Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2000, 09:31 PM   #1
IronParrot

I can't believe it's already been a year

I don't think I'll ever forget sitting in a lawnchair in the drizzling rain outside the theatre... man, what a night to remember.

One year, already. How time flies.
Old 05-18-2000, 11:31 PM   #2
thrawn96

Re: I can't believe it's already been a year

Yeah...if one year passes so quick, it wont be that bad for another two years, I guess. Its the one year anniversery tomarow, right? I remember waiting in the line in the theatre to get seated. I'll never forget the excitement. There were these two SW geeks in front of me doing SW trivia to each other.
Old 05-19-2000, 01:03 AM   #3
bmilder

Yeah? And I bet you could answer all the questions yourself! Or at least I could

Wow, it doesn't seem all that long ago, but it was. I don't remember standing in line, because I don't think I did, or at least not a long one. I didn't go to the midnight showing but my parents took us to an afternoon showing (I don't know how I got through the school day!) Actually, I can't have skipped school May 19th, although I had wanted to, because that was the day of that awful Patterns Project. Remember that idiocy, Greg?

I remember that amazing feeling as the scrolling introduction was on the screen, with the Star Wars music playing... I couldn't believe it was actually happening. (It was, of course )

We take watching the classic trilogy for granted (or at least those of us too young to have seen it at the time or not even born yet do) but now I understand how it must have felt between '77 and '80, and '80 and '83. Why do movies take so long???!!?
Old 05-19-2000, 05:16 AM   #4
IronParrot

Exactly a year ago, the opening scroll would have just finished over here where I live... I caught the midnight showing, and got the best seat in the house.
Old 05-19-2000, 06:40 AM   #5
emilsson

When May 19th came it felt like it was all real. I mean, that was the point I fully realised the new SW movie that I had been waiting for 4.5 years was here. I just had this feeling that a party that would last for six years had started. So I walked around, smiling the whole day. But since I live Sweden I had to wait another three months ( until Aug 19th ). Still, it was a great time and I am sure the time when ep2 comes will be just as great.
Old 05-19-2000, 09:34 AM   #6
Fat middle

in Spain we had to wait till aug-20th, time enough to spoil the whole movie, even if you didn´t look for news on Internet.

Thaks God and New Line an PJ and whoever with LOTR we´ll have a world release on the same date: december 14th!
Old 05-19-2000, 11:56 AM   #7
anduin

I have to admit that EP1 is the only movie that I can remember the date that it came out and have kept the date in the back of my mind. It has been there waiting, just like a good friend's birthday.

I live very close to our theatre and knew that it was going to have a line. I packed my bags and tent Saturday night, ready to leave at a moments notice. Everyday, I drove up to the theatre to make sure no one had gotten in line yet.....secretly hoping that they wouldn't start lining up too soon. Monday morning I drove up there and Monday afternoon. Then I went back up there at 4:00pm and there were two kids in line. At that point, I started to drive up every hour to check the status of the line. At 9:00 there were about 9 people in line and I decided to leave. It was a beautiful spring evening! I set up my tent and got to know my fellow line dwellers. That evening, there weren't that many ppl inline.....maybe 30. But the next morning when I woke up, there were at least a hundred, with more coming every second. Then the news stations started coming. Mike said the only time he got to see me (he was too much of a wuss to stand in line) was when I was interviewed on TV. In fact, that is where I told him (live) good night Tuesday evening. By Wednesday morning, the line almost wrapped completely around the building.....one more turn, and we would have been able to see the end of the line!! Wednesday was also media central. The parking lot was full of news trucks and the skies were humming with helicopters. It was one of the most exciting things I have ever been apart of.

The night of the movie wasn't much different....just as much media, just as much excitement.

Everyone in line was reading the book, playing SW Trivial Pursuit, sitting in huge Maul "air chairs", watching the OT, and reliving past lines (hehe, those old enough to remember ) The theatre was even kind enough to leave it's doors open so that we could use their restrooms. We had it pretty good, some other cinemas were threatening to have anyone arrested that was found loitering. What idiots.....you can't pay for the kind of publicity that we were generating.

Wow, that was fun....thanks for letting me rant and re-live!! And may the force be with you!
Old 05-19-2000, 03:27 PM   #8
bmilder

I can't imagine having to have to wait several more months after May 19th... I know that if I were in a different country, I'd demand to be taken to America to see it ASAP . Recall also that GL moved the date to the 19th from the 21st. He probably could have gotten more money on the 21st and set even more records since the 21st was a Friday (unless it was a Saturday; it was some weekend day) but I would be (was) happy to see it even minutes sooner than originally expected .
Old 05-20-2000, 01:49 AM   #9
thrawn96

:lol: The patterns project. I hate it when teachers say theyre gonna grade something really harshly, but they give everyone an A. Remember the research report for science last year? Mrs. Nee gave out all those guidlines. Someone in my class had her presentation under 5 minutes, and she still got a good grade. But i messed up on the margins on the paper and got a C on that part! I hate that!
Anyway, not many ppl seemed to notice that today was the one year anniversery. I didnt want to seem too wierd so I only mentioned it once: today the 8th grade went on a trip to the holocaust museum in Washington DC. We were going through the Baltomore tunnel, and the girl sitting in front of me was afraid of tunnels. So we were all joking around about how frequent tunnels implode, and today was the one year anniversery of the big 'tunnel collapse'. Then I went, "and the one year anniversery of SW" That was the only time I mentioned it the whole day.