Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2003, 06:41 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Americanization of Harry Potter = BAD

This goes beyond just the whole "Philosopher's Stone"/"Sorceror's Stone" thing, though that's part of it.

The changes in the American editions are in fact more pervasive and numerous than most people recognize. There are a lot of edits in the text not made by J.K. Rowling that attempt to "Americanize" the books for American readers, and a lot of them are kept under the covers so that people hardly notice.

In terms of the integrity of J.K. Rowling's use of the English language, and her distinct writing style, I think even such minor, subtle changes are a big problem, because culturally they are not representative of the author's intentions for the world she created.

Instead of Americanizing the books to make them appeal to readers, they should be left intact and untouched to draw readers into the quirks of British culture - because that's what literature is fundamentally about: being exposed to new ideas through storytelling.

It's times like this that I'm proud to be in Canada where I can get the real, original British text. I urge the American readers out there to get a hold of the right editions whenever possible, as difficult as it is.

For lists of changes to the text, try this site.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Go Canada, Go Canada, YAY!!!

I never knew that they made changes for Americans.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:18 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Man, it drives me nuts that people are too dumb too realise that philosophy was the early branch of science. There's nothing magical about alchemy for crap's sake!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I can't believe they thought it was necessary to make so many changes. Do they really think Americans are so culturally insular that they won't read a book where it says "biscuits" instead of "cookies"? If I were American, I would feel quite insulted. I'm really glad British publishers don't "translate" American books in the same way (as far as I'm aware) because I find them the best way of finding out about the American way of life and language differences. It's far more interesting to learn stuff like that, IMO
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

I am American, and I do feel quite insulted. However I only read the British Harry Potter, so it doesn't bother me. (Thank Eru for Amazon!)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well, a few are obviusly needed ie: football/soccerball, crisps/chips
just because americans have different names for somethings.

all in all the plot doesn't seem affected, so i don't really care, i get enough brit/aussie/NZ/ canadian speak from you people
Old 03-24-2003, 01:47 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"well, a few are obviusly needed ie: football/soccerball, crisps/chips
just because americans have different names for somethings."
I say that's all the more reason it should be left alone. They're not needed. You don't see American editions of Charles Dickens, or British editions of Mark Twain.

(Let's not even go into what an Americanized Lord of the Rings would be like.)

This is done solely out of commercial purposes - and unjustified ones, at that. Rowling made the "Sorceror's Stone" concession to get the contract for the first book, and regretted it ever since - and that just got the ball rolling on a very bad precedent of edited American versions.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:04 AM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
(Let's not even go into what an Americanized Lord of the Rings would be like.)

JK Rowling does have some problems with her verb form (present perfect, whatnot, bla de bla), and I think I might find that irritating in the British version, but so do other reknowned authors. And what's with adding the black student, or whatnot? That's odd.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:15 AM   #9
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish

JK Rowling does have some problems with her verb form (present perfect, whatnot, bla de bla), and I think I might find that irritating in the British version, but so do other reknowned authors. And what's with adding the black student, or whatnot? That's odd.
Do you have any examples? You have to remember that the Americanised way of speaking / writing also includes changes to verbs etc (for example the word "gotten" as used as past perfect tense only exists in the American English (according to the Oxford Dictionary) - in SA & British English it is get got got).

Americanising the works does nothing to enhance them for a new audience, to me it rather detracts from them as they no longer represent the culture of the people who they are about. Harry & the crowd are British, as such the colloquialisms and references used serve to enhance the authenticity.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Americanisation of anything is bad, even if it's Harry Potter. Not to say that America is bad (though I do prefer English spelling ), but Americanisation destroys the flavour of a work, IMO. Not good at all.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:41 AM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I don't really see the point ... it's not like we don't understand British English. It's just so, I don't know, senseless.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:43 PM   #12
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

What shocks me more is that it was the American editors who suggested to make the changes. They were underestimating the people from their own country! That's something I really don't understand. For example, I live in Argentina, and books (even children books) that come from, say, Spain, aren't changed to "our" Spanish.

And it really bothers me that they changed the title. Small things like jumper/sweater and such I can accept, but the Philosopher's Stone isn't an invention of Mrs. Rowling- it's a real legend. I read that the editors changed it to "Sorcerer's Stone" so the children could have a better idea of what it was about. So they:

1) Assumed NO children in the US had heard about the Philosopher's Stone

2) Took from them the opportunity to actually learn what it was.

Why, oh, why did they do that?
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:55 PM   #13
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
In my school, we talk with American grammer, we some times even get a detention for it! (Been there myself,)
To our English Doctors and Professors it is just plain wrong grammer.

Anyway, back to Harry Potter...I have not read the American version but have heard a lot about it, Somethings obviosusly need changing, sidewalk/path, jam/jelly. All that lot.
I havn't really much more to say on this topic, as I have not read that version.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I say that's all the more reason it should be left alone. They're not needed. You don't see American editions of Charles Dickens, or British editions of Mark Twain.
I agree, there is a whole universe of differing cultures to be learned from books.

One thing that is as sure as mustard, if a kid doesn't know something he/she will ask (good thing)..........I've learned that kids are very good at asking questions (better thing).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:49 AM   #15
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurus Nobilis
1) Assumed NO children in the US had heard about the Philosopher's Stone
They vastly underestimated us when they did that. I was 8 when I read the first book, and I knew what the Philosopher's Stone is!

Also, when they did that, they robbed the first HP book of it's connection with mythology, inventing a new name for an incredibly old idea.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:05 AM   #16
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Yes. Agreement here.

I really enjoy British words myself--I find them more interesting than mine, whether they are, or whether they're just new. But honestly, adults should know these things, like simple words--football, biscuit, etc. And many kids know them, and if they don't, they ask. Really.
I read a comment--maybe from JK, can't remember--that "jumper" to "sweater" was a must because they didn't want to give the impression that all the boys wore dresses. (I think it would be interesting...)

tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
I read a comment--maybe from JK, can't remember--that "jumper" to "sweater" was a must because they didn't want to give the impression that all the boys wore dresses. (I think it would be interesting...)
So is a "jumper" a kind of dress in America?
Old 04-02-2003, 07:38 PM   #18
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

In America "jumper" refers to, I think, the kind of sleevless dress you put on over a shirt.

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 04-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #19
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
In America "jumper" refers to, I think, the kind of sleevless dress you put on over a shirt.
Thanks! Looks like I'm the one who needs to learn about the other side of the Atlantic... but I am getting there
Old 04-03-2003, 09:45 PM   #20
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I just really enjoy British words over American ones, most of the time. Probably because they're new to me.

(Noticed your sig, sun-star: YEAH! Another Bard lover! )

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....