Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

UK Politics

I have created this thread for people to comment on the current gov't in UK, and who they might like to see voted in after Blair is gone.

My view is that the Liberal Democrats should be elected. One of their promises is that University would become much freer that it is now, and we have already seen them deliver on this in Scotland, so why not give them a chance 'down south'?
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

In theory, I'd agree, though in practice I'm not sure they actually have a coherent and credible set of policies. Although they were the only party that opposed the Iraq war, I thought they did a pretty pants job of putting across the anti-war argument.

We have a lib-dem council, and they always seem to adopt the populist stance. Like when they rallied behind some NIMBYs objecting to a new bus route for the local hospital because it would mean their house prices would go down.

Lib-dem councillor: Would you like to sign the petition to object to this dreadful new bus route?
The Gaffer: So, you think we shouldn't have better public transport, then?
Ldc: er... no, of course we should have better public transport, er, it should just go somewhere else
The Gaffer: Right, so the people who work for the NHS and therefore can't afford to buy a house within 20 miles of the hospital should just get a job somewhere else, then? Or should they buy another car and add to the congestion instead?
Ldc: er, * starts sweating *, erm don't you think that Charles Kennedy is a nice young man?

Actually, Charles Kennedy seems like a good bloke, though the British people will never elect a redhead.

Having said that, I might end up voting for them just because Bliar is such an arse, and the Tories are even worse. God, it's so depressing.

Gordon Brown for PM!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I would like to see Gordon Brown as PM.

Janny?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
Janny
The Blobbit

*sniggers* Is that one of those controversial statments to cause an argument?

(But yes... maaaaybe me too)

Sorry, I forgot: Why?!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
*sniggers* Is that one of those controversial statments to cause an argument?
No, I'm just bored. And in a politics mood.

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot: Why?!
Well, we don't know much about him, but AFAIK he's:
a) not obsessed with spin
b) anti-Euro
c) not Thatcherite
d) responsible for the govt's best policies to date

Therefore he is better than Blair or Howard.

EDIT: or Charles Kennedy. Funny how I always forget about him.

Last edited by sun-star : 11-02-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'm for Charle's Kennedy as PM.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Well, we don't know much about him, but AFAIK he's:
Ah! The Democrat model of candidate selection!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Well, well, well...

North-East Rejects Devolution

I didn't see that coming!

Last edited by sun-star : 11-05-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Draken
Elf Lord

I did. The No Campaign took only one line - don't create yet more politicians, especially when they don't have real powers. The best the Yes Campaign could come up with was to get Brendan Foster to write us all a letter.

Personally, I think regionalisation is the only way forward for both the North and the West of England. Investment decreases with distance from London - and I'm talking per capita, not just total - even for public money like lottery grants. Without a proper regional government, that isn't going to change. The problem is, proper regional government wasn't offered.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Tony Blair lost my vote as soon as he embarked on an ill-fated decision to join America in the war in Iraq whole-heartedly regardless of opposition and dissension, not to mention going to war on a blatant false premise.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
Tony Blair lost my vote as soon as he embarked on an ill-fated decision to join America in the war in Iraq whole-heartedly regardless of opposition and dissension, not to mention going to war on a blatant false premise.
A leader leads and must look at what the resulting future can be - people generally only look at the here and now. Also - it was not a "blatant false premise" - everyone from the French, to the UN to the all the other intelligence agencies in the world felt that Iraq had WMD - even so - that wasn't the only reason for going in there. Also - concerning WMD - it has now been learned that Iraq had a turn key WMD system set up - he was just waiting for the french to get the sanctions lifted and he would have been in full scale production within months. Hardly someone who was not a danger. We attacked Meloshivic for far less than Hussein.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

As all right thinking people know, that's a load of dingo's kidneys, but let's not go THERE again.

I'm with you, Draken, for the same reasons. Pity, because Labour are taking the health service and education (fees excepted) in the right direction, after 20 years of being run down. They've actually been a pretty radical government in many ways (minimum wage, devolution, freedom of information act, etc), though admittedly many of them have been totally botched (House of Lords reform).

The most positive thing is that after 20 years of politicians being terrified of saying the word "tax" without the word "cut" immediately afterwards, there is now a consensus here that if you want decent public services then you have to pay for them somehow.

Most of that is down to the achievement of Bliar's ministers, especially Brown, and not Bambi himself though. I wish they'd ditch him and install The Broon.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #13
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
A leader leads and must look at what the resulting future can be - people generally only look at the here and now.
Like good ole dubua, perhaps...

Quote:
concerning WMD - it has now been learned that Iraq had a turn key WMD system set up - he was just waiting for the french to get the sanctions lifted and he would have been in full scale production within months. Hardly someone who was not a danger. We attacked Meloshivic for far less than Hussein.
Oh, hang on, .....yawnnnnnn. so Iraq had a 'key' that unlocked a 'key' that unlocked a 'key' and so on.

JUST ADMIT IT. THERE AINT NO WMD LEFT IN IRAQ. Cowards...

Gee you yanks nailed down that whole "wmd" thing. Oh gee (sarcasm monitor exploding), well (snigger) done (chortle) on that.

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 11-05-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Fenir_LacDanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #14
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
A leader leads and must look at what the resulting future can be - people generally only look at the here and now. Also - it was not a "blatant false premise" - everyone from the French, to the UN to the all the other intelligence agencies in the world felt that Iraq had WMD - even so - that wasn't the only reason for going in there. Also - concerning WMD - it has now been learned that Iraq had a turn key WMD system set up - he was just waiting for the french to get the sanctions lifted and he would have been in full scale production within months. Hardly someone who was not a danger. We attacked Meloshivic for far less than Hussein.
A leader leads, but the leader should also listen to the followers opinion. The majority of Britain was against the War in Iraq.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 11-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #15
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
A leader leads, but the leader should also listen to the followers opinion. The majority of Britain was against the War in Iraq.
The folloers don't always have the long term insight of what is going on - nor do they have all the information to make an informed decision. How many top secret meetings have you been involved with? We elect leaders for a reason - to make informed decisions and make decisions based on a long term outlook and goal. If the constituants were listened to for everything - the government would never get anything done because it would be going from one extreme to another. it would be like trying to drive to california while slamming the brakes every mile.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 02:02 PM   #16
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
The folloers don't always have the long term insight of what is going on - nor do they have all the information to make an informed decision.

And who are you to decide, misceleanous poster....

Perhaps the people did and do have their long term intrest's in view...

Who are you to say...?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
Telcontar_Dunedain

I have been to no top secret meetings (I'm guessing that that as a rhetorcal question!) yet shouldn't the leader at least listen to the followers and give them a good reason. When no weapons were found in Iraq he never said "Sorry, I was wrong" he said that there were no nuclear, biological or chemical weapons found in Iraq, but they were still right to go.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I have been to no top secret meetings (I'm guessing that that as a rhetorcal question!) yet shouldn't the leader at least listen to the followers and give them a good reason. When no weapons were found in Iraq he never said "Sorry, I was wrong" he said that there were no nuclear, biological or chemical weapons found in Iraq, but they were still right to go.
Based on numerous commission reports - it was still the right thing to do. Was he wrong - or was the intelligence initially wrong though? As I have said numerous times - Hussein didn't have Dr Germ in the top of his government for eye candy you know.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #19
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Based on numerous commission reports - it was still the right thing to do. Was he wrong - or was the intelligence initially wrong though? As I have said numerous times - Hussein didn't have Dr Germ in the top of his government for eye candy you know.
Was Bush wrong??

Was it wrong intel?????

Was Bush wrong???

One perhap should ask these questions closer to jersey. Perhaps.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:28 PM   #20
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

This is getting off topic.

Should we split off the parts about Bush? Or do you guys want to just leave them in but get back to UK Politics?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote