Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

The White Queen

Has anyone watched any of this? I don't think I'll watch any more. Each episode they feel a need to show a certain amount of gratuitous sex and nudity. I have been drawn in by the history and characters though. It's set at the time of the War of the Roses (1455 to 1485 in England).

I read some reviews indicating that the history may not be that sound. I don't doubt it, just because that's how things often go in the realm of entertainment, where history is "adapted" as much as (or more than) any novel might be.

From what I've gathered, the main events of the history seem fairly right - I'm not sure if it's the details, or the settings that historical critics find so out of place. It certainly demonstrates how terrible the succession of royalty became - all too frequently. Also, it has a number of characters practicing witchcraft, and using it to achieve their ends. I find that part rather misguided - it seems to be based on accusations of witchcraft against these historical characters which were basically trumped up charges to try and get them executed. And lots of people get executed... or assassinated.... or killed in battle.

I don't know this part of medieval history particularly well - but now I'm getting interested in it. I've been reading about the various people involved (well... mostly on Wikipedia), and I finally picked up and have now read half of - The Black Arrow - which is set in that time (again, with historical adaptations).

Anyone watching? Any history buffs with something to add?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote