Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus View Post
I can only stop in for a moment, so I'll make this short: How do you measure a human? Is it the genetics? When two haploid gametes fuse and combine genetic material is it not human? It has mostly the same genetic code as anyone else here (as far as we know, bum, bum, bum). Or is it when it is capable of abstract thought? Infants cant do that, any more than can a newbrn bird fly. When does something qualify as human?

This is a serious question and I expect a serious response in turn, there is no sarcasm of any capacity in this post (other than the inserted humor, which was irresistable), so please, all those who may answer: no sarcastic bs or brush offs. Thank you.
For the purposes of this discussion, we're saying "What is a baby?". A baby is an infant human who can live independently of a mother. When that happens, we're in business. So, medical technology can make it so that "viability" happens earlier. Julius Caesar was ripped untimely from his mother's womb, so was MacDuff. Their survival was considered miraculous.

Now doctors can help the survival rate earlier and earlier. But nothing has happened to push it to the first gamete meet and greet. If a woman miscarries (and "miscarriage rates' are estimated to be between 20 and 70% of pregnancies) nothing can yet be done. To even DISCUSS those as 'infant death' is to trivialize life itself in a way I find appalling. It's abhorrent.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote