Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-23-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
Human#3.141592653
Elven Warrior

Why I USED to like ElfQuest

I read the books 1-9 in 6th grade from my local library, checking a rechecking them out. They were my first exposure to graphic novles (all I had known before were comics,) and the art and coloring really impressed me.
Recently, I discovered that another library had more EQ novles. You can imagen my excitement and utter disapointment at what I found. The stories no longer held the same life. Characters who were once so cool had become winey. Character devolpement ingeneral had gone down the drain. Some stories weren't logical, and didn't fit the flow of the original story.
And the art. Some art was incredible, and at other times so very not.
What happened? Was it always like this and I was simply too dull to notice, or are Wendy adn Richard flogging teh dog that be dead?
My main complaint centers around my two used to be favorite characters, Ember and Rayek. When Ember rides off to become chief, she immeadiatly becomes a fuffy-head girly girl. Wha...? What happened to the Tom-Boy Ember we see in the hidden years and before? Especially in the Hidden years, she seems wiser, and in more control of her self, while in Huntress she seems more childish. And they made a whole book deticated to that childishness.
And Rayek...he used to be so cool. Overly proud and contrary, he was just an all around interesting character. And then? Rouge's Curse. I would have been cool, it could have been cool. The Idea was great adn the potential was there. But he became to humble too fast, teh story focused to much on his "torment" and then events in teh story it self weren't all that interesting. Plus, they say "Only a pure heart can control the shard..." But Isn't Willowill the one who flew the Palace in shards? Wasn't she controlling it then?
Human#3.141592653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:13 PM   #2
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
What happened? How long has it been since you read 1-9? if it has been over a year, then i think ya just grew out of them. It happened to me. Or maybe the author just lost his/her spark.
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:08 AM   #3
Human#3.141592653
Elven Warrior

Well, I'm in 11 grade now...so...
That's sad. I read Tolkien before EQ, and I still like it.
Yeah, maybe it's an author thing...
Human#3.141592653 is offline   Reply With Quote