Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I don't understand...(please read AND reply)

I don't understand why the dwarves were so welcome in the Last Homely House...wouldn't there be a lot of tension between the elves and dwarves? I mean, aren't elves and dwarves prejudice against eachother? Please answer!
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quite honestly I don't think it was tension so much as the fact that they are very different in personality. Of course, The Hobbit was more of a children's story and a different book than LotR or Silm, so the relationship wasn't played up as much there. I think in The Hobbit the elves are more bemused by the dwarves and the dwarves are portayed as grim, with a wry sense of humor. The elves are lighthearted and playful. So the personalities are shown as being at odds, but that doesn't stop the dwarves from having a pleasant, restful stay in Rivendell. By the time of LotR, the dark lord has sent his servants out into the world and things are changing. Everyone has grown very mistrustful of other races. I think that accounts for some of the change in mood between the elves and dwarves by that time.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:15 PM   #3
Carafin
Elven Warrior

Well, I like your point it is true that the Hobbit is more of a childrens story, but something to take into consideration is that Elrond is very wise and may have had his own reasonsfor welcoming the dwarves so kindly. also I think that as long as both parties (elves and dwarves) are nice to each other than they would get along quite well, after all the dwarves were friends of the elves long ago. And finally Elrond may not have wholly approved of the dwarves, but he was in no way opposed to the death of Smaug(it says "he hated dragons and thier cruel wickedness... and grieved at the ruin of Dale.

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

Thanks! You've made it more clear to me now!
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 07:01 AM   #5
Findegil
Elven Warrior

I might add this:
The Elves of Rivendell were mostly of noldorin race. Rivendell was the last refuge for the remnants of Eregion (and of the rescue army that Elrond had let to that war against Sauron in the second age). The Elves of Eregion had lived in close friendship with the Dwarves of Khazad-dum. And Thorin was the descendant of the Kings of that dwarves.
With the kingdoms of the Elves east of the misty mountains thinks were very different. Their lords and leaders were of sindarin race and had come out of Doriath. So they had experienced or inherited the mistrust against dwarves in general that was the result of the dealing of Thingol with the dwarves of Nogorod and the following attack upon Doriath that led to the death of Thingol.

Regrads
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:46 AM   #6
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Don't forget that the fact that Gandalf was with them must have had an effect as well.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:16 PM   #7
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Also, the times wern't as troubled then.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:33 PM   #8
osszie
Elven Warrior

At this time many dwarves were "homeless wanderers" and as a race had been through many hardships..... compassion of course will win through prejudice, especially amongst the wise
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 PM   #9
Draken
Elf Lord

I agree with the point that this is a book much more intended for young children, who might find the idea of shades of loyalty and friendship between the "goodies" confusing.

Also yes, it was the Sindar elves that had most cause to dislike dwarves. And let's not forget that Elrond had seen Men fighting for Sauron in his time yet still welcomed Men to Rivendell.

And finally, the dwarves were indeed a dwindling remnant of their former selves, more so even than the elves. And their last major undertaking, the war with the orcs, no doubt earned them respect from even the most skeptical elf.

So I suppose I'm agreeing with all the above!

Oh and hi osszie, nice to meet a fellow Durham-er!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:34 PM   #10
osszie
Elven Warrior

"Dwarves don't get on with them (elves). Even decent enough dwarves like Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think), or get annoyed with them. For some elves tease them and laugh at them, and most of all at their beards".

Think this sums up Tolkiens animosity in of the races in the hobbit very well. Of curse there is tension, but this being a story for children, he descibes it as such.

Whey hey!!! The Durham lads are here!!!

osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:53 PM   #11
Draken
Elf Lord

Haway osszie man!

Yep that sums it up very well I think.

Almost worth a pint in the Hogshead!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:16 PM   #12
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Well now. Thraindul (the Elven King) has a lot in common with Thingol. They both live in a cave, and lead "wood-elves"

If I'm not mistaken, however, Thingol preceeded Thraindul in conceptualization, but not publishing. Thraindul's dislike of dwarves can probably be at least partly attributed to the fact that his predecessor (both conceptually and in the integrated history) was killed by dwarves. Furthermore dwarves from the cities in Ered Luin, which is coincidentally where Thorin and Co. went into exile after the loss of the Kingdom Under the Mountain.

Rivendell on the otherhand, was founded after Sauron's near succesful attack during the second age, when he over ran Hollin. There were a lot of survivors from Hollin.

You remember Hollin right? That elf kingdom where they were so freindly with the dwarves of the dwarrowdelf? Durin's people in fact, which coincidentally (again) Thorin happened to be the eldest heir of?

Well well, isn't that odd how it all worked out?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #13
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #14
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

Honestly, I think that Elrond was just trying to be nice. I don't think that Elrond was really that kind of elf. I think that he just wanted to make a statement maybe, that all elves are not the same. I mean, ya didn't see anyone saying that they didn't want to go there. In fact they were all happy to be on their way there. But, it was kind of set up as a children's story. Maybe to ease a newcommer into Middle Earth without addressing all it's problems' at once.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:48 AM   #15
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I think that Elrond welcomed the Dwarves because he knew what there quest was and he wanted to help them achieve it. In "The Quest of Eerebor" in Unfinished Tales, it talks about how Gandalf knew Sauron was rising again and he was worried about what would happen if Sauron met up with Smaug and stuff like that (sorry, I can't remember it exactly) and that's why he helped the Dwarves on their adventure to destroy Smaug. I think that was basiclly Elrond's goal also.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:12 PM   #16
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

Well, too, there were dwarves and then there were Dwarves -- Thorin was held to be king of Durin's folk, even in exile, and some of his companions (Ori, Nori and Dori certainly, and Balin, Dwalin, Óin and Glóin too, if I read the family tree in Appendix A of LOTR correctly) were also of the line of Durin. Elrond would be guilty of lese majesty (? spelling) if he gave them the cold shoulder, but as you pointed out, he wasn't that kind of elf anyway.

But in any case Elrond showed Thorin a great honor by not making a fuss over Thorin's possession of Orcrist, a "famous blade" in Gondolin - as Turgon's great-grandson, Elrond could certainly have gotten pretty snitty over it. But he was wise, and "kind as summer," as Bilbo (I think) put it.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:41 PM   #17
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

also, after The Hobbit, Balin and his folks went to Moria. They "delved too deep" as Saruman said. And between the Hobbit and Lotr, remember what they awoke "in the darkness of Khazadum." THe elves may have been a little ticked at them for that. ANd that may have stirred in their minds, refreshing their uncomfortable feelings regarding dwarves

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:14 PM   #18
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Err, the Dwarrowdelf succumbed to the Balrog long before the quest of Erebor.

Reference the Battle of Azanulbizar, in which Dáin Ironfoot slays Azog on the steps of Moria, only to withdraw from the gate.

He has seen the Balrog.

The Balrog was awakened by the miners of Durin VI, who was probably killed by the Balrog (Durin's Bane) shortly thereafter. Since Durin VI died in 1980 of the Third age, it's probably safe to say the 'rog wasn't awakened by Balin's expidition.

Though it might have been a little Irked by it.

If any elves were upset by anyone awakening the Balrog, it would have been with Durin VI, who woke it up a nearly 1000 years before Balin's attempt at recolonization in 2989

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 08-14-2002 at 04:16 PM.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote