Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2000, 01:02 AM   #81
juntel

Re: Let Gandalf Smite This Thing.

To lay it to rest is one thing.
To delete it another.

This thread shouldn't disapear, even if you decide to close it.
What is done is done.
It is a mirror of who we are, even though the mirror is imperfect.

I wasn't here during the day, so I don't know the content of the dialog mentionned above.

I have myself refrained from long posts lately, mostly due to my incapacity for now to contain an overuse of sarcasm; I don't like that in myself, nor in others.

We can't change each other's world in such debates, at least not overnight.
And of course no one should force down someone's throat one's beliefs.
Hence the primacy of individual decision in the case of such divergence of opinion.

Old 08-27-2000, 04:44 AM   #82
IronParrot

Re: Let Gandalf Smite This Thing.

What juntel said. From an admin perspective - if this goes, I'm not going to be the one getting my hands dirty doing it. It's still an intelligent debate with legitimate points being brought up.

And it may seem like I'm absent from this thread but I'm watching it. Trust me.

Old 08-27-2000, 05:17 AM   #83
Johnny Lurker

Anduin.

I am quite irritated... scratch that, I am ANGRY... with you now.

It is not whatever tone the post that begins with "I am just curious what"... Any tone there might or might not be to a message might perturb me, but it will not anger me.

I am not angered by your usage of my statistic - yes, it was mine. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I am most certainly not angered by the fact that you disagree with me. This does not affect me in the least. Any opinion you might hold - and perhaps share - about my viewpoint is your inherent right. I might not agree, but nothing you can say about my viewpoint will make me angry...

UNLESS...

you lie about it (my viewpoint).

And THAT is why I am angry with you.

Exhibit 1...

"Someone (JL i think) mentioned that there are something like 38 million legal abortions"

You tied the two-letter abbreviation "JL" to my handle, Johnny Lurker with this line. There is no flaw in this line itself.

Exhibit 2.

"JL, you think that the only reason to have sex is to procreate...."

This is the lie.

It is a direct quote from Topic 347, Post index number 72, made by one "anduin - Entwife - Administrator", at 8:11:05 PM on August 25th, 2000 AD, which has not been edited at the current time (23:54:20 CST 08/26/00)

Let's look at it piece by piece.

"JL"

You are using this in a direct reference to me. There is really no other possible option, given Exhibit 1 and the fact that you make use of the word "you" directly after it.

"JL, you think that"

You are making a statement of fact here. It is not a question about WHETHER I "think" something, it is a statement that says that I do think something.

"you think that the only reason to have sex is to procreate...."

This is the lie.

I do NOT think ANYTHING OF THE SORT.

I have searched through this entire thread, which is the only place I could conceivably have mentioned such an opinion.

And I have not done so.

And thus, you do not have proof of your statement.

Furthermore, and this is FTR, I think that there are MANY reasons to have sex. You can have sex for your own pleasure, sex for exercise, sex for preventing prostate cancer (no, I'm not kidding), sex for procreation, sex for bringing pleasure to your partner, and sex to consummate a marriage.

And, to top it all off, I believe that all of these reasons are quite valid within the bonds of marriage. I have NEVER claimed anything to the contrary.

I am FED UP with this. It MUST end, and end it will.

You, anduin, essentially have three options.

1) Ban me. You have administrative powers, and I will not bear you any further ill will if you simply decide to be rid of me. There will be no negative consequences brought down upon you from my corner if you take this option.

I advise you to consider it carefully.

2) Ignore me. You can do this in many different ways. Whatever the method or the reason, if I, in my sole judgement, decide that you have chosen this option, I will put myself into exile from this board for an indeterminate period. This is not a threat, but a fulfillment of the "and end it will" promise.

3) Apologize to me, and this will be over. Regardless of the sincerity of your apology, I will, for my part, put this lie behind me.

The ball is in your court now... the choice is yours. Choose wisely.

Old 08-27-2000, 01:25 PM   #84
anduin

JL, you are absolutely right.

I am sorry. The first paragraph was directed towards you, this much is true. As for the other two they were direct towards Gil. I had to go back and check for myself to make sure I really connected you to that statement because I knew that I meant it for Gil. So you have every right to be angry and I do appolgize. As for banning you, that would never be an option because you debated in a sound way and we here at Entmoot do not ban people for that...no matter how people's opinions differ from ours.

As for laying the thread to rest, I am all for that. Gil made his wishes clear (among others), but he had made his post before I finished mine. It was only after I finished my post that I saw he made a reference to end this thread in another post elsewhere on this board.

Finally, the only reason that this thread was brought to the top was because I wanted to keep some other thread pure. It was a blessing that it died down the first time, and maybe I should have been more careful calling it to the top once again, but at the time there seemed to be a need.

Now if no one highly objects to the closing of this thread..............................