself.

I think it had power, but of a kind strange to that of the Ring. It had power in itself: it was filled with power. Not the evil power derived ultimately from the diabolical Moriñgotho ('Morgoth'), but the noble power of the Powers derived ultimately from the One.

I believe according to one version (that I think appears in the Silmarillion as published), the Silmaril Beren retrieved from Morgoth's crown was actually used for healing by Elwing at the Havens of Sirion. It was also filled with a Light too strong for mortals, like that of the Blessed Realm itself: it gave one of pure heart great beauty, but it shortened his/her life.