Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-11-2000, 01:48 AM   #1
Bullroarer

I GOT THE SILMARILLION!!!!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

:rollin: g

Not that you care or anything...........

What am I in for? Whatzit 'bout?
Old 07-11-2000, 02:24 AM   #2
Lillian C

Re: I GOT THE SILMARILLION!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you're so excited! Since that 'woohoo' was so long, I must assume that you got the new, hard-back, illustrated version.

I like The Silmarillion a lot. I confess, it had to grow on me. I wasn't instantaneously addicted to it as I was to LotR, but now I love it just as much! Let us know how you like it, and whether you agree with me that Finrod is the coolest character. (Hehehehe...)
Old 07-11-2000, 11:08 AM   #3
Bullroarer

Right now I am on........

Nah, I got the paperback. Still, it is the Silmarillion. I stopped on Chapter 4 last night. Chapter? I have never called 2 pages a chapter in my life.
Old 07-11-2000, 05:34 PM   #4
Finduilas

Re: Right now I am on........

Some of the chapters are a little short, and yes this is one of the slower reads, but I agree that it is definitely a favourite book. (I have 2 copies of it, 3 of the Hobbit, and 4 of the LOTR)
Old 07-11-2000, 07:55 PM   #5
Darth Tater

Finduilas, how about giving me some? My paperbacks are falling appart

The Sil is awesome, but I couldn't finish it the first time I tried. I was 11 I think, and I guess I wasn't ready for it, it is a complicated book but once you're ready for it it's awesome! Just look at me in this forum! Notice who all the latest replies are by?
Old 07-12-2000, 05:46 AM   #6
juntel

If any of you is interested, I found an html version of the Sil on some newsgroup...
Old 07-12-2000, 04:59 PM   #7
Finduilas

Sorry, no go. I keep one set by the computer (including all of the HoME books) for finding quotes (3 Tolkien message boards, and one mailing list) and the other (H, Silm and LOTR) in my room for reading)
Try your local used bookstore (the ones around here usually have at least one copy of the main books)
Old 07-12-2000, 05:31 PM   #8
etherealunicorn

Hehehe,
You sound like me, Finduilas. I can't bear to get rid of my old ratty, no-cover, folded-pages, utterly sad paperbacks because then all the little notes I have made to myself would be gone. And since I have had these old books for so long, I know about where things are in them so I can find quotes and references.
Book exchanges and used book stores are good places to try and usually very inexpensive. Also try your local library, since they often sell old paperbacks. Thrift stores also have pretty good book sections
Old 07-14-2000, 01:13 AM   #9
Darth Tater

Hard to find Tolkien books around here actually. Pitifull Boston. A center of the artistic world? Yeah right.
I'll never get rid of my old ratty LOTR despite the fact that the last page is missing from Fellowship and ROTK as well as most of the covers and bindings and the sorta blank pages that don't really matter at the beginnings. The Hobbit's in bad shape too, which is why I need hardbacks
Old 07-14-2000, 06:19 PM   #10
Finduilas

I know that feeling. I got the hardcover illustrated version of the LOTR because I wore out one paperback set and my current reading copy of the TT is probably not going to last much longer. My copies of the Silm and Hobbit are in better condition (from which you can tell the ones I read the most)
Old 07-18-2000, 02:28 AM   #11
Mresone

Gosh guys, don't they have Waldenbooks or Bookstop where you live?

Have yet to walk into either of these chains and *not* see at least one copy of LOTR, the Silmarillion, *and* unfinished tales. Give em a shot if you are lookin for a new copy.
Old 07-18-2000, 10:37 PM   #12
Darth Tater

I think there's a Waldenbooks somewhere around here, I'll check it out.
Old 07-19-2000, 04:13 AM   #13
Mresone

Just a bit of an update...

About a year ago I had to move, and due to space considerations, I had to leave a lot of stuff behind, including most of my books. My entire Tolkien collection was unfortunately left behind. So, spurred on by my finding this board, I stopped after work today at the local Book-Stop. If you have one of these stores near where you live, I highly recommend it. The one in Mesquite, TX has at least 2 different editions of The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales. They also had multiple copies of the Book of Lost Tales, 1 & 2, Farmer Giles of Ham (the only Tolkien book I can't get through ), and books by other authors on Tolkien's work, all for as little as $6.00 per copy. Happy Hunting
Old 07-21-2000, 07:55 PM   #14
Stiegl

One suggestion I have when reading the Simlmarillion is to get a copy of the Atlas of Middle Earth (you can order it from Amazon or Barnes and Noble). The first time I read the Sil, I tended to get lost in all of the names and places and had a hard time keeping everything in order. Some years later while I was reading it again, I picked up a copy of the Atlas and it made all of the difference. It's a great reference to sort out some details and helped me to better visualize what was taking place.
Old 07-25-2000, 06:47 PM   #15
Niffiwan

yes... so did I...
Especially that chapter "Of Beleriand and Its Realms". It took me several days to get through that; it was just so boring to me since I didn't have a notion of what it was talking about; I couldn't find most of the place names on the map at the back of the book. However, I managed to get through the Sil on my first try... wait a sec! I just realised; I never read "Of the Rings of Power and The Third Age"! I'll read it as soon as I'm finished reading the "Dark Is Rising" pentalogy...
as for the conditions of my books... all of them except The Hobbit have the edges worn out (I read them by putting the edges on a surface and opening the book). That was before I realised that I have to put tape on the bottom and top or the edges so that they don't wear out... BTW, if you're kind of confused as to which edges I mean....
................/////|..........
.............../////.|..........
............../////..|..........
............./////...|..........
............/////....|..........
...........|....|....|..........
...........|....|.../...........
...........|....|../............
...........|....|./.............
...........|__|/..............

I mean the 4 edges closest to you in the picture; the ones along the side of the book...
Anyway, the Sil is actually the most battered. The Hobbit isn't because I put tape along the side edges so that they wouldn't wear away. I also put tape along the sides, to ensure that it can't get damaged; the only way it can get damaged now is through the center.
Old 07-25-2000, 11:13 PM   #16
Darth Tater

Atlas of Middle Earth: baa, heresy!!! Evil evil heresy! (quite inaccurate too)
Old 07-28-2000, 07:47 PM   #17
noldo

Yayyyy!!! THat's nice. I just got the Silmarillion too! Well, actually my little brother got it but since he hasn't read it and isn't intending to either, I'm going to keep it. Hide that book somewhere... The Silmarillion... It's mine!!! Mine!!!

In Finland, we haven't had copies of that book in years.
Old 08-25-2000, 12:11 AM   #18
Grand Admiral Reese

I got the Silmarillion a few weeks back(22 days ago I think)and just finished it tonight(I read a few other books before it). A great read. I loved it! I'm not sure if I'll read it first when I reread the Middle-earth books I have, or last again. But whichever it is, I'll still love it.
Old 09-17-2000, 07:54 PM   #19
Glaurung the Whatchamadinky

I recently learned that my dad has an honest-to-god first edition of the Silmarillion... anyone got any idea how much it's worth, I'd like to find out...
Old 09-18-2000, 02:39 AM   #20
Shanamir Duntak

Pricele$$...