Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus View Post
So, you're saying any point up until a baby is capable of being born (or removed) it is okay to terminate the pregancy. Am I correct in that assumption? Would the same apply to someone in a coma? Say someone has a car wreck and are in a coma, but otherwise okay, would you terminate them, even if they were going to come out of the coma? Or if there were a chance? They cannot live independently of a nursing staff or machinery, so that must mean that they, too, are parasitic on their family or society, so I guess they are not worth saving.

Trivialize life? That coming from the person who apparently wants to terminate life, even if someone has consented to sex.
People terminate life all the time. You terminate life when you eat a hamburger. The issue Lief keeps raising is that this termination of life he sees as 'murder' because the life in question is 'a baby'. That's where the definitions become important. I don't share this definition. I don't see a fetus that can't exist outside the womb as 'a baby". If things go well, it may sometime become a baby. That's true for sperm, as well, and it's true for the uterine lining that's sloughed off every month. At some point, those things MIGHT become a baby but they aren't.

Unless and until someone is actually pregnant, (and it won't happen to you fellows) they have no real idea of the work involved. because I DO have an idea of the work involved (and I really don't care that Lief is deranged about my truthfulness ) I have an even stronger position than I did as a young person about the importance of giving people choices. Because I care about children, I want them born to people who want them.

As far as life support goes, I think everyone should have a living will and make clear to their loved ones what they'd want if they needed life support. Then I think the doctor and family should do that.

'Pro-choice' means 'the woman is the person (not prospective person) most affected by this decision. It has to be her call.' Nothing about being 'pro-choice' means anyone MUST get an abortion. Women are still free to chose abstinence, or getting married, or giving the baby up for adoption, or whatever. They just can't be required to become mothers.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote