Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #21
inked
Elf Lord

If I understand correctly, (and I think I do ) the Roman Catholic and Christian understanding is that procreation by humans (and by extension to the Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits) is CO-CREATION with God. It is a human participatory action in time and eternity with the Creator. So (and not only because I am an OB/GYN !), I would consider it the major form of human creativity.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #22
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Major (and only) form of human creativity, yes, but not on the scale of the creation of a whole sentient race.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #23
Blackheart
Elf Lord

If I recall correctly, it's said that Morgoth bred the dragons from worms. Though I can't remember where... possibly in LT or UT...

Now of course it doesn't means earthworms, Wyrm in old english is also applied to snakes. I'd say that snakes are probably the best guess.

Oh.. and as for wounding Glaurung, Azaghâl probably did the most damage up until Turin struck a deathblow.

He did it the same way, underneath, though he didn't have the benefit of a handy chasm to avoid being crushed...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:31 PM   #24
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Wow! What a weird thread!

Glaurung wasn't fully developed when Fingon sent him packing. Not just in terms of his natural armour i.e. scales, but also in terms of his relative size. The archers were therefore able to penetrate Glaurung quite easily, which also meant that they wouldn't have had to get too close to him either.

As Blackheart has mentioned (and i'm surprised that nobody else has commented on it), Azarghal and the Dwarves were very effective against the dragon during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

In fact if it wasn't for them, most of the remaining Noldor, especially the eastern force, would have been completely destroyed. So you can say that Azarghal did the most damage to Glaurung; for the Dwarves must have scuppered one of Morgoth's main plans/strategies.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #25
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
Wow! What a weird thread!
My sincerest apologies.

It's not my fault!

Quote:
As Blackheart has mentioned (and i'm surprised that nobody else has commented on it), Azarghal and the Dwarves were very effective against the dragon during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.
Eh... no, I'm not surprised that I missed that. The only things I remember about dwarves without really thinking are that they helped build Nargothrond and that they killed Thingol.

And, well... my attention tends to waver after the Gaurhoth...

Quote:
So you can say that Azarghal did the most damage to Glaurung; for the Dwarves must have scuppered one of Morgoth's main plans/strategies.
And yet I don't remember any hideous curse or spell being attempted on any Dwarf.

But then again, I don't think that the chief part of Glaurung's hatred was upon Turin. Simply opportunity.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:10 AM   #26
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
My sincerest apologies.

It's not my fault!

Eh... no, I'm not surprised that I missed that. The only things I remember about dwarves without really thinking are that they helped build Nargothrond and that they killed Thingol.

And, well... my attention tends to waver after the Gaurhoth...

And yet I don't remember any hideous curse or spell being attempted on any Dwarf.

But then again, I don't think that the chief part of Glaurung's hatred was upon Turin. Simply opportunity.
Heh, killing Thingol was based on provocation on his part. We... I mean the Dwarves are a great Race. If it wasn't for the Dwarves, Menegroth would never have become "the fairest dwelling of any king east of the Sea".

Well, for one thing, the Dwarves wore "great masks, hideous to look upon , which stood them in good stead against the flames of Glaurung" (or something like that.. Haven't got the book to hand). They are the "most redoubtable warriors of all speaking peoples" according to Tolkien (Peoples of ME, Of Dwarves and Men).
Old 12-15-2004, 01:22 PM   #27
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Are you sure those were masks?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 12-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #28
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Heh, killing Thingol was based on provocation on his part. We... I mean the Dwarves are a great Race. If it wasn't for the Dwarves, Menegroth would never have become "the fairest dwelling of any king east of the Sea".
You misunderstand me. I have nothing against the Dwarves for killing Thingol. I hate him.

Quote:
Well, for one thing, the Dwarves wore "great masks, hideous to look upon , which stood them in good stead against the flames of Glaurung" (or something like that.. Haven't got the book to hand). They are the "most redoubtable warriors of all speaking peoples" according to Tolkien (Peoples of ME, Of Dwarves and Men).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Are you sure those were masks?
They were masks. From the Silmarillion:

Quote:
...the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily than either Elves or Men, and it was their custom moreover to wear great masks in battle hideous to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons.
Nice paraphrasing, Durin1.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-15-2004, 03:20 PM   #29
Blackheart
Elf Lord

I think you missed the point of asking the dwarf if the hideous ugly masks were indeed masks......

Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #30
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

haha!

eh, yeah. Did miss that before...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-16-2004, 05:33 AM   #31
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Beauty is only skin deep!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:20 AM   #32
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Gollum

But.. ugly goes all the way to the bone....

Old 12-16-2004, 06:52 AM   #33
Durin1
Elven Warrior

You're a fine one to talk! How's your face after Fingolfin slashed it a few times?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM   #34
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Still limping from that one, are we?

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-17-2004, 12:54 PM   #35
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Hmmph.

Some guys look better with a little scar on their face...

Oh.. and I walk that way cause I'm Stiff....

Old 12-18-2004, 02:29 AM   #36
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Guess that's what happens when your slong goes to yer knees, huh?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #37
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I'm trying to study, Boppy! Study!

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-18-2004, 02:43 AM   #38
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh by all means, don't let cthulhu's slong distract you!
Old 12-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #39
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Which one... most of them go to my knees....

Old 12-25-2004, 10:44 AM   #40
Lenya
Elentári

Glaurung would have been better if he had wings. Then he would have rocked! I must admit, he has particular talent for messing up people's lives.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote