Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2002, 11:33 AM   #41
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
But I guess it's just that the writing style is hard for me to enjoy -- it feels like I'm reading a history book (which I am, really) rather than a story as in TLotR or The Hobbit, Farmer Giles, etc., all of which I whip through every time.
That, and the Elves don't act very much like they do in LotR or Hobbit...they're either much more ethereal (like the Vanyar) or feisty (like the Noldor). It's just so darned big, too.

You know what helps? I found this out accidentally by trying the summarize how Cirdan got to the Havens of Mithlond for an Entmoot post in another thread: take a character, preferably one of the minor ones or one who continues on into the LotR or Hobbit, and write his or her story out. You'll be surprised at how the tale comes alive after that.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 07:02 PM   #42
azalea
Long lost mooter

That's a good idea because, quite frankly, it's very hard for me to keep up with all of the characters. I think I'll do that when I read it again, so that I can have a better understanding of the thing as a whole.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:52 PM   #43
katya
Elven Maiden

I also want to agree on not skipping the valaquenta and the other one. the valaquenta especially helped me to know who exactly these people were instead of just reading a name and being like "oh look, yet another name i dont know about".
I am reading the silmarillion for the first time also and i am on about chapter 6 or 7. its really hard so i take my timeadn read most chapters twice. i think i have a pretty good understanding so far. once you grasp stuff its a nice book. nobody ought to give up on it unless maybe they are saving it for later... ok maybe thats not so good either unless you are way too young.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:43 PM   #44
entss89
lord of the ents

he he im almost finished! i did not understand a word of anything but im almost FINISHED! so lets see here if i can finish it in a week . maybe. lets do a countdown of how many days i have left starting today.

7 more days till i have to finish my book...................................

p.s. this is corny but hey its something to do!ha ha
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:18 PM   #45
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
am on about chapter 6 or 7. its really hard so i take my timeadn read most chapters twice
Chapter 5 just about blew me away the first few times I read it: all those names, not just of Eldar but place names and Valar and their assistants. You feel it's all going to be equally important and you try to pay attention to it all, and pretty soon you find yourself not in Arda at all, but sitting there making up a grocery list or something. It's a chapter to go back to later on rather than struggle through now.

Chapter 6 is pretty good -- if you're in it now, then in view of what is coming up, concentrate on Feanor (I like his name: he had a fana like the sun ), on Finwe, and on the distance between Feanor and his two half-brothers, Fingolfin and Finarfin, which will become very important in the next chapter.

If only King Finwe had put the wellbeing of his people ahead of that of his own family . . . .

Chapter 7 is where it starts turning into a story, once Melkor is back on the scene, walking around pretending to be a good guy and secretly getting the Noldor all fired up. Add in a fiery Feanor and three jewels with the very light of heaven locked inside them (the only light that will soon be left, as you'll see in Chapter 8), and you've got a mix even Manwe can't handle.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:31 AM   #46
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah I pretty much have Finwe and his sons and their sons (to an extent) clear. Now that i am more motivated I think I can finish soon. It seems somehow easier as I go along.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #47
entss89
lord of the ents

yes i am learning how this book operats! im almost finished i think there will be no more problems anymore its getting very easy now!

P.s. yes its almost finished and only 6 more days!
Old 10-24-2002, 08:23 PM   #48
entss89
lord of the ents

i have finished yes i rule the world i have the most power in the world! all shale love me and despare! i have the one ring of the sil. and no one can take thy power away! i now understand what the whole book was about like the beggining of the world practically! now you may bow down! thanxs for your surport and now someone may close this thread, thanks you all!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:24 PM   #49
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

*Stands and applauds Entss89* I knew you could do it! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY Entss!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:30 AM   #50
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Congrats entss89! Biiiig applaude!
Old 10-25-2002, 05:33 AM   #51
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Congrats entss89. Now you can start on HoME.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:58 AM   #52
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Congrats entss89!! *cheers loudly & throws ent-shaped confetti*

And I think that you should be promoted to entss90 in honor of the occasion!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #53
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I could do with a bit of support myself!!!

I've never read the Silmarillion because I thought it woulnt have much to do with LotR!
How wrong was I!!!!
Yesterday I bought a version and I am going to try reading it for the 1st time!!!
I have been looking through this forum and it does look quite complicated and hard (I guess) to read so I could do with some support!!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:35 PM   #54
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Think of it this way-once you read the sil. everything in the book has depth, and thus more signifigance. It enhances the experience.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Go Blackboar Go! Rah rah rah!!

Stick with it, it's great!

And I just found The Lays of Beleriand for $7 at a discount bookstore - now I have 3 of the HoME series! I've only read a few pages, but what beautiful writing it is!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:40 AM   #56
Blackboar

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
ThankS!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:57 AM   #57
Blackboar

Is it like a bible

As I havn't actually started yet, I'm just wondering is The Silmarillion basically like a bible for Middle Earth!
Old 12-23-2002, 11:22 AM   #58
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Something like that, yes
Old 12-23-2002, 12:29 PM   #59
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Is it like a bible

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
As I havn't actually started yet, I'm just wondering is The Silmarillion basically like a bible for Middle Earth!
The Silmarillion is like a history book. It relays the accounts of the Elder Days, the First and Second Ages. The creation of the world, the awakening of Elves and Men, the making of the Silmarils, the Exile of the Noldor, the rising of the sun and moon and the events of Elves and Men in Middle-earth and their struggle against Morgoth who is the Dark Lord. The voyage of Earedil, and the Fall of Numenor, just to give you an idea.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:36 PM   #60
Blackboar

Thank you

That helps me understand what it is about alot better