Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
easterlinge

Aragorn the Ranger

After reading LOTR yet again, I finally thought it odd that Strider walks from Bree to Rivendell practically unarmed except for the Sword that was Broken. Is this standard Ranger practice? Or was he sort of working undercover (but Barliman still knew he was a Ranger)?

Where do the Rangers hide out?
Old 03-20-2001, 03:09 AM   #2
biriwilg

Re: Aragorn the Ranger

They hide out in the North, right?
Old 03-20-2001, 05:27 AM   #3
Inoldonil

They spend alot of time in Rivendell (they are infact raised there), but their natural abodes are in the Angle (the area between the Bruinen, Mitheithel and the East-West Road). I don't have any sources for that, M. Martinez once said he thought it was in the Minhiriath, but was shone by someone that it was in the Angle.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:35 AM   #4
easterlinge

Michael hasn't posted here in some time. Did we (I ?) offend him?

I wonder how King Elessar plans to rebuild the North. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2001, 12:11 AM   #5
anduin

MM......

Maybe not here in this forum, but he does in LOTR Books and Movies....
Old 03-21-2001, 12:49 AM   #6
Inoldonil

Re: MM......

He's also on several other forums, or leastways presumably he still posts on the official E! Online LOTR newsboard, and he's posted very recently on the Middle-earth Online Developer's Board. He's just busy I guess and like all of us doesn't have something to say all the time. But hasn't he posted recently here? I always visit all the ME Entmoot boards, so I haven't noticed.
Old 03-25-2001, 03:24 PM   #7
Grand Admiral Reese

It probably wasn't his usual practice to go around unarmed or with a 6000 year old broken sword. He probably had another sword that he used for most journeys(although he probably prefered to avoid trouble than go looking for it). It was just that it was time for Narsil to be reforged.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:33 AM   #8
Spock1

It seems that the Rangers had a reputation in Middle Earth as those not to be trifeled with. Much like the Texas Rangers. It would be logical that the aire of legend hung heavy on those chosen and only in need would a weapon be used; albeit just hands and staff.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:57 AM   #9
easterlinge

That would be harder to explain in the Movie coming up... Aragorn gives 3 blades to the Hobbits and keeps just a Broken Sword to himself...

"Walker: Texas Ranger". Rather corny, I think. But still, better than Baywatch Nights and Days of Our Lives...

Which is tougher, Aragorn's Northern Rangers, or Faramir's Rangers of Ithilien? A contest between the two sets of Rangers should be interesting.
Old 03-31-2001, 06:17 AM   #10
Michael Martinez

I don't think Aragorn always went around unarmed. He certainly couldn't have used the Sword that was Broken when he led the raid against Umbar. I believe that the journey he undertook in the Spring of 3018 was to acquire the shards of Narsil from wherever he had them stored (probably with his people) and that he returned to the Shire believing he would meet with Gandalf. When he learned the Wizard was missing, he had to improvise, and he ended up lying under a bush on the East-West road outside of Bree.

As for why I seemed to disappear, I got sick back in December, and by the time I went to see a doctor I had pretty much wasted two weeks. It was another two weeks before I was well enough to do stuff again, so by the middle of January I had a huge backlog of projects to deal with and darned little time for discussion forums.

By mid-February I was mostly caught up and starting to get back into the discussions, and then the advetising network we used on Xenite.Org announced they were dropping all their affiliates by the middle of March. So I suddenly found myself having to redesign thousands of pages of content on Xenite.Org. On top of that I had to prepare for a trip to Atlanta early this month, and that took a week out of my schedule.

So, to make a long story longer, it's been a rough year so far. I've tried to stay in touch with familiar haunts but just haven't had time for discussions like I used to. No one here has done anything to offend me.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:45 AM   #11
anduin

Hey Spock...how is it that your personal pic seems to have a different placement than other's personal pics??
Old 03-31-2001, 08:55 PM   #12
Idril Celebrindal

he probaly put the url into his personal icon space...
Old 04-03-2001, 07:41 AM   #13
easterlinge

I thought the Heirs of Isildur stashed away the Sword in Rivendell, with other relics.