Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #21
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

You know, I loved the movies and the actors but I gotta say, Gimli was the most believable of the non-humans. I found the Hobbits a bit of a disappointment; after all, pointy ears and furry feet (which we hardly ever saw) we got in Star Trek.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #22
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
well i think shadowfax was dead on what i imagined and galadriel too but NOT shelob...im terrified of spiders...i loved the black riders...i imagined them to be what they looked like in the movie except a few of the horses they were riding were brown but hey you cant be perfect all the time right?
yeah i though the brown horses were kind of funny too. i read somwhere that they got the galloping sounds wrong too, it was like four beats to a second and it should've been eight or something i watched those parts and they were kind of off.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #23
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
You know, I loved the movies and the actors but I gotta say, Gimli was the most believable of the non-humans. I found the Hobbits a bit of a disappointment; after all, pointy ears and furry feet (which we hardly ever saw) we got in Star Trek.
I agree Gimli owned!!
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #24
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the nazgul were definitely done well... and i liked the balrog (not really dead-on with the book, but well done)

the only two characters i didn't really like were galadriel and sam... galadriel just seemed a bit to whimpy for my taste... she was a very bold character in the books and i don't think that came across very well... and sam, while a good actor, didn't have the "likeable cheerfulness" you see in the book... i would have expected more smilies out of him in tough situations if he was more like the novel's sam

shelob was very good visually... though she kind of looked too much like a big tarrantula... it may have been a bit unrealistic, but i would have preferred a bit more characterization to her face... in the book she was very intelligent (we hear her thoughts), maybe even adding speech for her to represent this would have made her more of a character and less of just a monster met along the way
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #25
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
yeah i though the brown horses were kind of funny too. i read somwhere that they got the galloping sounds wrong too, it was like four beats to a second and it should've been eight or something i watched those parts and they were kind of off.
yes the gaits were kinda off alittle and in some parts weird but hey they try and thats what counts but yea the spider....i dunno about that one

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #26
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I'd actually only read The Hobbit when I watched the first movie. But, Gandalf (the Grey--White totally flopped, to put it mildly), Bilbo, and Gollum's voice, at least, were just how I pictured them.
After I read the books, Sam, Boromir, Gimli (in looks only) all matched almost perfectly with what I imagined. Actually, Sam is pretty darn perfect. In spite of all the changes that they made to the story, Sam's reactions to the different situations are still dead on character, IMHO (with the one exception of Frodo's "death" at the hands [stingers?] of Shelob).
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:19 AM   #27
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
What, Vulcans have hairy feet?

I always thought of Gollum as more frog-like, but I like what the movie did with it more.

Oh, Sauroman OWNED! Gandalf (when he was grey) was sweeeet.

In this movie I fell in LOVE with Wormtounge. I never knew how cool he was before they played him up in the movie.

Theoden was GOOD. So was all of the Rohan cast.

I HATED: Arwen, Legolas, most of the elves EXCEPT Galadriel who RULES ALL OF MIDDLE EARTH

yeah, Cate Blanchett rocks

Elrond was unexpected, but Hugo Weaving rocks at everything, from drag queen to elf lord
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I've mentioned this before:

In the book there was no sign of the excessive defeatism of Aragorn and Theoden, which was present in the Battle of Burg in the movie.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #29
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

I think it logically fits though. Aragorn wasn't really defeatist in the movie though...he was the one who said, "Your men have died defending this place! They still defend it!"
Theoden's defeatist attitude is realistic though. Think about it: you're trapped in a fortress, beseiged by about 10,000 fierce Uruk-Hai (give or take a few ). The odds don't look too good for you, do they? So I think you would have a right to be scared and not "optimistic" (i.e. overly hopeful to the point of total ignorance of reality). And that would really explain the "death or glory" charge planned by him, which appeared in the book and the movie.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #30
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
I think it logically fits though. Aragorn wasn't really defeatist in the movie though...he was the one who said, "Your men have died defending this place! They still defend it!"
Theoden's defeatist attitude is realistic though. Think about it: you're trapped in a fortress, beseiged by about 10,000 fierce Uruk-Hai (give or take a few ). The odds don't look too good for you, do they? So I think you would have a right to be scared and not "optimistic" (i.e. overly hopeful to the point of total ignorance of reality). And that would really explain the "death or glory" charge planned by him, which appeared in the book and the movie.
He wasn't overcome with defeatism in the book. He remained Kingly and above such human frailties.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #31
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt
What, Vulcans have hairy feet?

I always thought of Gollum as more frog-like, but I like what the movie did with it more.

Oh, Sauroman OWNED! Gandalf (when he was grey) was sweeeet.

In this movie I fell in LOVE with Wormtounge. I never knew how cool he was before they played him up in the movie.

Theoden was GOOD. So was all of the Rohan cast.

I HATED: Arwen, Legolas, most of the elves EXCEPT Galadriel who RULES ALL OF MIDDLE EARTH

yeah, Cate Blanchett rocks

Elrond was unexpected, but Hugo Weaving rocks at everything, from drag queen to elf lord
i dont think gollum was really well done in the movies...the voice was cool and how he thinks its just the way he looked...i think they could've done a little better on him. i liked the cast of Rohan that was well done..i must say i didnot really like sauroman in the movies though but thats my opinon

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #32
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Quote:
i dont think gollum was really well done in the movies...the voice was cool and how he thinks its just the way he looked...i think they could've done a little better on him. i liked the cast of Rohan that was well done..i must say i didnot really like sauroman in the movies though but thats my opinon

But it's CHRISTOPHER LEE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

you HAVE to like hiM!
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #33
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

The two charcters who wee played best IMO were Aragorn and Gandalf (especially when he was the Grey). Thy both had their faults as did all the charcters but I think that they were both cast and played excellently. I can't imagine anyone else playing Aragorn. Viggo just fitted in to the role so well. Ian Mckellen was just right for Gandalf. The part where he pulls his horse to a stop and looks over his shoulder was he perfect image for Gandalf.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #34
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt
But it's CHRISTOPHER LEE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

you HAVE to like hiM!
lol you dont necessarily have to like a character,i dont like sauroman and you do

Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #35
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
The two charcters who wee played best IMO were Aragorn and Gandalf (especially when he was the Grey). Thy both had their faults as did all the charcters but I think that they were both cast and played excellently. I can't imagine anyone else playing Aragorn. Viggo just fitted in to the role so well. Ian Mckellen was just right for Gandalf. The part where he pulls his horse to a stop and looks over his shoulder was he perfect image for Gandalf.
yes but think of how hard he ranked on the poor horses mouth!!! it musta hurt but i agree it was a perfect image of gandalf

Old 11-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #36
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gollum was an extremely difficult character to portray on film. The efforts made and the end results seem justified if only because of this, IMO.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #37
rohirrim TR

Quote:
yes but think of how hard he ranked on the poor horses mouth!!! it musta hurt but i agree it was a perfect image of gandalf
they're always rough on movie horses, its because of the way they train the horses to do falls and stuff, and it really makes em hard-mouthed.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #38
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

For me The orcs, Balrog, and Shelob were perfect. Eowyn, Faramir, Aragorn, Gandalf, Theoden, Boromir, and Pippen were right on. Sean Astin gave a wonderful performance as Sam, but he wasn't as chippy as in the book. With Eowyn, I was disapointed that PJ told us she was going to battle long before JRRT revieled she was in battle. Shadowfax was dead on. Beautiful horse. The Nazul and the Fell Beast, along with the Mumak where just like I imagined them: Intimidating. I pictured the Wargs as oversized wolves, but, to me anyway, they looked more like hyenas.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #39
rohirrim TR

yeah the wargs were kind of hyena-ish.
Quote:
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #40
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

But they rocked anyway
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote