Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
CAB
Elven Warrior

Pity

I would like to preface this by admitting this is not a well thought out question. It just occurred to me this morning. Also I am not a Christian, so my knowledge of Christian philosophy is not strong. Nor am I particularly familiar with Tolkien the man. My interests have always revolved around Middle Earth itself…..not the author or those things which may have inspired him.

So….with that out of the way……

What do you think of the role of pity in Tolkien’s writings? How does it relate to his Christian beliefs?

Specifically, I was wondering if pity is meant by Tolkien to be a lesser form of (or really, a precursor to) Christian ideas of love. As in “Love your neighbor.” “Love your enemy”? It seems to me that there is a great deal of overlap between pity and this kind of love. Both likely coming from having some understanding of and being able to empathize with, another.

As I recall, Tolkien’s writings about Middle Earth were meant by him to be an English myth that predated the time of Jesus. So, when Gandalf said that he pitied Sauron’s slaves and when Frodo said he pitied Gollum, etc. (there are surely many other examples…...I can dig up some quotes if needed), were they almost practicing a Christian ideal without quite taking it to the extent that Jesus did? And, of course, in the process leaving the revelation that one should love his enemies something to be revealed by Jesus in a later time?

A related question: If pity is a precursor to Christian love in Tolkien’s writings, then how should we view Nienna, who seems almost an embodiment of pity and empathy?

There are many folks on Entmoot who are far better equipped than I to answer these questions. I would love to hear your opinions.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote