Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Discussion Thread no 6 of Nazgul-Kings.

Today is my last day on the Moot, so the last thing I can do is to leave a place where our once happy and close-knit group can interact.

Perhaps some wisdom can be reached, who knows.

And what I try to tell: don't hurt other people feelings.

I know, I am not too good at it myself. Sure I am not. But almost everything can be settled, can't it?

Just remember - people react differently. (Thanks, Rian for your time to explain it to me. I got it.) And if some may quarrel to death and then forget it the next day in the Teacup caffee, the others are far less tolerant. Some may treaten to leave a dozen times and then remain, the others leave once and for all.

And leaving people take away quite a lot, more than you can imagine. When Rian left, I missed her terribly though we never have been buddies. Now there are so many to miss it just hurts too much.

Perhaps if there were groups of people who started to feel uncomfortable together, it would have been better to split the game than to quarrel and quarrel and to crush it?

Sane, I am not accusing you personally, but you have contributed. Some others too. I have, myself, Morgoth forgive me. And I am so sorry.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Crazy Squirrel, can I just ask you, please, please think about not leaving the whole entire moot, please. Remember Fellowship? That still exists, and all of us said we'd never let it die just because Of Wraiths started up, remember? But we did, and I think we ought to think about bringing it back to life, and TD does, too. I am begging you, Crazy Squirrel, and I do hate to either A. beg, or B. apologise, but I will do both, just please, do not leave the entire moot. If it might feel better too rest it out for a week, or two, or whatever, I understand; that's what I feel like doing anyway. The ending of this RPG hurts way more than I imagined it ever would, and I, too, need to take a break from Entmoot for a bit, but I will not leave Entmoot entirely. Oh, please, just don't leave, Crazy Squirrel!! I wish Gordie were here so I could beg her not to leave, too. I think she said the same as you, that she'd leave the whole Entmoot. What is going ON! Please, all the stuff aside, just don't leave for good.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm reading all these posts but can't post back yet ... I'm just too sad and upset, and am not sure what to say ... I'll just say, for now, to CS - I so appreciated our discussion - it was difficult, but so good, and I thank you so much for PMing me and hanging in there through my awkward and not-too-talented attempts to express my thoughts and feelings. Your PM was one of the highlights of my experience here, because of the kindness behind it. The stories were great! fabulous! funny! sad! amazing! and everything else, but for me, they're nothing compared to the people behind them. And thru those PMs, I got to see some of who you are - and that's priceless. Thanks so much and I sincerely hope you don't leave Entmoot. I've seen some of your posts on other threads, and although I often disagree, I think they're intelligent and valuable contributions to the Entmoot community.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

You see, Lotesse, I have been here for the RPG. All the rest was just while waiting for someone to post, or waiting for a comment on my post. I will not stand the Moot without our game.

And I am also fed up. How many times did I say I wanted a fight in Tharbad? Serenoli said the same. Perhaps you did also, I don't remember anymore. And what? Nobody took heed of our wishes. As if we mattered less than nothing.
And I also took part in the original planning of the raid and wanted some fun from it for me and for others.

We have tried to discuss and to come to an agreement on this plotline -there was vivid discussion and Rian got hurt in the process (Sorry, Rian!) Val remained silent, as befits the High King he is.

No agreement was reached, the matter was in suspense. And then Sane and LMM played it exactly as THEY wanted - taking the fight far away from Tharbad, leaving our characters out, using supersonic horses, olfactory wonders etc, talking bird-messengers (what man in all the Tolkien's writings ever had a talking birdie? - even Gandalf the maia didn't have one, only Radagast and Saruman. Aragorn would have sold his soul to have one!). Well, why repeat, Udu has summarised it pretty well in his sarcastic post that has exasperated our Lady M so much..

Is it normal, you think?

When Gordis tried to reason, they called it "nitpicking" and disregarded it.
And it was a constant "Don't nitpick, lest Sane quits". Don't you think it was frustrating? Sure, Gor felt fed up and left. Especially after some "diplomatic" personal kicks that Lady M has edited since (not too proud of it, Lady M? ) - I have seen the original now and I know why people left.

And now I learn that they are the only ones to continue...

No, sorry, I am leaving.

So, all this was not your fault, not at all, Lotesse. I will miss you. and you, Rian.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I dont know if she is not proud of it. More like tired of being bitched at. And it wasnt smelling, which i found funny but actually sight. Oh screw this and the lot of you, this isnt worth my frustration. Good luck and goodbye.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

re the birds - just off the top of my head: Gandalf spoke to Gwaihir in LOTR, Thorondor spoke to Turgon in the Sil, and even in the Hobbit, certain people could talk to birds. And Viv had Lomi in our RPG, so what's the big deal with Maggie's bird messenger?

No one here is the big bad guy, we've all blown it in various ways.

Personally, I think we could all take a week or two off, cool down, and then come back - IF we agree to run major plots by the others like several have suggested. But maybe it's just better to have it die. Maybe the premise was just unworkable.

but I had such a good line all planned out for Rian! Lotesse, I bet you would have loved it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 02-24-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
Rían

ps - and you know what's really funny, CS, especially in the light of our discussions? I had that girl, who Serenoli later named Yerri, come out and give the basket of food to Tol, fully intending that he would blow her off and she would run away screaming, or he would tempt her somewhere and kill her or something. I did NOT provide her for Tol's romance - I provided her for cannon fodder for the Nazgul - and now Tol ends up marrying her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS
When Gordis tried to reason, they called it "nitpicking" and disregarded it.
And I think most, if not all, of the Nazgul side just couldn't see that we on the "good" side felt totally disregarded most of the time, too, when we tried to reason, like when we pointed out the very reasonable (in our opinion) point that the king would have information sources set up and would know about the pirate raid. And some on our side had personal, first-hand information on warfare and felt that their opinion was blown off. We felt TOTALLY disregarded by your side. So it's not a feeling that only one side had, and I think because of both sides feeling so disregarded, it just blew up.

Last edited by Rían : 02-24-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

No, I'm not proud of it. I'm never proud of losing my temper and I do try very hard to not offend other people because I know it never helps and I always feel like utter crap afterwards.

The post in question was never intended to be diplomatic. I was angry and obviously didn't restrain myself as well as I should have. My apologies for attempting to say what I felt needed to be said in a polite fashion. Had I desired this outcome I wouldn't have bothered.

I did enjoy writing with all of you. You are all talented writers and I really do wish that it hadn't ended the way it did.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-25-2006, 01:19 AM   #9
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

CS, I will miss you very much. But, I only see you on the rpg thread, so even if you don't leave Entmoot, I probably won't see you again. Same goes with Gordis. The Moot just won't be the same, for me as well. I do participate in other treads, but Wraiths was always the major thing, the reason why I log on everyday. It feels awful, but I think we can't continue, at least not after all the things that have been said. BTW, I agree with much of what CS has said, only I never wanted to say it.

And, no Sane, I can never write for my characters again, unless it is in Tharbad, and with the same cast of characters. There are too many characters here who make Tol and Jas what they are.

Rian, I know how you feel about not getting to finish Rian's story. I hope Rian gets Tyaron in the end? Oh, and thank you for Yerri! I couldn't very well kill her, cos of the furore caused by Melwen.

Well, there's nothing more to do or say. I've already said all the goodbyes that need to be said...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 02-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nope, I won't leave the Moot for good. Too addicted
Old 02-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
sun-star
Lady of Letters

It's a pity this is ending But thanks everyone for being so welcoming to me, even though I didn't get to post much. You're all really good writers and very nice people
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

THANK MORGOTH FOR THAT!!!! *Does a Snoopy dance - and Lotsy rarely dances!* What good news; something a little cheerful finally after the sadness of these last few days. I am SO glad you're staying at Entmoot, Gordis; you don't even KNOW how happy that makes me!!!! Now, to get Crazy Squirrel to stay...

edit - Yes, Sun-star, your contributions were fantastic. I loved how you wrote for Oreturion and the militarty intelligensia; wish you could've done more.

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-25-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Yes, sun-star, I feel so sorry that you and Serenoli have had so little time to play. Always liked your posts.
And thanks, Lotesse.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
It feels awful, but I think we can't continue, at least not after all the things that have been said.
Yeah, I think you're right - it was just wishful thinking

Anyway, I'm glad Gordis is staying, and hope CS will change her mind!
(please, CS - I've seen some of your posts on other threads, and they're very thoughtful and intelligent!)

Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #15
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

*sees BIG crashing wave of Doom approaching .... *

AHHH! Numenor cries a disembodied voice wailing on the Salty wind- break the Ban of (the Valar) of BB will thee??

What call ails you o'spirit of the past? rasp the bubbling voices of Ulmo's faithless froth maidens as they advance in whirling crashing spirals of mounting destruction and wrath...

"sorry ..what was that?"

Roaring ever closer with the lightning white sprays of lashing and clashing Torrents of rightoeus Ire sending splendid spray plumes crashing into the very heavens ....

we said: "What call ails you o'spirit of the past?"

"Can you speak up a bit - it's all these crashing waves of impending destruction ... they ARE a bit loud!"

The waves of destruction surged into an inpenetrable wall of liquid death - break thy own ban will thee? wailed the wind...

Just then BB remembered Boom and with a merry laugh flew high above the tumult.

.................................................. ............

To quote the other BB:
Not very good perhaps, but to the point!

(i've a nasty feeling it's nit a partucularly Accurate quote, but anyway Bilbo says somet' like that about his verse for Aragorn's all that is gold does not glitter)

So, I have had a PM from Earniel (and also Serenoli) in an alternate universe (btw thanks for coming to the funeral - Serenoli - i am looking forward to you tripping the light fantastic with the pantomime horse! - and you too Earniel - i am hoping the Rhino may allow us to play some real Buckaroo later! ) - telling me the game here had died ....

.............Intermission ….help yourself to ice-cream and popcorn etc while i yell a bit!! ..............................................

AAAAARRRHHH! my god the joys of dial-up!! ... Had forgotten what this is like - slow dial up on a dodgy old lap top in a rural area .... NOT fun!

................End of intermission ................................................

so - intrigued i have set up a ropy old internet connection on me dear dad's old lap top, here Up t'north ...

i have managed to skim some of the discussion thread - but this connection is slower than our erstwhile tortoise Champion and ropier than bumbledore's memory ... the last few posts on the rpg i read, and heh they are pretty damn good!

since this goddamn dial-up connection is so temperamental (kinda ironic that, heh? ) ... i haven't actually much to say, but this to CS:

CS:

Since you are leaving us, just wanted to say a goodbye and all the best! May your marrows grow onto wonderous green pastimes of massive marrowness!

AS one of the original crazy gang you will be much missed.

It is good to see that the game is not closed down, just merely a walking wounded .... it has been an incredible behemoth in terms of posts, commitment, members (and may i say, the quality of the players), sheer discussion posts (this is what the Sixth thousandth or so ...!!! - rapidly overtraking the teacup even!) ... a record for posting speed consistently over time surely, a record for number of views - what must be all in over 20,000 or something??? .... etc etc ...

but mainly, this has been an incredibly interesting, fun and generally of a very high quality, well written rpg - that has obviously been a part of all our Moot experiences.

Personally i find it good that our players cared so much about it. Any creative team with upto 14 writers will have the odd nod in the direction of disagreement...

we, perhaps, just decided that the nod might be better served with some Bohemian Rhaposdy and turned it occasionally into some communal in-car Wayne and garth style head-bangin' sessions ...

but there you go!

If yeh wanna be bored - go elsewhere - go read up on the latest drainage reports for 1999-2006 in Pittsburgh or something.

I took a break mainly from the moot in general, and therefore also the rpg (though of course the RPG was a factor in why i wanted to take a break / leave permanently)

But if i ever do return, i will have no compunctions at all about restarting this, even if Tharbad, and the red herring and the watch etc are populated by new players with new characters - Bumble, Constable BB, young Barli, Boom, the lascivious Doc, the watch dogs sleepy and snoozy, old widow whatsit, etc will carry on -

and i hope CS, you will consider, if there is an RPG here worth being in, then you will consider popping in and joining us in the future?

As Lotsy said, why not restart Fellowship?

Though i am sure it will do everyone good to take a break. It seemed from the little i read (and from when i left for a break at Christmas) to be getting far too serious for a game.

I too am glad you are staying on the Moot GOR.

Serenoli - Jas certainly has a future as a character here - so don't be too down.

well gotta wrap this up ere this gaddamn connection crashes again -

Shah - i hope Bingo is still alive and in good health? .. and you did remember to give the watch dogs that odd tot o' rum in their milk now and then didn't you?

Willow / Lady M: heh, give us a smile! I don't know what you wrote - but you are usually a very nice person, so i AM SURE it probably was meant diplomatically anyway??

Well - my two cents for what it is worth:

You gotta larf aint ya?

... it's only a game

Best to you All everyone of you.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Man, I sure do miss you, Butterbeer! Such a great nice surprise to see you pop your head in here again; you've been missed!

Old 02-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #17
Rían

BB! Nice to see you!! I hope all is well with you Hope to see you around the Moot! I think Tharbad is closed for business, though

Old 02-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Hey BB. Good to see you back.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Here is the last picture:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a337/Gor-Dis/0000.jpg

I was going to post it for Christmas, but I waited and waited for everyone to submit their character's pics. Now I post it as it is, though half of the characters are missing. But that doesn't matter now, I guess.

Looks like a memorial now.

Hi, BB, nice to hear from you.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #20
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, Gordis, that's beautiful.That's really beautiful. You were always so incredibly thoughtful and creative with all the pics and maps here. It is so hard to see our story end so abruptly, too damn sad for words. That does look like a memorial, Gordis. Thank you for making us a beautiful poster; it's the bomb. I wish to Morgoth that our RPG didn'y have to have ended like this, damn damn damn. I miss everyone already, like I never thought I would. I miss getting to look forward, every day, to a new development in Tharbad, or think up new things to put my characters through, and play with all you guys. I miss you all so much already.

Closed Thread