Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #381
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Elise frowned at the sky and muttered under her breath. Not simply muttering though, she was casting a spell of protection.

The Hytorax was evil, great evil. It would corrupt any who held it for too long and already Aasinav had held it for more than long enough. He was strong, but there was no limit to the Hytorax's strength.

Perhaps it was affecting him, perhaps not. But if it wasn't yet then it would begin to soon enough. The silly young fool seemed quite puffed-up about his 'knowledge' at times, but maybe that would aid him a little.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 02:21 AM   #382
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

They didn't feel very comfortable with just sleeping out there in the street, but the inns were closed at this hour, and there was no choice. So finding the most secluded spot they could, they rested, those of them that could sleeping.

They woke early that morning, before most of the citizenry, and after taking some breakfast from their packs, Hruad began leading them to the dwellings of the government representatives.

"I would be recognized," Hruad said, "so I cannot go. Gil? Could you speak to the guard and tell him we wish to speak with Dolais?"
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 06:44 AM   #383
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

I nodded at Hruad and trotted over to the tall standing guard.
"Excuse me?" I said a little louder then my usualle voice.
THe guard turned his face to me and grinned.
"Yes, child?" me said.
"Er...do you know a man by the name of Dolais?"
Yes. why do you ask?"
"I wish to speak to him." I finished.
"About...?"
"That is of his busness sir." I said giving him a stern but decided look.
"He nodded then tuened to go fetch Dolais. I turned to look over at Huad to get a signal on were to go after I met with Dolais and was told....
Old 03-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #384
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

An hour later, Dolais arrived. "I wasn't awake when you came," he said, beckoning to Gil. "Won't you come in?"

"No, I have some friends who want to talk to you also."

He frowned slightly, looking unsure.

"I promise you that it's completely safe."

"Then let them come out and show themselves."

Gil looked unsure of herself. "They . . . well . . ." Then she leaned closer to him and whispered fiercely, "Brilindil and Hruad wish to see you."

Dolais looked startled, and he glanced quickly over Gil's head, as if expecting to see them lurking among the other civilians.

"I can take you to them."

He looked behind him quickly and then followed her, the guard approaching and taking his place at the gate as they left.

When he reached them, they didn't get into describing him all that they'd encountered and gone through, but Aasinav produced the Hytorax and extended it toward Dolais.

Dolais stared at it for a moment, and then tentatively took it. He turned to Hruad then, ignoring the others. "What do you want of me?"

"We want to get into the citadel."

Dolais flinched. "Toward the king's apartments?"

"He'll be in the Great Hall or his antechamber at this time of day. He doesn't have any meetings today, does he?"

"Of course he does," Dolais snapped, still looking uncomfortable. "Most of them are . . ."

He trailed off, so Brilindil walked closer up to him. "Are you scared?"

Dolais looked at him.

"You'll be more scared if you don't let us through. Your king will transform this place into a realm of shadow, fear and slavery if we don't save him. Then your position will be worthless. Now you have a time to aid us. If you do, perhaps the next time that you grant us assistance, you won't be doing so with a sword."

There was a long pause, and finally Dolais nodded. "Very well. His primary meetings are in the afternoon; this morning he's reading a report on his subject and spending some time alone in his antechamber."

"Good," Hruad said with a nod. "Then we have some chance of getting to him and solving this without a fight."

Dolais was plainly steeling himself, gathering up his courage. He looked slightly pale, but he nodded to them. "I'll help you inside the citadel."
Old 03-27-2003, 11:49 AM   #385
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

"You will become a hero of the people when all this is over, your help shan't be forgotten..." Glimdrell smiled warlmy at Dolais.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #386
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

While Hruad made the plans with Dolais, Aasinav drifted closer to Elise.

"Keep your eyes open," he said, glancing around. "I have felt another's gaze upon us for a time now. It may not be a foe, but it is still best to be alert... and if it is the sorcerer, the others may not be able to deal with it."
Old 03-27-2003, 10:01 PM   #387
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Elise kept her eyes on the others but gave the barest nod and quietly murmured, "That is less than likely to mean anything good whether it's friend or foe. I would suggest sending some one back to check except that if it's the sorcerer no one but you and I together could hold him back, and I dare not leave the others for fear he will strike them... Yes I think perhaps all we can do is keep our eyes open and stay close together."

Aasinav nodded in agreement, rubbing his hands together thoughtfully and muttering to himself.

"I also fear that the sorcerer will know of your and my powers and so attempt to separate us. I believe I could defeat him... But I have ancient promises to keep... I cannot use my full power against him." Elise tisked in vexation and shifted her feet to a more comfortable stance, lightly touching the necklace inside her robes. It was a problem, but she had managed for quite some time and certainly wasn't likely to brake that promise now.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:15 AM   #388
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

I'd been sitting on the ground and nobody had really noticed me. I heard Elise and Aasinav talking and leaned in to listen more closely. When they had finished i spoke up but only in a whisper. "I'll go, he doesn't know who i am or that i have any powers at all....plus he probably won't even notice that i'm gone i've stayed pretty low and in the shadows. And we already know i'm fairly good at creeping," I gestured a little trying to help as much as i could.

ooc: I can erase this if this interfeers with some kind of plan that i don't know about.
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:00 AM   #389
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"I don't think that that will be necessary," Hruad said to Glistenfae. "But we thank you for your bravery. We can reach the king as a group, but if scouting is necessary, we might call upon your talents."

"Follow me," Dolais told them.

He led them around the back wall of the representatives' building and passed a couple guards. They nodded at him, not looking closely at his companions. Elise had her hood up, to hide her distinctive features.

They were now moving along a narrow alley between the citadel and the representatives' building. They reached a damp, wooden side door.

"A back entrance," Dolais said, grabbing the handle and twisting it sharply. It creaked in protest, but he opened it up. There were only a few servants inside, and they weren't likely to recognize any of them.

"We can continue taking side passages most of the way," Dolais said. "Is there anything else you need of me?"

Hruad smiled at him. "You have gotten us in, Dolais, and that's all we need ask of you. From here on you aren't needed badly, so you can get out of it now. Our die is cast, but you needn't be a part of it."

"Thank-you," he said, nodding his head to them all. "Good luck."
Old 03-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #390
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

OOC: *gasp* I take two days off at the moot and this thing suddenly erupts with life. I better hurry or I'll miss the finale!

At early dawn the two rohirrim finally reached Néred. Only a few trees and bushes limited their view on the citygates. Tareod's horse suddenly lifted its head and whinnied softly.

"He smells other horses." whispered Tareod to his sister.
"Here? We're not even in Néred yet."

They both halted and listened but no other sound was heard.

"They're not moving. In that case I think I'm getting a fairly good idea whom they belong to. Wait for me here." Silently Imarwyn slipped off Merrah's back. Walking softly she came across the abandoned camp side where Hraud's company had left the night before.

The horses stood together and a little further off Imarwyn distinguished the large forms of the ent and ontor with their backs toward her. No one else seemed to be present. Taking a detour around the clearing Imarwyn reached the horses. She cut Tiamar's bound and silently led the horse away. The ent and ontor did not hear her. Tareod looked surprised when Imarwyn returned, leading a black horse.

"Where did you get that?" he whispered.

"This is the horse I borrowed earlier in Néred. I cannot enter Néred without returning it. I found it at the camp of the others. They have all gone safe the ent and the ontor. So I assume they must be already within the citywalls. We've arrived just in time."

"And will we be able to enter?"

"We will." said Imarwyn with a grin. "Even if the gateguards are looking out for me, which I doubt, they won't stop us from entering. I'm not branded a traitor just yet. And the stable boy will be all to glad to see this horse returned."

"But that will get us in the city but not in the citadel." pointed her brother out.

Imarwyn shrugged. "The citadel can easily be accessed through the stables."

"Though probably not unnoticed."

"No," admitted Imarwyn "But I don't think that will be a problem. We might even manage to draw the attention away from other things what are about to happen in the citadel. Come! time is running out."

With a nudge from her heel, she send Merrah foreward. Soon both riders reached the gates and entered without much of a problem as Imarwyn had predicted.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:03 PM   #391
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

They continued down the side corridors of the citadel, the halls eerily quiet save for their own footsteps - and even those seemed strangely muffled.

"Like a tomb," someone whispered, and then was hurriedly shushed by the others. Like in any place filled with silence, making any sound seemed almost sacriligeous...

Glimdrell, scouting ahead of then, drifted back from time to time to signal the way was clear ahead of them. They all exchanged glances as they pressed on, hands never straying far from weapons. Aasinav walked quietly, his hands folded into the sleeves of his robes. He kept his eyes focused on the path ahead of them, though every now and then he seemed to glimpse a shadow out of the corner of his eye. Grim determination settled upon the group like a blanket, and they continued deeper into the citadel amidst silence and shadow.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:34 PM   #392
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Dagankor glanced at King Vahatres, who was seated on his throne, staring quietly and intently at the door opposite them. Dagankor felt the spell in the man's mind like a soft lump of warm wax, lying around the man's eyes. He couldn't see or hear clearly; Dagankor's voice could pierce the man's thoughts and command them whenever he bent his will that way. The man had been strong, but Dagankor had used that strength against him. What had been justice became harshness, what had been pride became arrogant demands, and all in tune with the wish of the Shadowhand. It acted through Dagankor, keeping complete control of Enedwaith.

He reached out to the table and picked up a green sheath. In it was a dark sword, the handle twisted and runes written on the blade in the Black Tongue of Mordor. The Shadowhand had dealings with Sauron occasionally, and he had been given this many years ago.

He buckled the sword around his waist, and walked back to Vahatres, smoothing his robes.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-02-2003 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM   #393
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"There's something wrong here," Glimdrell said quietly as they reached the upper parts of the citadel. There still were few people, but there were enough that they had to move quickly. They couldn't risk an encounter with the guards this early.

"I can't put my finger on it," Glimdrell continued, "but everything isn't as it seems."

"We can't use our power to seek out the source of it," Elise said. "The sorcerer would sense it at once, and our whole plan depends upon his being caught by complete surprise."

"Here we are," Hruad said as they entered the hallway linking to Vahatres' quarters.

The hallway was long and gold, a new sight for the hobbits, but the same as Hruad and Elise remembered it. The flooring was marble, but the room was completely empty and still.

"I think I must agree with you, Glimdrell," Hruad said. "This room is never empty."

They hurried to the center of the hall, and Hruad put his hand on the doorknob. Even as he did, Elise through caution to the winds and reached out with a powerful probing. Her eyes widened. "Hruad!"

He jumped as the doorknob in his hand was turned and the door was pulled open from within.

Dagankor stood directly inside. He surveyed the company briefly as soldiers in full battle armor poured into the hall from both entrances, drawing their swords. Their tunics each were red, with a broad black hand on the chest of each and on the back. There had to be fifty of them, twenty-five on each side of them.

Dagankor smiled, turning his gaze back to Hruad. "I have been expecting you."

"There's something wrong here," Glimdrell said quietly as they reached the upper parts of the citadel. There still were few people, but there were enough that they had to move quickly. They couldn't risk an encounter with the guards this early.

"I can't put my finger on it," Glimdrell continued, "but everything isn't as it seems."

"We can't use our power to seek out the source of it," Elise said. "The sorcerer would sense it at once, and our whole plan depends upon his being caught by complete surprise."

"Here we are," Hruad said as they entered the hallway linking to Vahatres' quarters.

They hurried to the center of the hall, and Hruad put his hand on the doorknob. He jumped as the doorknob in his hand was turned and the door was pulled open from within.

"I have been expecting you," Dagankor said with a cold smile.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-03-2003 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #394
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

Aasinav slowly stepped forward, drawing out the Hytorax and idly spinning it between his hands. The light from the rooms torches reflected off of its surface, creating a mesmerizing display of color upon the floor. The res of the party was looking around, warily, at the soldiers that had surrounded them - the odds certainly looked dim.

"The Hytorax," said Aasinav, his voice as calm and collected as always, "is ours, Dagankor. We have claimed the last of what we need."

A shadowy form floated out from behind the party, resolving itself into a dark phantom - one identical to Aasinav, though its eyes were cold and dark. The spectre was absent of color, and as the party watched, it floated over and was draped onto the sage like a cloak of shadow, before vanishing into him entirely.

Aasinav continued speaking to Dagankor, and said, "The others of our order have continued fighting amongst themselves while we have pursued our goals - I shall return to them with this item of power, and put an end to their petty squabbling. See to it that matters here are resolved. And as for you..."

He turned to face the party, looking much the same. There was no malice or cruelty in his eyes - just the same calm gaze. He met each of their eyes in turn, and said, in the same tone as before, "I suggest you surrender, and abandon your quest. I can assure you - you stand no chance against the might of even one sorcerer of our order."

And with that, he gestured, and the shadow reappeared around him. It expanded, and grew darker, cloaking him utterly from view - and then it vanished, leaving nothing there.

Aasinav, and the Hytorax... were both simply gone.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #395
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

ooc: Er..were we just attacked by a group of soldiers and a phantom who resembled Aasinav?

ic: I shuddered at the sight of the ghostly figure. It looked like my friend but it seemed to have a cold heart and a malice in its heart (if it had one) I looked at the room again survaying the size and its odd floors.
HOw did they take the Hytorax?" I asked Elise who stared blankley had the doorway as though expecting another person or thing to come out.
"What will they do to us?" I said with a hint of fear in my tone.
The door swung open letting in an eerie pale light as though the room had but two or three windows in it. Nothing was in the doorway this time and we hesitated deciding if we should turn back or follow the path being offered to us freely.
ooc: Not much I know but I have to get off now. goodnight.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #396
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I didn't know it was still postable here!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:53 PM   #397
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Haha Nice to see this old thread up again