Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #221
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I liked Night Terrors. It reminded me of Sapphire & Steel.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #222
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Episode (6.11 The God Complex)

I thought the episode was not bad. The reason for the minotaur needing to feed is not given and it seems to be an unusual thing to feed on for survival.
The minotaur was the perfect monster for the hotel.

I liked the room for the Doctor. (#11)

The episode had a sense of tension/terror which I thought worked well, even if it did not make much sense.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #223
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r View Post
I thought the episode was not bad. The reason for the minotaur needing to feed is not given and it seems to be an unusual thing to feed on for survival.
The minotaur was the perfect monster for the hotel.

I liked the room for the Doctor. (#11)

The episode had a sense of tension/terror which I thought worked well, even if it did not make much sense.
i quite liked this episode - it had a sort of retro-monster feel to it. :P i like it that there are these ancient creatures around that we have very little information about... i think it adds to the whole series that there's a whole universe out there with things we can't even imagine, things so ancient and so different that we can't understand them.
and i guess we're just meeting the ones that make some kind of sense to us - there must be a lot we (and by we, i mean the people in the doctor who universe ) can't ever notice.

it would've been nice to have seen what was in the doctor's room, though... it feels like the writers are building up too many loose threads, and they don't really give us any answers (apart from river, but that was a fairly obvious thing, already last season). it would be much more rewarding to watch if the revelations came a bit more often and not all at once in a huge revelation episode. it's a new style that i'm not a huge fan of. well, at least i expect them to tell us what was in the doctor's room at some point! do you have any guesses? (i have a feeling he might've seen himself in there - maybe he's the one who kills himself in the future?)

the speed by which the doctor managed to convince amy that she shouldn't believe in him was pathetic. :P that was one of the main weaknesses in the episode, imo... but over all, i quite liked the episode; it was entertaining, clever and (hopefully) added something new to the characters.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #224
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
the speed by which the doctor managed to convince amy that she shouldn't believe in him was pathetic. :P that was one of the main weaknesses in the episode, imo... but over all, i quite liked the episode; it was entertaining, clever and (hopefully) added something new to the characters.

It would've been nice to have seen what was in the doctor's room, though...
I agree regarding speed of Amy's change of belief. It was rushed, but they did not have much time to change Amy's belief in the episode.

I think it was better not to show what was in the Doctor's room. I think it was best left to our imagination.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #225
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
It reminded me of Sapphire & Steel.
NOW you're talking!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #226
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
well, at least i expect them to tell us what was in the doctor's room at some point! do you have any guesses? (i have a feeling he might've seen himself in there - maybe he's the one who kills himself in the future?)
I thought River was supposed to kill him? That would make her a plausible candidate, but I kinda think he's not afraid of that. My money is on him seeing himself.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 AM   #227
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I thought River was supposed to kill him? That would make her a plausible candidate, but I kinda think he's not afraid of that. My money is on him seeing himself.
yeah, well, clearly after watching the latest episode, it's going to be river who kills him... but i was still happy speculating before i had seen that episode. :P

but yeah, i think he's seeing himself... i wonder if we're going to ever get to know.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #228
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
yeah, well, clearly after watching the latest episode, it's going to be river who kills him... but i was still happy speculating before i had seen that episode. :P

but yeah, i think he's seeing himself... i wonder if we're going to ever get to know.
Perhaps in another DRW Confidential or in a behind the scenes book.

If not, there is always our speculation.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #229
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Oh, I'm just catching up; still haven't seen the latest. But now I know there should be interesting stuff to look forward to!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 09-29-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #230
Nerdanel

Quote:
Oh, I'm just catching up; still haven't seen the latest. But now I know there should be interesting stuff to look forward to!
oops, sorry it's dangerous to read this thread if you're not all caught up...

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #231
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r View Post
Perhaps in another DRW Confidential or in a behind the scenes book.
The BBC have just announced that they're scrapping Doctor Who Confidential to cut costs.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #232
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I always thought they were pretty lame ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #233
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
The BBC have just announced that they're scrapping Doctor Who Confidential to cut costs.
Doctor Who Confidential were nice, but not needed IMO. If cutting costs means they can make better programming or product then that is good.

While I generally like the new DW, I miss the format of the original DW.

Those episodes had more time to get into the story. The newer DW tends to run a quicker paced show with fewer side paths.

Both can work well with good writing/acting, but the original DW had more room (time) to work with on each story.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #234
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

The Wedding of River Song 6.13

Not a bad episode, although I usually do not like episodes that play with the timeline as I know it.

Kids in the park should never feed the pterodactyls.

I liked the part of the soothsayer. It seemed appropriate given what we know of the doctor.

I always suspected that a woman was behind the doctor's (and time's) problems. (although the Doctor did admit that he was the center of the problem with time.)

The chess game was simply electric and fun to watch. Chess has changed since the last time I played. The loser (well he did not technically lose) agreed to help the Doctor. Too bad he was still sore and wound up losing his head.

Speaking of losing ones head, it was nice to see the blue merchant again. I do not know how he remained alive. At least he has a good Wi-Fi connection. The Doctor was going to get his answer, but wisely IMO, decided to take the merchant out of demons run and into his tardis.

An interesting hypothetical question is raised about the lengths one would go to keep a dangerous secret, well, secret.

It took me a moment to understand the significance of the marks on the arm. (need to remember the past. ) A bit startling to see the silence hanging from the roof.

I would like to see the Doctor save the Dodo and join the Beatles.

Good to see Pond to the rescue, although the eye patches were a bit disconcerting. I did not expect her to have an eye patch or shoot the doctor.

I am not sure how the eye patches work, but I did not expect them to be a trap at the end. (kind of like technology and people. technology may have unexpected consequences and fail us when most needed. I know this analogy is probably a stretch .)

The train into the pyramid was unexpected. I am surprised Egypt permitted this to occur. (Assuming Egypt exists in this time line.) Area 52 was a nice touch, but why have an American flag?

I am not sure how the Silence were able to get out of their cells unless they were playing possum. Why was there water on the ceilings and the stairs?

I get annoyed when the Silence speak since they are difficult to understand. Good thing I have closed captioning.

Madame Kovarian begs Amy to be released from her bonds before the Silence arrive. Amy did not release her, but she was kind enough to adjust Madame Kovarian's eye patch before she left with Rory.

The wedding was nice, though rushed. I am not sure what the Doctor told the bride. (Rule#1 the Doctor lies.)

I liked how he wiggled his way out of Utah in one piece. I do not think I would have thought of this. I think it was well played, but I wonder what happen to the space ship and the people inside since the body was burned afterwards. Perhaps the ship was sacrificed for the greater good?

Too bad we will need till the next episode.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #235
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

while reading the acknowledgments in Brisingr by christopher Paolini (i always read these before the story) i may by a reference to the doctor. It appears the doctor gets around! in the world of Alagaesia he is know as 'the lonely god with many faces, among the stars'.
Now you all maybe aware of this already. But it made me laugh to my self. Its good to see how different medias, ideas and genre can influence each other!
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #236
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Or you could say that Paolini really couldn't come up with a single good idea that he hasn't nicked from somewhere else, but that's probably belonging to another thread.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #237
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol oh dear! not a fan then!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #238
Gwaimir Windgem

http://www.liveforfilms.com/wp-conte...doctor-who.jpg

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #239
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

awww me and my mum thank thats sad poor silence man
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #240
Nerdanel

Quote:
awesome. XD i guess there's always some cost to controlling the world...

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page