Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2003, 12:36 AM   #121
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

someone mentioned other phillip pullman books on the fifth page of this thread. one trilogy (already mentioned) is The Sally Lockhart Trilogy. it's set in victorian England and is pretty much a mystery/crime/adventure deal. they are however really good books and i don't normally go for anything mystery/crime/adventure. if you're interested they are: The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, and The Tiger in the Well. Another book that has characters from that trilogy is The Tin Princess. they are all very good. another book that i havent read and have no idea what it is about is The White Mercedes...

by the way i read His Dark Materials trilogy and loved it... thought that was about... 3 1/2 years ago and i don't remember the finer points...
Old 12-02-2003, 06:41 PM   #122
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

they were some of my favorite books and I think i will read them again soon thankyou for reminding me

"I don't know why it does this! maybe i'm allergic to bras?"-Dee
turtlelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #123
Bilbo
Enting

I have only just re-joined the Entmoot clony after a few years traversing Rivendel (including getting lost several times) IN answer to the original post, I have in fact read all three of the novels. They are quite probably one of the greatest literistic books ever conceptulated by a sophisticated and highly intellectual author ("close dictionary").
Also in answer to the original post, the Northern Lights may have been called the Golden Compass because the Alethiometer is, as the cover suggests, like a golden compass, and often helps Lyra on her travels.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #124
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I've already expressed my liking/love for HDM in another thread, just wanted to make it "official".
Old 01-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #125
webwizard333
Elf Lord

In case anyone's intrerested, a movie trilogy is currently beign worked on for this fantasy series. Though I'm a bit worried they might try to push the anti-religious/church themes into the background out of fear of offending people, I'll still see it.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #126
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

And Tom Stoppard is writing the screenplay.
That's all I've heard, though...does anyone know anything more about it? I'm dying for news...

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:06 AM   #127
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
me too. it would be very cool. havent they made a theatrical productin in the uk or sumthing. i havent looked much into it but im sure i heard sumthing a while ago.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #128
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Yeah...I think it was a stage production, Royal Theater whatsit or sommat. I don't remember exactly. I wanted to go see it but the run doesn't continue anymore (I'll be going to England this summer). So...pooh.

No news on the movie anywhere, either.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #129
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I've just discovered this great trilogy (I'm a bit slow to pick up on these things). I'd be disappointed too if they played down the anti-religion elements.

There's a discussion board about it here.. I like the idea of Johnny Depp as Lee Scorsby. but who is going to play Hester??

Last edited by The Gaffer : 05-20-2004 at 11:13 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote