Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

All your mail are belong to us? Or PRISM

A lot of dust-up on the 'net these days about Prism. The report that the NSA routineously collected metadata from Verizon was just the tip of the iceberg, as some of internet giants are said to have happily handed over access to user-data as well.

There's a lot of speculation going on rather than hard evidence from what I've been reading. Of course the internet giants are denying they're allowing unfettered access to their user data, but they're being a bit coy about how much access they do allow, then. It seems to be anyone' guess, really.

I find myself hardly surprised that governments would amass data on people through internet and phone companies, whether it's specific or general info. (Although I am rather annoyed at the idea that the NSA is more interested in foreign people's data and that American people shouldn't worry? WTF is that about? Like it's no less of an intrusion in privacy if you only do it to foreigners? We have our own big brother to deal with, don't need an American one on top of that.)

I kinda wonder what sort of data server they'd need to keep everyone's phone records and internet use data well, indefinitely. I suspect it won't be working with mere terrabites, if such a secret server does exist.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to hear other people's opinion on this.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote