Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2002, 06:38 PM   #41
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Choice

How does the Choice work exactly? For example, did Arwen actually make the choice with Aragorn right before the Fellowship set out from Rivendell? What was the significance of Arwen giving Aragorn her pendant?

You know you're confused when all your sentances end with question marks.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 03:30 AM   #42
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

There is no rule regarding the choices, the cases are all special.

In the book, Arwen made her choice almost 40 years before the journey of the Fellowship, when she and Aragorn plighted their troth(sp?) upon Cerin Amroth in Lorien. Her choice became irreversable when Elrond sailed over sea.

I think it is suggested that her twin brothers Elladan and Elrohir for some reason were admitted to delay their choice.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #43
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
i remember reading about her neclace somewhere

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 12:36 PM   #44
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis

So, the necklace was given to Frodo by Arwen, and at the same time she told him that he may go to the West if he wished, when the time was due. But the gem was meant as a gift of memory and aid in troubled hours, and not actually as a symbol of a 'place in the boat'. After all, both Sam and Bilbo went, as Ringbearers, and it was as a Ringbearer Frodo was admitted into the West.
She didn't give him the necklace as a symbol of her place on the ship, however that's what it symbolizes in the book, a sort of trading of places.

If you think about it, Luthien and Tour could be construed as "trading", though of course only if you view Mandos as a sort of bean-counter.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:40 PM   #45
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
She didn't give him the necklace as a symbol of her place on the ship, however that's what it symbolizes in the book, a sort of trading of places.
Hm. I re-read the actual passage in the book and I suppose it can be understood like you say, just that I never did and still does not. When Arwen says: 'in my place you shall go, Ringbearer', I don't see it as trading of places, only as a statement of facts. Frodo is a Ringbearer, so he is allowed to sail into the West. Besides, the necklace is never mentioned as a symbol of immortality in the book.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:47 PM   #46
Blackheart
Elf Lord

No, it would be a tad unsubtle to come right out and say it.

But I suppose it is a matter of interpretation.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:03 AM   #47
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil

As for the Elfstone story, I do have a recollection of that. I think that idea that Gandalf brought it back from the Blessed Realm is more acceptable though, as the Celebrimbor idea involved Celebrimbor of Gondolin. As you know in the Lord of the Rings Celebrimbor was a Fëanorian.
didn't Celebrimbor live in Nargothrond?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:12 AM   #48
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, in my opinion, yes. That's my point. In the Lord of the Rings Celebrimbor is "descended from Fëanor", and the story that developed included his sojourn in Nargothrond, and he never lived in Gondolin. He was not of Fingolfin's people, but was Fëanor's grandson. Therefore the story about the Elessar being made by Celebrimbor of Gondolin should not be accepted.

Quote:
But I suppose it is a matter of interpretation.
No, you're right Blackheart. Tolkien says in a letter or two that Arwen gave Frodo her place.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-22-2002 at 06:13 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:40 AM   #49
Beruthiel
Hobbit

I know Tolkien might have said Arwen gave away her place, but - I see it more as (....especially after reading the Appendixes carefully) - that she really thought about sailing back. There WAS another ship, as I recall, that Legolas and Gimli took, but - I think she was too distraught to think of finding out about it.

I think she felt shame when she thought of going back on her promise to Aragorn, and in the end, did the "noble" thing.

The necklace and the Elessar being mixed up in the movie made me cringe. I wish they'd just stick to the facts!

Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:22 PM   #50
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

There were indeed still ships left in the Grey Havens in the Fourth Age, for not everybody left at the end of the Third. But the ship Gimli and Legolas took was built by Legolas, not the people of CÃ*rdan.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:19 PM   #51
Bertuthiel
Sapling

Wow, didn't Legolas turn out to be the crafty one! Cool. Thanks for that info!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:47 PM   #52
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Arwen did not exactly give away her place. Tolkien explains in at least one of his letters (two, I think) that Arwen would have consulted with Galadriel and perhaps Gandalf, who in turn would have asked the Valar that special dispensation be granted to Frodo and Bilbo.

By the time Arwen bestowed her gift upon Frodo, the decision to allow him to pass over Sea (if he desired) had been made by higher powers than the Queen of Gondor and Arnor.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 12:44 AM   #53
Archbob the Elder
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
I'm so confused. Why is it that Elrond's children had a choice between mortality and immortality, while Elros's children didn't? It doesn't make sense to me.
It makes perfect sense. Elrond chose to be elf, therefore his children are young as long as he stays in middle-earth, but they may choose to go with him when he leaves or to grow old and die.

Elros chose to be human and therefore all his descendants must live with that decision.

So by Mathematical formula:

M(e)=I/k+g(l)^P(e)

Get it?
Old 08-29-2002, 02:15 PM   #54
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Yes I get it, and it makes sense. I just don't like it.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 11:23 PM   #55
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Re: The Choice

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
How does the Choice work exactly? For example, did Arwen actually make the choice with Aragorn right before the Fellowship set out from Rivendell?
Her choice to becomes final when Elrond leaves middle Earth for Aman.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:56 AM   #56
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Welcome to Entmoot Lefty Scaevola.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote