Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2003, 04:20 AM   #21
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

hooray! Eowyn agrees with me!

To clarify things: I DO have the EP2 DVD. Huh? Spider Who? Spiderman? LOL!!! Stong with webs he isss..but not THAT strong.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:23 AM   #22
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
hooray! Eowyn agrees with me!
she's the only one mate

Spider huh

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 11:07 PM   #23
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

What will PJ&Co. do next?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pippin Skywalker
. . . Love Story of Han Leia-ANH-ESB-ROTK:
Intelligent,witty,and truly interesting. They were both spirited people but eventually melted and fell in love.
. . .
I guess this would be better than another Awren Flashback with some horse kissing.

Doesn't bug you when you press the wrong key. At least I hope it was the wrong key.

Although seeing Han using a blaster against a hoard of orcs would be funny. Or maybe the witch king will be slain by Leia's blaster (or Light saber if I may borrow from the Expanded Universe novels)

Back on topic, I do think the general quality of current trilogy has declined. I personally liked Ep2 better than Ep1, but both had problems, which have been covered in other areas of the forum.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:48 AM   #24
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

I said ROTK?!?! LOL
I meant ROTJ

Hurry up Luke! Put the ring in Mount Doom!

Old 02-26-2003, 07:47 AM   #25
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Hurry up Luke! Put the ring in Mount Doom!
I can just imagine 3PO and R2 treking with him across Mordoe and R2 getting his wheels stuck whilst gholam aka Vader follows Luke around saying "Luke you must join me precioussss"

Andrew Marvell
Old 03-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #26
gdl96
the greg the admin

I was going to post an intelligant reply to support how AOTC was better than TPM, but

Quote:
Originally posted by elendili
I do agree that the scripts were *ahem* a little hammy, cheesy, bab, terrible, painful to watch in ep.1 and 2 but i think u were supposed to concentrate on the sfx rather than the bad script.
I have now lost all faith in humanity

Quote:
i think Lucas should have got Spielburg to wrtie the script - look at Taken the story is shaky at best but at least its well written.
btw, I don't think Spielburg wrote the story for Taken. Cool miniseries though.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #27
elendili
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I have now lost all faith in humanity
Don't i just thought the scripts for ep1 and 2 were nothing compared to the original trilogies

Taken isn't bad but everyone looks exactly the same as though they've been made from the same hollywod mould

Andrew Marvell
Old 03-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #28
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Someone once said that everything has its winter and fall. WE are fortunate enough to be here today to see the fall or winter of the star war saga.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:42 AM   #29
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hmm...

I could write entire essays in response to some of the above comments, but I'm not really up to it right now, so remind me to do so later.

Let's just say I love Star Wars, I love analysing it rigourously, and I particularly respect what George Lucas has achieved with the Prequel Trilogy, which I think is ridiculously underappreciated.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:01 AM   #30
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Iron Parrot: I do think Episode 1 and 2 had great special effects and indeed in many ways lots of imagination. However even imagination must have a purpose and be well represented and brought to life by actors. Ep 1 had good performances Ep 2 less so. You can't drop writing a good script because special effects "cover a multitude of sins".
I love star wars too. I just wish the prequels were done as well as I used to imagine they could be. All movies are hits or misses.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #31
Tinuviel22
Sapling

Overall, I think the worst SW movie is episode2
The only good thing on it was the clones. Episode1 was a little better except that Jar-Jar starts screwing things up after eps.1 The trilogy was well done and a lot of thought, effort, and talent were put into them.
Episode2 has too much wishy-washy stuff in it and it does't stay with the story. ( We're supposed to be watching something about clones and Dark forces, not Anakin's love life!!) And the actors were so bad!!
I think sticking mostly with the trilogy is your best chance. You can actually get a good story out of it. Let's hope Episode 3 is better!
So P. Skywalker, you can make that two that agree with you! Whoopdeedo!
Tinuviel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:05 AM   #32
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah it's bad. This is sad news for SW fans. I don't think he can do anything about it now even though he has 3 more movies to go. He already ruined the series. The whole thing's gone down the drain.

But at least in Ep. 2 he had realised his mistake with JarJar.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:48 AM   #33
WhackoJacko
Hobbit

he has 3 more movies to go?? what what what??

the series went down hill as early as the Empire strikes back. the script was funny and witty BUT come on, 4 legged heavy armoured war machines?? in the age of space travel?? the Empire deserved to lose

and i dont wanna no stinking chocolat yoda lol.....can anyone in their right mind really believe wise old yoda in touch with the Force, lead an army to battle much less flapping a lightsabre around?

oh and

Gollum: Give me the ring Frodo, and together we can rule this ME together. The Dark Lord has forseen it.

Frodo: no never! Gandalf told me you killed my Father.

Gollum: NO, i am your Father. Search your feelings you know it to be true.

Frodo: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

jumps over the ledge, and Sam jumps after him

they both lands on a branch, and the eagles come for them
WhackoJacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 05:40 PM   #34
Taleia
Sapling

I can appreciate both sides of the issue (personally I think all the movies were a little surface. I mean, the world itself is awesome, but only watching the movies doesn't give you muh of that world, like LOTR doesn't give you half the beauty of Tolkien's world). On the other hand, I can see Lucas' reluctance to share his 'baby' too badly' Writers are selfish.

- I am a writer.

Taleia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:47 AM   #35
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinuviel22
We're supposed to be watching something about clones and Dark forces, not Anakin's love life!!
George Lucas said before the film was released that it was basically meant to be a love story between Padmé and Anakin. That was meant to be the central theme of the movie. The primary sad thing where that's concerned that I can see is that they didn't have more time to develop it.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:27 PM   #36
Taleia
Sapling

If that was the point of the movie... the movie is pointless.
Taleia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:40 AM   #37
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I loved Episode two!! But maybe it's because I have a little obsession with two of the main characters.

And, Ewan McGregor was also very good in Episode 1. He is always good.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:24 AM   #38
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Re: The Fall Of The Star Wars Saga

Quote:
A sad truth.

The prequels of the classic Star Wars Trilogy are almost all finished and I realize what has befallen...the fall of the saga...

The classic trilogy was well acted, often well scripted (ESB the most but also in ANH) and generally was more character driven.
Jump twenty years into the future. Prequels are being made to the trilogy so many love and they come out and are sadly dissapointing.

Episode 1: Worth 3 out of 5 stars. Liam Neeson was as brilliant Qui Gon Jinn, as was Pernilla August as Anikan's mother. Although a lot of the movie felt fake in an aweful video game sort of way and there was some lack of real emotion and connection with the characters, it still matained some depth and good acting.

Episode 2: ACK! No Qui Gon, Very little Pernilla August and the rest in the hands of two teeny teen actors, and Christopher Lee who belongs in LOTR more than SW. The acting was poor, the script was BAD, the story lacked real depth, wit or substance and I came out feeling this picture was mostly a FX extravaganza going under the name of the noble Star Wars Family.

WHAT happened? I think a couple of things.

George Lucas was great in the 70's and 80's but then he did not direct a motion picture for 20 years until the new SW films. I believe his graces "decayed" from lack of use and also he fell prey to the temptation of the vast array of special effects he could now do which he wanted to use in the early days. He then put the story on the back burner. Also screenwriting is not really his gift. He is great at creating a story but should get screenwriters to of quality to write out his dream. Star Trek Nemesis is a very good trek film why? Because although it is using the story of Star Trek the script was written by the person who wrote Gladiator-and oscar nominee. Therefore the story was strong as was the script and although not everything was spit polish perfect it still was pretty impressive where impressive counts. Ironically the most recent Trek film had old fx but good story/script while Episode 2 of SW had it the other way around.

What should Lucas do? He should get a new scriptwriter other than himself to do Episode 3 and he can still oversee the story.
Not much can be done about the casting now..but maybe some good actors can be put in supporting roles to give the acting more heft.

What do you all think?
What do you mean, "the fall of the Star Wars Saga"???
Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 PM   #39
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Both prequels were disapointing, but i still like them. I believe that the reason that AOTC is so cheesy somtimes(mostofthetime) is because that stupid screenplay writer whatshisname came along and 'polished' it. i am not saying i thought ep.1 is better, just that: someone who writes scripts for movies like Scorpian king( i hope noeones offended ) arent gonna improve anything, and didnt.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #40
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Re: The Fall Of The Star Wars Saga

Quote:
A sad truth.

The prequels of the classic Star Wars Trilogy are almost all finished and I realize what has befallen...the fall of the saga...

The classic trilogy was well acted, often well scripted (ESB the most but also in ANH) and generally was more character driven.
Jump twenty years into the future. Prequels are being made to the trilogy so many love and they come out and are sadly dissapointing.

Episode 1: Worth 3 out of 5 stars. Liam Neeson was as brilliant Qui Gon Jinn, as was Pernilla August as Anikan's mother. Although a lot of the movie felt fake in an aweful video game sort of way and there was some lack of real emotion and connection with the characters, it still matained some depth and good acting.

Episode 2: ACK! No Qui Gon, Very little Pernilla August and the rest in the hands of two teeny teen actors, and Christopher Lee who belongs in LOTR more than SW. The acting was poor, the script was BAD, the story lacked real depth, wit or substance and I came out feeling this picture was mostly a FX extravaganza going under the name of the noble Star Wars Family.

WHAT happened? I think a couple of things.

George Lucas was great in the 70's and 80's but then he did not direct a motion picture for 20 years until the new SW films. I believe his graces "decayed" from lack of use and also he fell prey to the temptation of the vast array of special effects he could now do which he wanted to use in the early days. He then put the story on the back burner. Also screenwriting is not really his gift. He is great at creating a story but should get screenwriters to of quality to write out his dream. Star Trek Nemesis is a very good trek film why? Because although it is using the story of Star Trek the script was written by the person who wrote Gladiator-and oscar nominee. Therefore the story was strong as was the script and although not everything was spit polish perfect it still was pretty impressive where impressive counts. Ironically the most recent Trek film had old fx but good story/script while Episode 2 of SW had it the other way around.

What should Lucas do? He should get a new scriptwriter other than himself to do Episode 3 and he can still oversee the story.
Not much can be done about the casting now..but maybe some good actors can be put in supporting roles to give the acting more heft.

What do you all think?
The end of the star wars trilogy? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(take s a long breath)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!