Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
CAB
Elven Warrior

Elvish lines of succession

Something I have wondered about for a while: Why did the Valinorean Noldor (and, most likely, the other two houses of Valinorean Elves) have customs or laws regarding lines of succession?

I am aware that quite some time passed between the awakening of the Elves beside the waters of Cuivienen and their arrival at Valinor. During this time there were unquestionably Elvish deaths and quite possibly some Elvish births. However, the Elves at this time must have had very few material possessions and (seemingly) no powerful rulers. The leaders of the three houses of Elves became “Kings” only some time after their meeting with Orome.

Once the Elves reached Valinor, there was still little need for rules regarding lines of succession, in spite of the growth of material wealth and the power then held by the new Kings. The Elves were immortal. They were (supposedly) safe from harm. The Kings of that time should have remained the Kings until the end of time.

It also seems somewhat strange to me that the immortal Elves would have customs of succession that were the same as those of mortal Men, but I suppose there are reasonable explanations for this.

Did Tolkien ever explain this? If not, perhaps someone has their own explanation. Does the likelihood that the Moriquendi had similar/same customs suggest that, despite the argument I gave above, these rules were developed before the Elves met Orome?
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote