Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelyafinweMaitimo
I haven't been on for a while, and there are many good points here that I would like to be able to discuss in greater detail, but I've been doing a lot of travelling - unfortunately, my father had a heart attack (he'll be fine, though).

What I do wish to say is that I believe that we cannot deny our faith, no matter what it is founded on. One cannot force oneself to believe the teachings of Christ or Muhammad. Rather, I believe that one must follow whatever path drives them to live well and passionately.

Consider the Hindu proverb: "It is a fool who believe he can walk a path that does not lead to God."

My heart goes out to you and your family. About your father.

Anyway, about the rest of your post. Someone can live meaningfully and paaionately, but for who? Who (or what) is a person living for, when they choose to walk their own path? That proverb is extremely true, but I bet that path doesnt lead through the pages of a fictional book.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"