Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2000, 07:11 AM   #1
Lord Rob Hal

Have these authors been mentioned here?

I haven't found anything on these authors. These are great fantasy series: First, there's David. B. Coe and the Lon-Tobyn series. This one is fairly new. Book 3 is coming out soon. I higly recommend this one. Second, there's George R.R. Martin with his series, A Song of Ice and Fire. A very compley, very good series. There is currently two books out out of a projected 6. Third, there's Robin Hoob, with The Farseer. I personnaly loved this trilogy. It's amazing.
Old 01-31-2000, 07:34 AM   #2
emilsson

Re: Have these authors been mentioned here?

I don´t think there has been any mention of those writers. Of the three you listed, I have read Robin Hoob´s first book in The Farseer trilogy. I thought it was amazing too. It was like no other fantasy book I´ve read, quite eerie IMO. I´m hoping to read the following books soon.
Old 01-31-2000, 08:57 AM   #3
Jaro

Re: Have these authors been mentioned here?

oooh, I love Robin Hobb! I read the first of the Bingtown Traders trilogy - it's different from Farseer, but just as excellent. Has anyone read C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy? Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, and Crown of Shadows.
Old 01-31-2000, 03:27 PM   #4
Hernalt

Could you guys please relate whatever "that something special" was that made that book/series/author stand out to you? (For instance, Dr. Suess put a dent in my head from early on because of his lyrical bloodstream. That and them darn expansive Dali-esque illustrations. No kid should be subjected to Dali at 3yo.)
Old 02-02-2000, 01:48 AM   #5
jedi master princess

Re: ...

i picked up robin hobb cuz of the michael whelan cover initially. " but the first page i scanned was really good...the entire series is incredible. great emotionally-draining stuff. other authors...dave wingrove, melanie rawn, j.v. jones, feist (of course), robin mckinely (sp??), philip pullman, umm....there's more but i can't remember... usualy i pick up a book because of how the first page reads, it's cover, and the blurb on the back... ::goes back to jedi meditation::
Old 02-02-2000, 07:13 AM   #6
Jaro

Robin McKinley, Melanie Rawn, Guy Gavriel Kay, Frank Herbert, Dennis McKiernan, Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, Anne McCaffrey... .. I love them all because they write realistically. Their worlds are well-planned and easy to see and the characters are incredibly complex and can be identified with. What I love best about these authors is that their characters grow and change throughout the course of the book or series.
Old 02-03-2000, 04:20 AM   #7
anduin

Wow, you really can't ask for more than that. :P
Old 02-04-2000, 09:13 PM   #8
emilsson

While reading some fantasy books I have felt the lead characters will survive and triumph. Not so with The Farseer, the outcome seemed uncertain and that made it more interesting in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2000, 06:48 AM   #9
Lord Rob Hal

The Farseer is an excellent series. The conclusion is not quite what is expected. Robin Hobb is a talented writer.