Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Accuracy of Tolkien’s physical descriptions of characters

I have one last question before I must return to the salt-mines of Núrnen for the foreseeable future. It may strike some of you as a little odd or morbid.

Attalus, does Tolkien’s description of Théoden’s death – the labored breathing, the quiet speech, restricted motion, etc. – match clinical experience of people who have suffered severe chest trauma? After all, first his horse fell on him, and then, if I’ve read “Pelennor Field” correctly, rolled over him. Assuming that Snowmane is good-sized animal, he might weight anywhere from 1000 or 1200 pounds to as much as 2000 pounds. Is it reasonable that Théoden survived that long after that kind of trauma, or is this just literature?

When you read Lord of the Rings, do the physical descriptions of the reactions or experiences of the characters sound like what you have seen?

BTW, the British Medical Journal published a report describing the mental condition of Gollum based upon Tolkien’s descriptions. (Available for free with registration.) The commentaries and letters are good, too, particularly the one that claims (tongue-in-cheek, before anyone gets antsy!) the BMJ breached patient confidentiality by publishing Gollum’s name and picture.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote