Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-23-2000, 07:41 PM   #21
Xivigg

Re: ...

I'm not saying that i totaly agree with Lucas far from it

I think that the 3 first movies were far in advance from their time

While The Phantome Menace has almost nothing different than other Hollywood movies i've seen these last years

I think Amidala is her name and Padmé the name of her disguise self

Now to be blunt i think TPM was poorly created
While the begining was great
the travel from the Gungan underwater city to the capital city of the naboo take far to much time
it would have been ok if the actor were talking to each other or something but no the only thing they put was fish eating each other and trying to eat them at the same time

Likewise the podrace took way to much time

I just understand what has make the first 3 movies that good

It's that even when they were head deep in trouble they were alway's talking (taunting) to each other even in lighsaber duel conversation take place

While in the phantome menace action take place but without great quote (the only 2 people talking were Jar-Jar and Anakin and i don't think i'm going to quote any of them soon
Old 10-23-2000, 08:57 PM   #22
Sauganast

One thing about the sith is that it says there is always two of them: the master and the apprentice. As far as the Darth Maul healing thing goes, if anyone here has read or played Jedi Knight: Dark forces 2, you will see that one of the enemies in there has no legs, they were cut off, and he uses the dark side of the force to remain healed, and he just sorta hovers. I think this is a possibility, and while I would be happy to see Darth Maul back, I don't expect him back. I think he should remain dead. And the clone wars wasn't so much Jedi killing Jedi as it was The Empire sending huge armies at Jedi's and slaughtering them. Exactly how far back does this movie take place compared to A New Hope? I always thought the clone wars took place a long time before A New Hope, but obviously not.
Old 10-24-2000, 12:21 AM   #23
Xivigg

I don't want to disapoint you but if my memory is right the Clone War take place some 30 year before the empire
Old 10-24-2000, 01:29 AM   #24
SarahStar

Jedi Knight is not canon. It is not even official. It is just plain wrong. According to Dark Forces, after all, Kyle Katarn stole the original Death Star plans! We all know that's just plain silly! :/

Let's clear up a grammatical point. The word Jedi is both singular and plural. (Perhaps in some languages the translators add an s?) This really doesn't make a difference to most people, but after the release of Episode 1 and the influx of crazed "fans" (who soon disappeared back into the woodwork), it really gets on my nerves for some reason. That was probably a typo in your post, but I felt a need to vent. (I've been wanting to vent that for several months now.)

We know from the classic trilogy that Anakin Skywalker fought in the Clone Wars. (I belive that Obi-wan was a General of some sort.) We know from Lucas (who could, I suppose, be deceiving us) that we will encounter the Clone Wars in Episode 2.
Old 10-24-2000, 02:06 AM   #25
Xivigg

The only thing we know for sure is that in the end only Yoda and Obi-Wan will be alive and that Anakin will become Darth Vader

we can speculate on almost anything else butwe won,t know for sure before the third movies what will realy happen
Old 10-24-2000, 06:18 PM   #26
X Rogue

I admit, I was disappointed in Episode 1 as well, but then I figured I would be. It was written to be a transitional movie, really, instead of a true prequel, and in most cases, it is the transitional movies/books in a series that bore me or make me wish I could just get to what happens next immediately. It happened the very first time I ever read "the Two Towers", and every time since that I have read/seen something transitional. I expected it with Phantom Menace, prepared for it, and was able to enjoy it enough that the only thing that really bothered me was the lack of characterization.(that and Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan beaving like they were weaned on Prozac. At least Luke was passionate about saving the galaxy. The only halfway passionate person in PM was Yoda.) And oh, what they could've done with Maul. I'm gonna miss him.... I'm just waiting for the next movie. Sure, I have questions, but I expect at least *some* of the to be answered then. If not, then you can expect to hear loud screams of rage coming from my direction. Mr. Lucas does have a right to tell his story as he chooses, but not a right to tell it poorly. We are paying for tickets to hear it, after all. And for videos, DVDs, lunchboxes(those of us with kids), etc. My 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2000, 07:48 PM   #27
Elbreth of Carhouth

It has to be realized too that Lucas has alot of pressure on him. Star Wars was never meant to become a great hit. It was meant to be watched and known by only a small few, like THX 1138 or Willow.
He started in the middle of the story line because that's where the action was, and where the audiance would catch on quicker. He then had to deal with authors usurping his story line, and writing in one of thier own. I have nothing against any of the books, it's just that Lucas had to somehow fit this into his plot because there was nothing else he could do. These stories were snatched up hot off the press.
I don't know that he ever intended to make episodes 1, 2, and 3 once he had finished 4, 5 and 6. It was his original intent, yes, but after he saw the effect of the other's he grew weary of being known.
He now was asked to do more Star Wars, and the only way he could go is back, because there are books that go too far into the future for his original script to work anylonger.
His original script was just his own story, that he wrote for his own enjoyment, and was more than happy to share with others. He's been continually haveing to modify it to match the modern SW universe.

As to Episode 2, I know that it will be even more trasitional that PM, because it's basically a love story between Anakin and Amidala, and Anakin's own struggle with the light and dark side of the force. By the end, I think, will come his hatred of the Jedi.
Old 11-04-2000, 01:59 AM   #28
MITHRAND1R

On a scale of 1-10, I thought PM was about a 7.5.

It was not a bad film, but it could have been much better.

Jar-Jar was annoying in the movie, but was a little better in the book. I think that with better interaction between Jar-Jar, his people and the jedi could have improved the movie.

I actually thought the way the (aliens blockading naboo, i forget thier name) sounded like the japanese soldiers portrayed in some old 1940's/1950's movies about WWII. It was hard to have a fear of them when I was just laughing at the way they spoke.

(I am not intending at making fun of Japanese people or how they speak, but seeing space aliens speaking in a stereotypical Japanese fashion seemed so odd that I had a hard time not laughing at the aliens)

I did not like the way r2d2 and 3cpo were introduced into the film, especially 3cpo. It just seemed too contrived for my liking.

The dialogue while not inspiring was ok.

If amadala and anakin are not going to get married, the PM definitely makes it seem like a strong possibility.

Although, I am not sure what could have been done, it seems that the technology in PM was better than the originial star wars.

The mitacondria (sp?) seemed really bogus to me. Granted since its GL's story he can change it if he wants, but my understanding of the force is that you either had the gift or not. If a relative had the force there was a better chance of you getting it, but no guarantees.

There were probably other things that I did not like with PM, but I will have to reread the book or watch the film again.

Sincerely,

Anthony
:rollin:
Old 12-13-2000, 06:24 AM   #29
arynetrek

midichlorians

while we're on the subject of midichlorians...

IMO the Force is supposed to be a mystery - that was one of the best touches of episodes 4-6. and now in TPM they tell us that there's a documented, detailed, factual explanation for the Force? that just ruins the mystery that was built up in the original movies. especially in the Yoda scenes, the writing & action makes the Force into something that's intentionally vague, & to solidify or explain that away (especially with a STUPID "plot" element like the midichlorians & the theory that Anakin was conceived by them) just ruins the whole idea behind the Force.

not that i'm against scientific explanations, but some things (especially matters of faith) should remain unexplained IMO. not everything needs to be proved.

the rest of my opinion of TPM is somewhere in this forum, i don't feel like typing it again. basically i think they should have spent a lot more time on development (character, plot, continuity, theme, etc.) & less on trying to force humor & spectacle. but it is not a completely bad movie, just ill-made.

aryne *
Old 01-04-2001, 09:26 PM   #30
gdl96

Re: midichlorians

***contains spoilers***

I've been keeping a lot of track on Episod II thanks to theforce.net. Darth Maul will not be back. This has been confirmed by Lucas himself. There will be a new Sith apprentice of Sidious.

There's also a bunch of other stuff. Jar Jar will be more "mature" and start look like the other Gungans from Naboo. Amidala will no longer be queen of Naboo, but will be Senator. Boba Fett, his father Jango Fett, and the Madalorians will be in it. Jango has a pretty big part apparently, while Boba is still kind of young and is his apprentice or something. There will be a nightclub scene, which looks really cool. starwars.com put out some pictures of this scene.

***end of spoilers*
In all, Episode looks like it'll be a lot better than TPM. It will be darker and no longer a kids movie.

This is the 1000th post in the SW forum!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2001, 04:27 PM   #31
Fat middle

Re: midichlorians

i went back to TF.N last month after a long, long time. i found a thread with speculation of possible plots. everybody seem to agree in the main lines of Ep.2

after reading some posts there i got the conclussion that it can be a really good movie and that may be it will make us forget (and forgive) TPM.

i think it all depends on how many lines will get Jar-Jar
Old 01-10-2001, 08:01 PM   #32
Miralys

Re: The New Movies

Maybe this is just a side note but I have always been under the impression that Boba Fett is not in fact the character's real name but rather a chosen alias/psuedonym?

I guess that if Lucas is s****ping the EU story line that it really doesn't matter though. Sorry if this is off target. Boba Fett is one of my favorite characters and I personally would be thrilled to have him and the Mandalorians in Episode II or III.