Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #41
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
they're always rough on movie horses, its because of the way they train the horses to do falls and stuff, and it really makes em hard-mouthed.
yes i know that it makes them hard-mouthed but still didnot have to yank THAT hard. same in western movies they train 'em to do stunts and falls and stuff it just looks more hard than it was in real life

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #42
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yeah, you couldn't pay me to take one of those movie horses.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #43
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
yeah, you couldn't pay me to take one of those movie horses.
couldnot pay you anything awwww poor sport lol jk.

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 11-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #44
Witch King of Angmar
Sapling

I thought the Balrog looked really cool
Witch King of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #45
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch King of Angmar
I thought the Balrog looked really cool
the balrog in my opinion wasn't dead on in the book but he was well done

Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #46
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Faramir's failing to be his chivalrous self is another point of contentiousness.

In the book he says that he wouldn't pick it up, that is the Ring, if it lay by the roadside. But in the movie he falls way short of the book-self.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #47
rohirrim TR

yeah the way they messed up faramir kind of bugged especially since he was one of my favs from the books. but i got over that a long time ago
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #48
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
yeah the way they messed up faramir kind of bugged especially since he was one of my favs from the books. but i got over that a long time ago
faramir was good i thought but then again he was not all that i imagined he would be

Old 11-25-2005, 02:03 AM   #49
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I thought Gandalf, Boromir, Gimli, Éowyn, and Éomer were spot on. The Nazgul, Shelob, and the Balrog were all quite well done as well.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #50
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

what where the wargs actually supposed to look like? i mean i dont think they looked like what i had imagined from reading the book, but they were alright i guess

Old 12-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #51
rohirrim TR

wargs are just described as reallllllly big wolves, that have intelligence enough to talk with each other, -at least in the hobbit- in LOTR there wasn't actually wargs, but wolves right before the fellowship enters Moria.
Quote:
Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #52
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

But they made sense to be in the movie. I think they're mentioned as part of Saruman's army (in the books). Weta did a good job of making them look really dynamic and overall ugly.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #53
rohirrim TR

oh yeah, WETA's awesome.
the wargs were cool looking, but to me they didn't really look like wargs.
Quote:
Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #54
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

The Cave Troll!

J/K

Well, Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, Gollum, and Treebeard were all perfect, but that's pretty much it. Frodo was supposed to be blond, Boromir and Faramir were not supposed to be blond, Sam and the other hobbits were ok but just not exactly how I imagined them. Legolas, Arwen, and Eowyn were almost how I saw them, but Eomer and Theoden weren't. Grima was pretty close, but Saruman didn't have a robe of Many Colors, and just didn't fit my picture of him.

I don't mind these things being different, though. I think the filmmakers did an awesome job. I didn't really have much of a visualization for the Balrog, so I wasn't disappointed there. Same goes for Shelob. The wargs were just ridiculous--what's wrong with just really big wolves? Most of the orcs were amazing, except that Gothmog character. I didn't think much of him. The Fell Beasts were also perfect.

The worst characterizations, I felt, were Ghan-buri-ghan, Glorfindel, and Tom Bombadil. I was truly disappointed by their portrayal in the movie.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 AM   #55
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I never imagined Frodo with blond hair...

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #56
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor

The worst characterizations, I felt, were Ghan-buri-ghan, Glorfindel, and Tom Bombadil. I was truly disappointed by their portrayal in the movie.
Characterizations??? Portrayal??? don't you meant lack thereof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
I never imagined Frodo with blond hair...
When did he have blond hair? are we talking about LOTR or a different movie that also happens to have a main character named frodo? Improbablility factor perhaps?
Quote:
Old 12-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #57
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

werent the wargs suppose to show up before the fellowship goes into Moria? isn't they supposed to be showing up in that part??? i thought so but mabye i am actually wrong which in my case happens often. lmao...but i thought the wargs would look more fierce but thats ok

Old 12-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #58
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
When did he have blond hair? are we talking about LOTR or a different movie that also happens to have a main character named frodo? Improbablility factor perhaps?
Well Elanor thought he should have had blond hair in the movie, and I was just wonderering why. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course , I was just wondering why she thought Frodo should have blond hair, he looked fine to me.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #59
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Well Elanor thought he should have had blond hair in the movie, and I was just wonderering why. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course , I was just wondering why she thought Frodo should have blond hair, he looked fine to me.
ok, i missed elanor saying he was supposed to be blonde.
Quote:
Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #60
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Quote:
Well, it never uses the word "blond", but when Gandalf describes him to Barliman Butterbur he said Frodo is "fairer than most". Hobbits mostly have curly brown hair according to Tolkien, so I imagine Sam, Merry, and Pippin with a rich brown shade. Blond hair is rare, as we learn at the end of RotK when Elanor "the Fair" is born. Now, "fair" can mean simply "good-looking", but it can also mean blond or light-skinned. I thought "good-looking" was too subjective a term to really use in describing a friend to someone who's never seen him, so I figured that Gandalf was telling Barliman that Frodo had lighter hair than most hobbits--sandy blond or light brown. Of course many people will disagree with me, but this is why I've always pictured Frodo blond.

However, you could say that Elijah Wood is pretty fair -- he's quite good looking and has pale skin. And I thought he did a great job. He just didn't look the way I imagined Frodo.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote