Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
I, too, thought one had to do something for a Nobel Prize. But there was Al Gore and now Obama, so I guess being an American Democrat is sufficient to get an award now-a-days.

The O man was in office for 10 whole days before the award, right? Dyn-o-mite! Sort of like the source of Nobel funds, huh?
Uh, no. He took office in January and the prize was awarded yesterday, and decided upon in September or October.

He was nominated in January, but the standard for being a nominator is very low:

"Qualified Nominators
The right to submit proposals for the Nobel Peace Prize shall, by statute, be enjoyed by:

1. Members of national assemblies and governments of states;
2. Members of international courts;
3. University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
4. Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
5. Board members of organizations who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
6. Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1) and
7. Former advisers appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute."

So, any looney legislator/MP or cloud-cuckoo-land professor can submit a nomination- they usually get about 200.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote