Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil The Silmarillion > The Bible

I hope this doesn't count as sacrilege or anything, so let me start off with stressing that I perfectly respect religious people; of course I do.

I'm also perfectly aware of the fact the The Bible is much, much more important than The Silmarillion will ever be.
Still, I can't really say The Bible really fit my tastes - there's just something about the atmosphere that I'm not that fond of.
I know it's an extremely important piece of work, and I know that millions of people feel a huge respect for it (as do I), but... no - the atmosphere just doesn't appeal to me.

This is where The Silmarillion comes in.
That book reminds in many aspects about The Bible (The Creation, the gods etc.); but The Silmarillion possesses a kind of atmosphere that I like much better.
The Silmarillion's got more... attitude.
I've never seen characters like Fëanor, Fingolfin, Aredhel and Eöl in The Bible before; those characters are really cool, in a way that I like a lot.
I don't know how to clearly explain this, so this whole post might seem rather vague; but I hope I've at least partly expressed my opinions on the subject.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 04-13-2007 at 05:18 PM.