Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Philip K. Dick, anyone?!

Anyone at all?! Am I the only one who has read this guys stuff? My favourites are Valis, Ubik and Man in the high tower.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
Draken
Elf Lord

Not a HUGE fan - in that I've not read those three books for starters - but yes I like his stuff. Martian Timeslip sticks in my mind, for some reason.

His fiction is so wonderfully paranoid...as, by all accounts, was he!

btw censoring software can make discussing his books extremely difficult on most of the Web, I have found!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
anduin
Entwife

I just finished Martian Time-Slip and I am about to start A Maze of Death.

VALIS and The Man In The High Castle seem to be his most famous works (for lack of a better term)...besides I suppose Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. BOP have you read any of his other books? I just started reading his books while in Vancouver and was disappointed to find that my local bookstore didn't have more of his works. Do you have any other selections that are also as good as the ones you listed? And are there any trilogies that I should be aware of so that I don't pick up up one in the middle by mistake?
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:10 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've also read Martian Timeslip, Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep, and Confessions of a Crap Artist. I'd like to read some more of his work, but it's pretty hard to track down in the book stores, and I seem to have covered all his big bodies of work - I guess I'll have to start on his short story collections. Although I'd like to tackle Time out of Joint, and the Simulacra. I read Martian Timeslip and Androids when I was really young though, so I'd like to re-read them sometime. I'm am unsure about any trilogies, sorry. But I do recommend Ubik if you haven't already read it - it's probably my favourite one. Oh, and let me know how Maze goes - I haven't heard of that one; if it's any good, I'll try and get my hands on it.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:47 PM   #5
anduin
Entwife

Man, I just love his books. I can't believe that I haven't read anything of his before now. Well I just finished Maze of Death and was surprised to see references made to Tolkien and Lord of the Rings.

This was a very interesting book to say the least and is somewhat a mystery novel. Basically 14 people are sent to a planet but do not know what their purpose will be. Some start to turn up dead (not a spoiler unless you don't read the backs of books) but no one knows who is doing the killing. Mingled in this story is a bizarre religion, based it appears on present day Christianity but the differences is that Gods existance has finally been proven.

I loved the ending of this book. Two twists before all is said and done. Just a wonderful piece of sci/fi. I am off to find me some more!
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Recently read The Man in the High Castle. Have also read Ubik, Androids... and Valis long ago. Maze sounds interesting -- I'll have to look for it at the library.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:50 AM   #7
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Hello there

Dick is my favourite sci-fi author by far. I just re-read Androids; so different from Blade Runner, but not inferior in my view (great example of how film adaptations have to change to emulate).

The best one I've read is A Scanner Darkly (tho i've not read Man in the High Castle, which everyone says is his best work). Anyone else read that?

I've also read The Three Stigmata..., ..Timothy Archer, a couple whose titles I can't remember and a bunch of short stories. All, without fail, make you sit up and take notice.

I quite enjoyed Minority Report, though all the best bits clearly came from Dick, not Spielberg (the animated cereal packets which won't turn off). The man was such a genius, not even Steven Spielberg can ruin his ideas. I love the Perky Pat stuff: space colonists so bored by living on a lump of barren rock that they get obsessed with soap operas. Now,
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I haven't read Minority Report yet, but I have read The Man in the High Castle, which I thought was very chilling. I'll have to re-read it though, as I read it when I was fairly young, and don't really remember it.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:12 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I really enjoyed Man in the High Castle, a chilling but also thought provoking book.